Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had a trailer, and while I would like the additional cargo space on long trips, I recall reading in the owner's manual that the bike isn't designed to pull trailers. Is that just "legalese" from Honda, or are there potential problems with the transmission or handling with a trailer.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Had a great time pulling mine on a 2500 mile trip down to the Smokies and up the BRP through PENN and NY up north of Montreal and back down and across to the UP and Mackinaw; then down the west side of Mi and back home to Indiana.

It was wonderful.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My humble understanding of this is,exactly what you heard!Honda legal wants no liability with towing a trailer,and there are huge changes in handling,braking,and acceleration as well as cornering.Lots o people do it so practice and be careful,and,NEVER EVER TELL YOUR DEALER THAT YOU TOW A TRAILER!!!Also,try to remove your hitch before taking it in,Ive got friends who've been refused certain warranty coverages because they pull trailers!

·
Banned
3,204 Posts

I have a 94 1500. I bought a used hitch from ebay for $35.00 I bought a $500 Spirit Trailer and pulled it 3500 miles this spring to Arizona, all around Arizona and back to Seattle. No problems.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I have pulled a trailer on every Gold Wing I have owned (6 of them)except the last 2 which was an 02 & an 08. And that was only because my wife doesn't ride with me anymore (back Injury).
Most dealers don't care if you have a trailer hitch but some might. They are great if you plan on traveling. The only draw back is when you cross a toll bridge you will be charged for a 3 axle vehicle. If you go by what Honda says is specs for the bike you probably won't be able to ride double either.

·
Super Moderator
14,409 Posts
if you are going to pull a trailer what you need is a vehicle designed for the job http://www.bankruptcymastery.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/tractor-trailer.jpg :)
How does it handle through the twisties?

A lot of my friends pull trailers and do not seem to have a problem. I've been thinking about adding a rack onto a hitch for some extra hauling room. I know a couple that have these and like the extra space. Still have to think about that behind you but you aren't pulling more wheels.

·
Super Moderator
28,431 Posts
I've been thinking about adding a rack onto a hitch for some extra hauling room. I know a couple that have these and like the extra space.
I don't know if you remember Crownfire but here is a link to what I ended up doing for my 1500. It worked fantastic, no issues at all, & actually if it wasn't for having to take it off when we got to the Hotel you wouldn't have even known it was there.

Now before everyone starts to chime in about blocking the License Plate. We went 9K+ in 27 States & never had an issue with the boys in blue. It really doesn't block the plate as much as it appears.

http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3771

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
How does it handle through the twisties?

A lot of my friends pull trailers and do not seem to have a problem. I've been thinking about adding a rack onto a hitch for some extra hauling room. I know a couple that have these and like the extra space. Still have to think about that behind you but you aren't pulling more wheels.
i saw a pic of a guy with a 1500 wing, he had a hitch and rack combo with a trunk from another 1500 ( same color as his wing ) bolted on the rack. the trunk lights were wired and plugged into the pigtail so they would work too. i thought about doing the same thing but i never have a passenger so there is plenty room on the seat right behind me

·
Super Moderator
14,409 Posts
I don't know if you remember Crownfire but here is a link to what I ended up doing for my 1500. It worked fantastic, no issues at all, & actually if it wasn't for having to take it off when we got to the Hotel you wouldn't have even known it was there.
I remember, that is why I have it in the back of my mind. I have a friend who makes them and it is a nice setup.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Some trailers will effect handling/ride more than others. Bushtec and Escapade both have air suspension and you will be hard pressed to know they are back there. Yes, you need to allow a bit more room to stop, be careful where you pull in and park (practice backing up before going on a trip!) and learn how to load/care for the setup.

Tips: If you have a 200 pound trailer and put 200 pounds in it, you need to have about 35 to 40 pounds of weight on the ball or mount of the hitch. This keeps the trailer from swaying in most cases. NOTE: if you put a bag or trunk on a hitch mount as mentioned, without a trailer, chances are with any load at all you will have a LOT more than 40 pounds on the back of the bike. I like a trailer better than those racks on the back.

When towing, be sure to check tires, and axles for excess heat at every stop, and inspect the hitch, wiring and safety chains. Also check the load to make sure it hasn't shifted.

The proper attitude for a trailer is ever so slightly downhill (towards the front) so that the load doesn't move back and take all the weight off the hitch.

Spend the money on a good trailer, and you will enjoy it for many years, and if you take care of it, you will get most of your money back if you sell it. Cheap trailer won't tow as well, won't last as long, and will depreciate more. Many people like some of the cheap trailers, but I have had both types, and my Bushtec is worth every penny.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ride a 2006 1800. Just bought a trailer, rode it to the Regional rally (oops Convention) in Colorado from Palm Springs. 1st time pulling a trailer, rode 2600 miles 7 states and no problem. Other than forgetting it is there. Extremely high winds and seem to have no effect over the ride. Just ride safe and smart.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Lost a dear friend whom was pulling a trailer.
In a rain, came out from beneath an overpass, got hit by a cross wind, trailer whipped throwing friend off bike into oncoming lane, where he was run over by a vehicle unable to avoid him.
Witnessed by his son following him on his own Wing.
As stated, put on a hitch-lose you warranty on major drive train components. Especially if you are at a strange dealership away from your own and if the factory rep happens to come look while at any dealership!
I would only pull a trailer behind a trike. JMO.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Lost a dear friend whom was pulling a trailer.
In a rain, came out from beneath an overpass, got hit by a cross wind, trailer whipped throwing friend off bike into oncoming lane, where he was run over by a vehicle unable to avoid him.
Witnessed by his son following him on his own Wing.
As stated, put on a hitch-lose you warranty on major drive train components. Especially if you are at a strange dealership away from your own and if the factory rep happens to come look while at any dealership!
I would only pull a trailer behind a trike. JMO.
Sorry about your friend deputydawg , but as we all know anything can happen , for God's sake we are riding motorcycles and we know the risk are far greater for accidents than in cars . I would be willing to bet the main reasons for a large amount of fatalities on bikes are attributed to the same causes as fatalities in cars , Alcohol , speed and lack of attention , split between the driver of the car and the rider of the bike ! I am not saying it doesn't add to the danger to pull a trailer , but thousands of bikes are pulling trailers without incident , so i guess what i am saying is for every variable added to riding a bike there is a chance of a mishap occuring that could be indirectly or directly related to that variable . I had a friend killed last year and it was his fault because he thought drinking and riding went hand - in - hand . He had done it for years and it caught up to him ! He was a hell of a bike rider that always said he wasn't impaired at all and there was no reason to worry about him ! I for one don't understand the guy's who bragg about how fast they can take curves and dragging the pegs , but i won't be the one who is scraped off the pavement when the luck runs out ! I say to each his own and ride safe !!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have trailer, bolted the rack on the tongue of trail with U bolts. When arriving a base camp, unbolt the rack and put rack back on hitch. Best of both worlds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts