Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a proper or improper way to turn the Wing off. Kick-stand, Key or Cut off switch:confused:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Is there a proper or improper way to turn the Wing off. Kick-stand, Key or Cut off switch:confused:
As an MSF instructor we teach engine cut off switch first, then key switch.
It only takes a flick of your thumb to use the cut-off switch, it eliminates the need to take your hands off of the handlebars while the engine is running.

·
Premium Member
23,794 Posts
Just don't be posting a " HELP! MY BIKE WON'T START! " thread. You know what the first suggestion will be.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just don't be posting a " HELP! MY BIKE WON'T START! " thread. You know what the first suggestion will be.
When I picked up my 1500 I rode it to the gas station and filled it up. After I was done I went to start it and got nothing...ign on, cut-off in run.....wtf am I doing wrong??? Sidestand was up....popped it in Nuetral and started right up.
The cut-off switch has got me more than once on other bikes though.

·
Premium Member
23,794 Posts
Just like any first date: A lot of fumbling around until your brain kicks in.The AH HA! moment. There it is!

·
Super Moderator
15,140 Posts
i was told when i was 9yrs old to use the key to turn a bike off and that the kill switch on the handlebar was for emergencies

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nobody has chosen the Kick Stand. I always thought using the kickstand would guarantee you don't lay it down due to not having the stand down.

·
Premium Member
23,794 Posts
Never thought of getting off the bike without the stand down. I don't see how that is possible. You can't get off a motorcycle with the stand up. It and you would fall over. Why would anybody want to do that ? That's nonsense. Here's a fellow who had his kickstand down and he fell over anyway :

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
When I picked up my 1500 I rode it to the gas station and filled it up. After I was done I went to start it and got nothing...ign on, cut-off in run.....wtf am I doing wrong??? Sidestand was up....popped it in Nuetral and started right up.
The cut-off switch has got me more than once on other bikes though.
If you were squeezing the clutch the wing should have started even it was in gear. If it didn't there is a problem with the clutch cut out switch under the front of the clutch lever. Could be a number of things, all fixable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nobody has chosen the Kick Stand. I always thought using the kickstand would guarantee you don't lay it down due to not having the stand down.
I most always turn it off with the kickstand and with it in 1st gear. Works as a good test for the kickstand cutoff and helps to keep it from rolling off the kickstand if the ground is a bit uneven. I know this is a bit lazy on my part, but the routine works for me. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
7,648 Posts
Well, if you had a trike you'd leave it in gear so it doesn't roll, turn the key off and leave a thumb tack on the seat.
You would want to put the side stand down first I know that's how I parked the Harley there was no safety interlock on the side stand, kill switch off and then key off.

·
Super Moderator
15,140 Posts
the wing runs fine with the kickstand up or down in neutral

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
Good point Ref. I've done that twice, but I use age as an excuse:D The bike has to be in gear for the kick stand thing to work

·
Registered
49 Posts
Good point Ref. I've done that twice, but I use age as an excuse:D The bike has to be in gear for the kick stand thing to work
Ron, just because your a kid doesn't mean you can use age as an excuse...:D

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Never thought of getting off the bike without the stand down. I don't see how that is possible. You can't get off a motorcycle with the stand up. It and you would fall over. Why would anybody want to do that ? That's nonsense. Here's a fellow who had his kickstand down and he fell over anyway :
First off MR. New Bling...I bet you there are several folks who have forgot the stand and dropped their bike...especially the hefty old Wing. Secondly the video is sad. Guy crashes and people continue riding without checking on him. Very Sad.
See.....Told you so CHOP:D:p

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
Ron, just because your a kid doesn't mean you can use age as an excuse...:D
Hey Rat: you should have been here today. We went to the Air Museum in Palm Springs, I was the only one really interested so it was a quick visit. I did pay the extra $5.00 to get into the B-17.

Ron

·
Registered
43 Posts
Shift to neutral, shut off fuel, shut off key switch, park the bike on side stand, dis-mount, put bike up on center stand.

Logic: Shifting to neutral keeps you from accidentally going any further.
Shutting off fuel first makes sure it gets done and allows just a smidgeon of fuel to be burned off the top of the float chambers
Killing with the key is Honda's recommended way to do it in the owners manual
Center stand makes the bike much more grandkid friendly when they decide to climb on it in the garage.

Here's the clip from the owners manual:
PARKING
l. After stopping the motorcycle, shift
the transmission into neutral, turn
the fucl valvc OFF and tum the
ignition switch OFF
2. Use the side o. center stand to suppo.t
the motorcycle whiie parked

·
Premium Member
23,794 Posts
First off...I bet you there are several folks who have forgot the stand and dropped their bike...especially the hefty old Wing. Secondly the video is sad. Guy crashes and people continue riding without checking on him. Very Sad.

See.....Told you so CHOP:D:p
Someone on this forum actually succeeded in dismounting his bike with the stand up? Why would someone want to do that ? Just to see if it could be done?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey Rat: you should have been here today. We went to the Air Museum in Palm Springs, I was the only one really interested so it was a quick visit. I did pay the extra $5.00 to get into the B-17.

Ron
I am pea green with envy! I have never been to that one....take some pictures :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you were squeezing the clutch the wing should have started even it was in gear. If it didn't there is a problem with the clutch cut out switch under the front of the clutch lever. Could be a number of things, all fixable.
I was thinking the same thing....

1 - 20 of 59 Posts