Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased the bike this past spring, it came with a trailer. I have not used the trailer until now. I had to do a little rewiring but it all works now and seems to pull rather well. I am pulling a matching trailer with my 1992 Aspencade 1500cc bike.
I packed it full of camping gear and pulled it to the next town just 20 miles away. No issues.

I was wondering if any of you riders out there would have some advice for pulling a trailer.
I didn't have any problems with cornering, acceleration, braking...
Things to watch for?
Possible problems or issues?

Thanks in advance.

JJ

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Just make sure you have some good tongue weight on the trailer or you will get back and forth movement on it.

Give yourself plenty of room for stopping. Remember, your brakes were designed for the weight of the motorcycle, not the extra 450 lbs that could be back there.

Park so that you don't have to use that reverse with the trailer.

Check the air pressure in those tires and you might check the age of them as well

Also, the bearing grease should be suspect if it has been sitting for awhile.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Balancing the load over the axle and keeping tongue weight reasonable. And remember that while pulling that trailer your fuel range decrease rather fast, so you won't be able to push that tank of fuel as far.

·
Registered
674 Posts
some good info here that I didnt think of thanks for sharing guys

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, all good information. Two things I didn't think about...1. The gas consumption and 2. The trailer axel needing to be lubed.

Thanks so much for the advice.

The reverse will not work so well with the trailer? Or...is it a bit much to ask of that little starter motor?

JJ

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
When you go over a toll bridge you will pay for a 3 axle vehicle.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
That's another good point Joe, same with ferry charges too I believe. The one thing I did notice when pulling a trailer was the tendency for the trailer to 'push' a wee bit in a downhill corner. Nothing alarming but something to consider when negotiating downhill sweepers. Just like towing with a car or truck, you have limits as to what you can do.

·
Registered
50 Posts
"loaded with camping gear..."

I would suggest keeping weight minimized until you have more experience.

The general rule is 10-15% of the trailer weight should be on the tongue. Use a bathroom scale.

Realize too that riding 2up, the rear already has close to max weight on it. If you add significant trailer weight, you are pushing things. Go easy. Make sure your rear tire is in good shape and properly inflated. Well, both tires really.

Then again, many,many Wingers pull trailers without problems. Just take it easy. Be especially careful in the rain.

Ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts