Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have a 2007 'Wing with original tires. I installed one of the Show Chrome tire pressure monitoring system. I know understand the meaning of the phrase, "ignorance is bliss". I think I was better off without it.

The Goldwing owner's manual says the tire pressure should be 36 psi front and 41 psi rear. When cold, my TPMS shows the tire pressure to be 38 psi / 41 psi. But after riding today for an hour or so (warm day in Connecticut, rider and passenger 395 lbs) , the TPMS receiver was showing 41 psi on the front and 47 psi on the rear- high enough that it was giving me a high pressure alert message for the back tire.

The rear tire pressure seemed unreasonably high. But I couldn't really let any air out, because then cold, it would be below the Honda specs. I could also raise the alert threshold on the alarm, but I'm not sure that would be appropriate there. What are the right numbers? Alternatively, I could return to the "ignorance is bliss" state and remove the TPMS.

Anybody have any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
23,794 Posts
Two or three pounds pressure difference when heated up is expected. Some of the pressure/ temperature change has to do with the tire. I run a car tire on the rear and by nature, or design, it runs cooler. Of course that 400 lbs of personnel is a contributing factor. Try it solo and take a reading. I don't have TPMS and probably never will but that shouldn't disqualify me from posting.

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
I doubt that those pressure are out of line with a warm tire.
What are the max cold inflation pressure on the tire. If the tires aren't the same manufacturer and series that came on the bike new, the information in the owner's manual could be wrong for the tire.
I go by the information on the tire.
Works for me.

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
I think the function of a TPMS is more for low pressure and in the cast of a run flat c/t, no pressure. I'd ignore high pressure as long as you maintain proper pressures when tire is cold.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Shortly after buying my 2012 my TPMS light came on for a few blocks then would go off by the time I got to the corner station to check the pressure and all would be fine?
this got worse and the light stayed on longer until finally the light stayed on. I bought a small compressor and checked the pressure first thing in the morning before moving the bike and I was surprised how low my tires were. once I adjusted the pressure cold all was fine and the light stays off.
you may bring your bike into a station that will fill your ride with Nitrogen and see if that will help with the normal but excessive tire pressure range. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think Nitrogen does not get affected that much by temprature.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think Nitrogen does not get affected that much by temperature.
True but, the air we breath or inflate with is 78% Nitrogen! Using Nitrogen has been "debunked" on many threads/posts. No way to purge of the "air" from a tire and have 100% Nitrogen!
The rule of thumb is for every 10° Fahrenheit change in air temperature, your tire's inflation pressure will change by about 1 psi (up with higher temperatures and down with lower).

Here's a very informative article on the subject:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=73
People used to think I was nuts talking about summer and winter air.
It all comes down to doing exactly what tire manufacturers have advised for years. Check your pressures cold(whatever cold is in your area). Check for impaled objects regularly. Don't waste money on TPMS's, unless you can adjust the point the "alarms" display.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Cold tire pressure is before you start riding and before the tire starts to heat up. IMO recommended tire pressures are just that, a recommended starting point. Check the sidewall of the tire for max ratings,( max 2,000 lbs at 50 psi cold ) for instance. If you and your co-rider are of a larger build with the bags fully loaded (Goldwingers NEVER overload a motorcycle), pulling a trailer, 41 psi may not be enough air to support that load. Check your tires for irregular wear, irregular wear may be corrected by adding a few more lbs of air pressure, but DO NOT EXCEED THE MAX AIR PRESSURE RATING on the tire. Our chapter educator did an article on GWVR and he had stated that a GL can take 412 lb of rider, passenger and contents to bring it to fully loaded. Guess what, between my co-rider and myself, we're overloaded before leaving the driveway.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I had an after market TPMS on my 08, for about 4 months and than I sold it. Never use it to check the correct air pressure, they can and will be off by a pound or two. You can reset the alert signals both high and low points on them, kind of complicated to do but it can be done. If you have one it's best use is to alert you if your getting a flat tire. Your tire air pressure and temp will rise as you ride. Most wing riders run 38 front and 40 rear. The suggested pressure by Honda is for the OEM tires and the air pressure on the side wall of the tires are the MAX air pressure you should run. I ran 38 & 40 in my 02 & 08

·
Premium Member
23,794 Posts
How did you pick 32 psi Lee on your c/t? Do you change pressure with a passenger?
32 was the consensus of the Darksiders who ride that brand. Some a little more, some a little less. I don't change it when I two up. I figure with the added weight and road heat it's probably up to about 35 psi somewhere down the highway.

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
32 was the consensus of the Darksiders who ride that brand. Some a little more, some a little less. I don't change it when I two up. I figure with the added weight and road heat it's probably up to about 35 psi somewhere down the highway.
Glad you told me that since I run a run flat too. Don't recall where I saw saw this but someone was running 41 in their Dunlop Runflat. Went back to darkside forum and appears that the average for my tire is 32-34. Time to let out some air. Thanks Lee for the info.

·
Premium Member
23,794 Posts
Glad you told me that since I run a run flat too. Don't recall where I saw saw this but someone was running 41 in their Dunlop Runflat. Went back to darkside forum and appears that the average for my tire is 32-34. Time to let out some air. Thanks Lee for the info.
Tire pressure seem to have a lot to do with how the tire wears for these Darksiders. Some even change it up or down depending on the wear pattern they see. Of course a lower psi will smooth out the ride for you and the passenger. I have my suspension set to max 25 and with the 32 cold psi the tire absorbs the bumps quite nice.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Tire Pressure

I have 32K on my 2010 GL1800. I have put 3 different rear tires on it. All were motorcycle tires. The last place I had the tire put on, told me something I hope I can repeat. Something like this.
Put your tire pressure where you want it when cold (before any riding on any given day) and after riding long enough to get it as warm as it will get on that day, the pressure difference should be 10%. They also said that I should never go with recommended pressures. They are always low. He started me at 42 front and 45 rear. I know when I ran at recommended, just a couple of degrees of temp change in the morning, the TPMS would drive me nuts. As it is, it seems I have to put up with the TPMS light WAY too often, and I end up ignoring it until it is on for more than 10 mins or so. Some day I will really have a low tire, and ruin it.:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
25,936 Posts
My TPMS was extremely sensitive the first season. I was only riding about every 3rd day and very few long runs. My pressures were consistantly low each time I checked. The next season and last season, I seldom ever got a warnig light, and my pressures held very steady. I think it took a bit of time for the tire bead to seat to the rim properly. Reckon I can test this theory when I change my tires out this year.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
I have the OEM tires on my 09 with TPMS. I run 36 front and 42 rear. For some reason these tires tend to lose air over time and I have to add air a couple of times over the season. But at 36/42 they seem to run fine with one or two up.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I have 32K on my 2010 GL1800. I have put 3 different rear tires on it. All were motorcycle tires. The last place I had the tire put on, told me something I hope I can repeat. Something like this.
Put your tire pressure where you want it when cold (before any riding on any given day) and after riding long enough to get it as warm as it will get on that day, the pressure difference should be 10%. They also said that I should never go with recommended pressures. They are always low. He started me at 42 front and 45 rear. I know when I ran at recommended, just a couple of degrees of temp change in the morning, the TPMS would drive me nuts. As it is, it seems I have to put up with the TPMS light WAY too often, and I end up ignoring it until it is on for more than 10 mins or so. Some day I will really have a low tire, and ruin it.:rolleyes:
I am running Dunlop Elite 3 tires front and back but I have played with the air pressure and found that over 40psi in the front made the ride too harsh, so I have dropped it back to 38 front and 42 rear. That seems to be the best combo for me but then again I have a 1500.

·
Administrator
25,936 Posts
I forgot in my other post that I run 41 front and 42 rear in my tires. Almost 19,000 (just under 12,000 miles) km and still not quite due for replacement on the D250's the bike came with. I'm going to run 40 psi on the 'stone 709 when it goes on and see where that takes me. Certainly no complaints on the wear/mileage on the Dunlops from me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am running Dunlop Elite 3 tires front and back but I have played with the air pressure and found that over 40psi in the front made the ride too harsh, so I have dropped it back to 38 front and 42 rear
For me 37-41 works best for traction and comfort. Above 40 in the front makes the ride feel a bit harsh.

·
Administrator
25,936 Posts
I'm going to drop 2 psi on the front tire this time around and see what that does with feel, handling and wear. Been doing some training on tires lately and have learned a bit of stuff that quite frankly surprised me. Maybe you can teach an auld dog something.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts