Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to change rear tire on my 03 wing for the first time and was wondering if you can get the tire off without removing fender or bags.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I am getting ready to do mine for the first time. Depending on model may only have to remove the back fender and stero amp to pull the tire out while on center stand. If on a jack you don't even have to do that. There are a lot of guys that lay the bike down on the engine & bag guards on the right side and remove the wheel. Once laid down you have to raise the wheel a few inches and extend the centerstand to hold the wheel in the air while you remove the lugs. I would like to break loose the lugs while the tire is on the ground and sidestand to avoid strain on tranny (probably wouldn't hurt anything in the first place) but looks like it is going to be hard to get to the lugs while on the sidestand. Mabe someone else can give us some pointers on how to best break the lugs.

·
Super Moderator
9,857 Posts
A number of guys on another forum have used the technique that Chopin has sent you. Remember if you lay the Wing over you can't have highway pegs attached to the engine guard. You need to remove them first so the Wing will lay on the crash bars. Good luck and ride safe..

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks like the lay down method from the you tube video is a good way to go.Will probably use this method. thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I recently changed my rear tyre, I put a 4 x2 under the feet of the center stand (to raise the bike by 1.5 inches) and lifted the bike onto it's center stand. Then removed the rear mudguard panel (5 bolts on my 2003 goldwing) with the number plate attached. I was then able to undo the wheel bolts, slide the wheel out the back and get the tyre changed. The bike was very stable stood on it's center stand and block of wood and it was surprisingly easy to do. The hardest part is trying to get the bike on it's center stand with the piece of wood underneath!! after that it's childs play..

·
Registered
405 Posts
If I had a tire already mounted on a spare wheel I would do the lay down method. But I would hate to have in in that position if it takes a long time to get to the shop for them to mount a new tire.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
lay down the bike,2x4???? i just changed the rear tire on my 2005,put on center stand,put in 1st gear,removed fender back & rail,took off lugs ,tilt the wheel on angle & roll the wheel out the back.

·
Registered
405 Posts
lay down the bike,2x4???? i just changed the rear tire on my 2005,put on center stand,put in 1st gear,removed fender back & rail,took off lugs ,tilt the wheel on angle & roll the wheel out the back.
Hello Bobby. I have an '08 and they keep talking about part of the sound package being a pain to remove in order to get the wheel out while on the center stand. Supposedly that is the reason for laying it on its side. Did you have to take out an amphifier or anything like that to get the tire out?

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update on changing the rear tire,laid the bike on it's side as the video shows,no need for a jack or taking off the rear fender it was real easy after getting through the idea of laying your bike on it's side. thanks Chopin

·
Registered
11 Posts
I need to remove my rear tire to get a new one mounted too. I think its too far gone to ride there. My problem is I just filled the fuel tank up 20 miles down the road. My question that I pose is, do I need to worry about the fuel level, and spillage by laying the bike over for a few hours in order to get the tire off and remounted?

·
Super Moderator
28,452 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF froglaps. Yes they recommend only having a small amount of fuel in the tank. I am not an 1800 guy so don't know the exact but something tells me I remember seeing less than 1/2 tank.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The least amount of fuel the better when laying the bike over. Not trying to chastise you but I'd never let a tire get that far gone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts