Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 83 1100 Interstate. My wife and I are thinking of dumping our regular tent trailer and getting one that we can pull behind our subcompact and maybe the GW. I'm wondering whether the 1100 has the capacity to pull around 300 pounds with two up. I've only had the bike a year but it doesn't exactly seem overpowered. Anyone had any experience pulling a trailer with an 1100?

·
Registered
835 Posts
You're right aw, the 1100 isn't overpowered with 2 up, let alone a trailer. There were many a time I found myself looking for a little more "oomph". It was that much more important to "pick your spots", whereas the 1800 and even 1500 have enough juice to compensate for bad decisions/tight spots. I never pulled a trailer with my 1100 but the p/o had a hitch on it so.....
Ride safe,
Strat

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I am sure the experts will chime in and get you better info but:

Are you saying 300 lbs for just the trailer? or does that include the 2 passengers?

That sounds like alot for any bike if you are pulling 300 lbs + passengers.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know a whole lot about trailers. I have a friend that bought one recently and I thought that he told me it was 300 lbs. I've looked briefly on the net and I saw some for 250. Can anyone tell me what a decent tent trailer weighs? Between my other and myself, we'd be 300 lbs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "not overpowered". I rode a 1982 GL1100I for 14 years. I bought a 1992 GL1500SE last year after riding several others and all I can say is my 1100 would run circles around them. My wife and I made many long trips fully loaded including a ride up The Mount Washington Auto Road. My only concern with pulling a trailer with an 1100 is the higher, narrower power band. The 1100 does not start pulling hard until about 3000-3500 RPMs. This could make pulling out, especially on hills, very hard on the clutch. That being said, there are 1100's pulling trailers with little to no problems.

On the other hand I might not know what I'm talking about ;-)

Keith

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are right about the higher powerband. And the GW does seem to love to run at those higher rpms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts