Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2002 Gold Wing that I just bought with 17K miles. I think the front end is way too stiff. Even small bumps in the road seem pretty sharp almost like I have ridden thru a pothole. My mechanic is telling me that the proportion control valve is defective and should be replaced. Says it is covered by Honda warranty because it was a safety recall. From what I can tell, this little valve is integrated in between the hydraulic brakes and the front end forks. Anyone else have a similar issue and did the replacement of the valve cure it? We already replaced the standard steering bearings with the tapered after market set from All Balls Racing to eliminate the handle bar vibration at lower speeds. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
On the front fork you have an anti-dive valve, if that is not working properly you can get a harsh ride, it is bled with the brake system so if the proportion control valve is bad it could cause that problem. It's a warranty item so have them replace it before you loose your rear brakes. Also if the previous owner replaced the front springs with after market springs it will cause the bike to ride harsh. Do you know if he ever changed the fork oil?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the thorough response. Don't know if the fork oil was changed or not? Will ask the seller. If it hasn't do you recommend we also change this in addition to the proportion control valve? Is it a big deal to change the fork oil? What oil do you recommend? Thanks for the followup response.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts