Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I currently own a Honda ST1300 of which I am very happy with. I rode it around Australia and found it great for touring. I am thinking of upgrading to a Goldwing, but I am a little concerned that it may be cumbersome in comparison with the 1300. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has made this transition and their comments.

I have read another comparison (ST1300 vrs Goldwing) on this forum.

John

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Joe in Calf went from a Goldwing to a Kawasaki Concours and I'm sure he can give you some info on the subject. He checks in here every now and then. You can also PM him.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Well Simo, just remember that the ST isn't exactly svelt at 760 lbs curb weight either. The full bell and whistle Wing is 928 so a mere (?) 168 lbs heavier. The bigger measure is really in the C of G of the two; while the Wing is heavier and longer, the C of G is actually a bit higher on the ST. It outhandles the Wing at speed better because of the more sporting seating/peg position and the shorter wheelbase, not so much a function of the weight. Surprisingly, there isn't a whole lot of difference in the braking department, both the ST and the GL haul down from 60 mph an the mid 120' zone (126 roughly). But in the comfort category especially two u, there are very few challengers that best a Goldwing (some riders and passengers of other bikes will argue), but in a large volume of people survey the Wing is the two up comfort King of the touring world. I'm a sporting orientated rider and I ride both my Wing and my crotch rocket with a fair bit of gusto, and the Wing has it's pedigree firmly planted in the roots of HRC product. It's fast, smooth, agile, and remarkably sporty in the twisties, but also plush and luxurious at the sme time. Many will say it's a 900# sport tourer and that's not at all incorrect. They are amazingly adept with more than adequate cornering ability for just about any aggressive riding situation. Will they run head to head with a Concours or ST bike at the upper end of the spectrum? ... no; but at the end of the day, they're going to be right there in the mirror with any but the most serious canyon carver. Parking lot maneuvers take some practice to get used to the heft of a (ok any) large tourer like the Wing, but once accustomed to it, they are easy and predictable.
Do yourself a favour and see if you can test ride one, you won't be disappointed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts