Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought home a new motorcycle floor jack. I'm having a problem finding a suitable spot to lift my 83 gl1100. The exhaust pipes are in the way. Im assuming I shouldn't lift on th pipes. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
cycle jack

Hey Mcross,sitting here thinkin bout that,I'd put (2) 2x4s longways on the jack so they'd fit between the exhaust against the frame,When I have to lift mine any higher than that I use a nylon tow strap and lift the cycle with a chainfall from the rafters,hope this helps.....Lazz

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Cross,

I had one (I think like yours) for about a year. I kept thinking I would get comfortable with this as I made spacers and well, everyone out there has one-they must be ok.

I did make spacers for my 600 lb sabre but I was not a fan because I could not strap it until it was in position. I never cared for that time while I was lifting it up. I spent most of my life lifting up to 6000 lb molds and dies in a machine shop so this is nothing right?

I did feel pretty comfortable once I had it strapped. But while it was strapped, I moved it to see better-couldn't move the overhead light. The space was tight, I was careful. I did not see the front wheel catch the bench and it very nearly slid off. The metal does NOT stick at all to the rubber-it easy slides off. I was holding the bike, couldn't let go and freaking out wondering how to get out this mess. I finally got it back on and lowered it to the ground. Never used it again. Don't have a great answer as real lifts are expensive and heavy.

Not saying not to use it. I am saying don't ever completely trust it.

My advise is that a real lift is not as expensive as a few parts on the bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts