Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two or one? I know some models came with 2, but not sure about my 1989.

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
According to the electrical schematic in the 1989 GL1500 factory service manual two horns are shown. A high and a low tone pair.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to the electrical schematic in the 1989 GL1500 factory service manual two horns are shown. A high and a low tone pair.
Thank-you! I've got a high-pitched one in there now and have a low-pitched one to add, but wanted to ask before i proceed

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I thought this was going to be one of those "how many wingers does it take to turn a oil filter" jokes... LOL

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Well, at least you didn't ask the radiator capacity of a 1970 VW Beetle:D
I'm going to say two (different cadences as mentioned) is standard.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Yep Two as stated above....Some people have installed add on air type horns either along with the standard horns or they remove/disconnect the standard horns. I have the air horns on mine....sounds like a Mack truck when I hit the horn button....LOL.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Gee and I was going to say it depends on whether it is a male or a female!!! Hehehehee

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Added Fiamm low-tone horn, but no relay. Will the world end because of that?

I picked up a Fiamm low-tone from Pep Boys today; 4AMPs; bent the bracket some to get it to fit, but it works like a champ. The stock low-tone one was no longer functional. I did not install a an inline fuse and relay, though - just hooked to stock wiring. I assume the 15amp horn/turn signal circuit can handle it. Am I correct?

Also, noticed on the way into work today at 65mph on the interstate the sound and maybe even the volume were anemic, yet at 45mph around town, it's plenty loud enough. Then I figured it out... maybe... these horns work like speakers via vibration. Yes, there is a thin aluminum/pot metal protective element in front of the horn, but the horn itself faces the front of the bike. So that when I'm traveling 65mph, I'm inadvertently pushing wind against the horn/speaker element, muffling its sound... or at least that's my story. The hard shell horn covering you get on some horns would go a long ways towards rpeventing wind force from stifling the speaker... I mean horn :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts