Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you 1800 owners who have owned a 1500, is the 1800 that much larger or larger feeling than the 1500? The 1800 looks massive in the showroom. I've got a 1500 and it seems manageable and is no bigger than my Ultra Classic. The 1800 for some reason seems larger. I've never ridden an 1800 and, in fact, had never ridden a GW until acquiring my 1500. The only reason I waited so long to dip my foot into the GW waters was my perception of the 1800 as an extremely large bike. Is it?

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Yes, it is big. However, my pet name for one is "Obese Crotch Rocket"!
Very agile, handles well. Go test one, you'll be in the market then.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
I've owned a 98 GL1500 and now my 09 1800. I loved the 1500 and it gave me 11 years of enjoyment and I had hesitation about moving to the 1800, but once I did I never looked back. As good as the 1500 was, the 1800 is that and much more. Both were great highway touring machines, but the 1800 is very nimble, especially through the twisties, and with the EFI much more responsive. JMHO.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which is exactly why I need to stay away from a test ride :) As soon as the jacks/kickstand for the Voyager trike kit come in, I plan to take off the kit and see how my GL1500 handles on its own.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Physically, there is little dimensional difference in the two bikes, wheelbase is identical but the 1500 is substantially lighter (nearly 100lbs). However, the redesigned frame on the 1800 makes the added weigh almost disappear, and the seat on the 1800 is a full inch lower. Handling of the two is night and day, although many 1500 riders like the cushy feel of the 1500 better; the 1800 being a bit more taught in the suspension and way more athletic feeling. I loved my 1500, but I would never go back after having the 1800.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The pet name pretty much sums in up on the GW. I was concerned about the size of the Wing since I also ride a Concours sport touring bike, but I've found the Wing handles very well. My slow speed riding skill isn't where it should be in comparison to the Connie, but it is getting better.

Even for the size of the 1800 GW, if it goes down :( it can easily be picked back up with the right technique. (parked in a KS wind!!) :mad:)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pet name pretty much sums in up on the GW. I was concerned about the size of the Wing since I also ride a Concours sport touring bike, but I've found the Wing handles very well. My slow speed riding skill isn't where it should be in comparison to the Connie, but it is getting better.

Even for the size of the 1800 GW, if it goes down :( it can easily be picked back up with the right technique. (parked in a KS wind!!) :mad:)
Sounds as if I should not have avoided a GW for as long as I did. And now, perhaps the GL1800 will be a future bike for me.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sounds as if I should not have avoided a GW for as long as I did. And now, perhaps the GL1800 will be a future bike for me.
Do it, if you are even remotely considering it, you owe yourself the pleasure that is riding a GL1800.
Nothing else compares!

You may not attract all the hot ladies but you will have the personal satisfaction of being on the finest two wheeled machine ever made.

The instant you release the clutch and roll on the throttle, all doubt will be removed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey brother...being that I just switched over from the VTX family too, thought I'd throw out some initial opinions. Where the VTX in my opinion, is very tall (And I'm 6'5") and (inherent to v-twins,) somewhat 'top heavy', the 1800 with all the weight down low seems MUCH...nimbler...I guess is the word I want to use. YES it is heavy at a standstill, but balances beautifully and man what a difference when you are rolling! Even at slow speed, it is quite agile once you get used to NOT seeing the front tire in front of you. Someone used the phrase: 'Electric motorcycle'...that kinda sums up my feelings after 2 HD's and the VTX.
QUIET, SMOOTH, and POWERFUL...like running on rails!

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
my 1500 felt much bigger, longer and heavier than the 1800 i test rode a few weeks ago

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
OK, so what's your overall take on the 1800 detdr? Ya like it or what?

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
OK, so what's your overall take on the 1800 detdr? Ya like it or what?
better brakes, more power, throttle response, less weight, and handles better than either of my wings. still don't care for the looks of the headlights

1 - 12 of 12 Posts