Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Goldwing is a bike I hold respect for, but not really one I'd ever own. Or so I thought. I'm 24, a buck-fifty soaking wet still fresh out of the service and having spent years in both the rodeo and flat track racing. I'm a little wild for such a big bike. I'm into vintage bikes with smaller engines as naked as i can get them. The Goldwing, although I'd kill for a Rune or an early gl1000, was never on my list of a bike I wanted anything to do with. On May first that all changed when a dear friend of mine perished, leaving me his 1984 Aspencade with 36k on the odie. He was a pretty stout guy and he loved this bike, so it gave me hope. I haven't taken it out yet, sitting on it all day polishing chrome (not a task I have ever taken part of) and trying to learn what I can about this monster. Maiden voyage is the funeral this Saturday.

I am a member of HondaTwins.net and it saved me and my pile of '71 CB350. So here I came running. The only publication i have for the bike is an exerpt of a manual, sadly only chapter 4 - Engine.
What i know of the bike is little. I had no Idea what the air hookup is for, or how it worked, but I imagine that it has something to do with why the bike is sitting so low on the suspension. Can i pump that up with any compressor? I fear an alternator issue because with the manual/chapter 4 came a printout of some how-to-do instructions for mounting a gm alternator under the skin of the bike bypassing the original. not so sure thats the road i want to take, so how hard is it to get to the alternator if someone went though the trouble of mounting a gm alt?

I'm pretty handy around a two-wheeler. My love for the dirt oval has led me to cut down many of my rides to look like a tracker. This thing is going to be an adventure I can tell. I'm already in love practically abandoning my other rides. I took the trunk off leaving only the big seat and side bags... stunning.

so hello all, sorry i wasted so much time on this first thread. I'm gonna ask a lot of questions if you don't mind, many thanks in advance. Ride safe out there

woody

middle of the corn, Pennsylvania

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
That was a great first post Woody, and welcome for sure. I was 27 when I bought my '84 (new) so ya got me beat there. You said it was an Aspy so it should have it's own compressor.The switches should be on the right side of the fairing below the glove box. If memory serves, the key needs to be on, but the engine off, bike stationary. If there is also a manual valve behind the right side cover like my Interstate had, it will fill both shocks. There's a thread in the general section (I think) regarding the poorboy alternator conversion. Also some informaton about soldering the wire connectors on the stator if you don't do the conversion that seems to work too. Have fun!:cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so I hooked up a portable air compressor and tried to pump up the bike. what exactly is the purpose of this compressor. i tried pushing the buttons without the compressor hooked up and it didn't seem like it was doing anything. how much of a difference am I looking for when I pump it up or release it? and how do I get the center stand down? any tricks for that beast? the warning on the compressor pannel says something about the center stand. other than that....still polishing.

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
Woody, welcome to the forum from the Keystone state and congrats on your new (2u) Wing. Where abouts in Pa are you? I'm not sure about the 84 Wing, but had an onboard compressor on my 98 GL1500 SE. It was used to raise and lower the rear suspension and could also be used to inflate the tires. There was a connection in the side saddlebag for that connection. As far as the center stand, there should be a lever on the same side as the kickstand that you stand on and pull the bike back and it will go right up. If you have the suspension set to the highest setting it makes it easier.

Good luck with your new scoot and ride safe...

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
Here's a video on the center stand..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
south-central pa. delta to be exact. i'm going to see whats up with this center stand. as for the suspension, i'm still not getting it. if i release all the air maybe i will see a difference when pumping it back up.do i bleed it though the valve? i'm sure i'll figure it out. thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
The compressor bleeds itself. The valve in the saddlebag is used with an extension hose that is used to inflate the tires if need be. Maybe the compressor is not working properly since it is 26 years old.

South central PA..... that should be somewhere around State College..

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF woody32. if you have an '84 aspy the controls to increase or decrease the air in the suspension are on the right side of the fairing in front of your knee when sitting on the bike

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome aboard. As for changing the stator it's not that hard. If you get the Clymer manual. That is what I have and it walks you through everything. I have torn this bike down twice, to do the stator. The first time the stator just went bad. The second time was because the retainer nut came loose, Burnt out the stator. I personal don't like the add on alternator. So thats why I pulled the engine again. By the way the bike is a 1984 Aspencade with 107000 miles. I don't know if the compressor works or not. I have not rode the bike yet. I got it with the bad stator. I have been redoing the engine parts and other things while the engine is out. Taking some years of the old girl. Anything not in a manual this guys on the site will know. just ask and some one will have the answer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
very nice guys. thanks. i meant way south, MD line, and in the center. york county.

so tire pressure....
the compressor pumps up the tires too? How does that work? And theres a stationary hose to fill up the back tire in the saddle bag? How does THAT work? I guess i am about to learn alot here real soon.

I'd like to get all the body panels off this winter, do some paint while i mess with the engine.
what about exhaust options and alternate front fairings. i'm not a big fan of the square light up front. is there maybe a round swap out. i'm honestly not a big fan of the whole front fairing setup in general. is there a good website for 1200's aftermarket options?

thanks a ton guys. i might just enjoy all of this.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
York county ! I picked up my '76 Harley Super Glide in York, PA when I returned home from a year's tour in Japan, was discharge also at the ripe age of 24. I live just south of Leesburg, VA and Rt 15 north is one of my major escape routes for a ride. A day trip to Amish country is on my list of promised rides with the wife ( that's another story ). Semper Fi young soldier ! Anyone for a breakfast ride to a " Perkin's " somewhere in PA soon ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yep, this here is Amish country for sure. I have three farms withing spitting distance from my front door, all Amish. Which is nice for cheep fresh goods but not good if you are in a hurry going anywhere. What is it with women and wanting to go see the Amish but then complain that I won't cut my beard...

·
Registered
15 Posts
hello and welcome new wing rider. it will make you very happy once u get your feet wet i would not trade them for anything

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
I'd like to get all the body panels off this winter, do some paint while i mess with the engine.
what about exhaust options and alternate front fairings. i'm not a big fan of the square light up front. is there maybe a round swap out. i'm honestly not a big fan of the whole front fairing setup in general. is there a good website for 1200's aftermarket options?
woody32, Greetings from another Pa guy (due North) Anyway there are various places to look for aftermarket parts.

wingstuff.com - one of our site sponsors
cyclemaxohio.com
chromeworld.com
wingdreams.com

even oem & salvage part sites
hdlparts.com
oldbikebarn.com

Hope these help & have fun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts