Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the side kickstand on a GL1500 supposed to lock on its own when in the down position? Or is the weight of the bike the only thing that keeps it in the down position?

Thanks,
Greg

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
I wouldn't say it locks but the resistance of the spring keeps it down not the weight of the bike.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't say it locks but the resistance of the spring keeps it down not the weight of the bike.
Thanks, Bill. Mine is raised off the ground on a trike kit as if on a jack stand. And it won't stay down; it springs back up on its own. Might be because it's rubbing against a metal part of the underside of some protective covering attached to the frame. But you're saying it should stay down on its own and not spring up, right?

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
That's the way I know it to be Greg. I always have to lean the bike off the stand & push it up with my foot.

You may want to spray the spring & stand pivot with some penetrating fluid of sorts. Actually I would probably take it apart, clean it up, spray it, & put it back together. My bet is it would work just fine then.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Foss is right, it stays down on it's own.
When it passes 6 o'clock position, there is a catch or stop position.

Sounds like something is keeping it from getting to that position and the spring is just doing it's job.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
You have a trike, why do you want your side stand down? It has to be up for the bike to run.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Using the literal meaning of the word lock-The Wings side stand does not lock in the down position. If the bike is parked facing toward a downward slope and left in neutral. It can roll forward and the side stand will retract and down goes the bike.
There is a "slight" over center that is present that allows the stand to stay in the down position while you lean the bike over onto it. The tension that is on the spring wants to retract it into the up position once you have passed the "over center" position as you are raising the side stand. That spring has nothing to do with keeping the the side stand in the down position.
Having said all that-your avatar shows an outrigger system on your bike, not a trike kit.
Are you having an issue w/the side stand when you have the outrigger removed? I can not imagine any other time one would want the side stand down.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys,

I can't get to the final drive plug to change out the lube w/out removing the outrigger. It's right over the plug area. To remove the outrigger, I have to get the side stand working (makes sense since there won't be anything to hold up the bike). That's what I'm asking about this.

I don't think the outrigger is interfering with the side stand, but I'll double check that. The outrigger did require the removal of the center stand to install the brackets for the outrigger.

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
As stated: There is a "slight" over center that is present that allows the stand to stay in the down position while you lean the bike over onto it.
If it will not stay down, then there is something wrong. Make sure you are getting it in the full down position, then remove your foot. It should stay there.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mystery solved

Thanks guys for your pointers, saying that there is something wrong if it doesn't stay down. I got down under there and sure 'nuf, somewhere in the bike's past it suffered a curb encounter that bent the frame behind the kickstand down to interfere with the kick stand spring operation. An large set of vice grips with the kickstand as leverage and a few choice words later, she's working just fine.

I'm tellin' ya, having a trike kit is like having a permanently-mounted lift and so far, has made servicing the bike easier.

Now, I'm off to do the rear brakes which are in dire need of new pads, which I have (EBC's). Let's hope the tech at my local Honda dealer was not telling my future when he said the last old GW he did brakes on required a complete rebuild of the caliper due to frozen pistons.

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
469 Posts
Glad you got that sorted! I can tell you from first hand experience, on '84 & later that 9228475489yhtrpo4rfj...stand will NOT come up on it's own! I wrote off my first wing because of the stand..OK..it was because "I" forgot to lift it up.:eek:
After all the dust settled a few wks later I had an opportunity to speak with a Honda rep about the stands on '84 & up.
He explained that pre '84 there had been a number of complaints about wings "rolling off" the side stands on surprisingly shallow grades.
In an effort to address these issues Honda increased the angle AND the length of the side stands.
This cured the problem,but, unfortunately that "improvement" didn't help me in my lapse of judgement.
With the side stand down @ 60mph I went into a left sweeper & the stand hit the pavement & it was done deal at that point..full on tank slapper!:eek:
I don't know how many of you have experienced that,but, I don't think even superman could hold the bars..the force is unbelievable:eek:
I gave up trying to hold it...got it down to about 40mph & jumped..landed on the soft shoulder..cracked 3 ribs & lost two teeth:eek: Could have been MUCH worse.:eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts