Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some nice warm weather here today got me out to work on my old girl. Seat and C.B are off for repairs and should be back later in the week/early next week. Picked up some valve covers from a 00 Valkyrie from Pinwall Cycles and got those on today, along with new engine guards. Finally after 5 years, I'm fixing my motel parking lot repairs when my bike fell over in the street. No more bolt sticking out of the valve cover making her look like Frankenstein. Since I pulled the front tupperware to get to the engine guards/valve covers, might as well replace the timing belts while she's apart.

What projects are you working on or would like to do?

·
Premium Member
17,042 Posts
I got new Timing belts. Last time they were change I had it done, thinking I might give it a try. I down loaded the how to procedure, just don't know if I trust myself on that one.

·
Administrator
25,901 Posts
Wheels and tires are in the near future for both the Wing and the RC; would like the Bike MP3 CB but not sure about the funds for now; still gotta do the electric lift on the Windbender :)o I'm really procrastinating on this aren't I?).

·
Super Moderator
11,950 Posts
I got new Timing belts. Last time they were change I had it done, thinking I might give it a try. I down loaded the how to procedure, just don't know if I trust myself on that one.
It's not difficult. It takes some time, but I'm sure you could do it. :)

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been putting a lot of stuff off for way too long. Almost 20 years on a set of timing belts! OMG! 5 years or more with a bolt plugging a hole in a valve cover! I should have done all of this during the winter! But I did get the HID headlights in, too ad I need to pull it apart again, seems that one bulb is in upside down. Valve covers on, engine guards on. Everything should go back together quickly once the belts are done. Oil filter is right there before reinstalling tupperware. I'll worry about a wash/wax job once it's all back together. Been Cleaning as parts come off. With so much being replaced doesn't leave much more to clean.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just looked over the procedure for changing timing belts, doesn't look too bad. But then again I turn wrenches on trucks for a living. It's go to be a lot easier than working on all these new emissions diesels. Just find it funny that Honda didn't provide a way to pin the spockets to the engine case, a couple of threaded holes in the spockets and a couple recessed dimples would be all it would take.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CB is back from J&M and back on the bike, my son picked up my timing belts today so I hope to get those on tomorrow. Getting close and so far no snow although 2 hours east took it on the chin.

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
blk93wng,

You are right, simple threaded pins that hold the cam pulleys dead-on is a good idea. I did the timing belts last weekend and the right cam (as you sit on the bike) did jump when I pulled that belt off, and had to have my friend hold it with a socket wrench (pulling against valve springs) while I threaded the new belt. Not a tough procedure, and my belts were 27 years old, so overdue even at only 63K miles. It's a nu2me '85 1200 Aspencade.

This evening I installed a new air filter, adjusted the air/fuel mix a little richer (1/4 turn) added more fresh gas with about 3 oz. of Seafoam. Turned it over and over and it would not start! After checking spark, the fuel pump, etc. I finally checked the petcock. Turns out "someone" had shut off the gas while changing the fuel filter Saturday night. It was ME. So much for knowing what I'm doing! A little humility is good for all of us! :eek:

Then, after a modest ride thru the neighborhood for 10 minutes, AHHH! I've had misfires on the right side at low speed and they finally stopped and acceleration is nice and smooth. Not sure how much is due to the new $40 OEM air filter vs the Seafoam finally clearing out the pilot valves. Don't care. Runs like dammit now, and with the synchronizing gauge set I'm waiting on from Trike Lady he'll be in fine shape by next Saturday.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got home from work this evening and got working on the timing belts. Already had the tupperware off and it only took about 45 min to change out the belts. Trying to get some of the stuff apart and out of the way took a little, but it came apart ok. Belts looked in good shape but loose as a goose. :eek: Found that the belts had stretched compared to the new ones and even between each other. Made the checks before starting the engine and all passed. Started her up and heard a little too much belt whine, shut it down and readjusted belt tension and restarted the engine, all is well. :D Reinstalled tupperware (guess I work around it changing oil) and I know how much ya'll like pics. So I'll try to throw one in here of her best side right know, the right side covers are still off for the oil change and the right saddlebag cover still needs a little paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow I did it! By the way the photo shows the stock seat as my Diamond seat has not come back yet. Boy does it need a wash job!

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
There you go! Nice looking Wing, bro'.

·
Premium Member
17,042 Posts
Got started early this morning,cleaned up the shop around the Wing and put it up on the bike jack.Getting it ready to change the timing belts. My ridding Buddy, and GWOF member WingRat was coming out to give me a hand. Had the wing pretty well stripped down by the time WingRat arrived. The worst part of the whole job was getting the belt cover off and back on. If the hoses had another half inch of wiggle room, the job would not have been to bad.
Finished the day cleaning the bike. Hopefully will get a ride in tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
11,950 Posts
That's where you went wrong, you just cut the hoses and duct tape them back together! :D

I knew you could handle the job. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,950 Posts
Got the brakes thoroughly bled on the 1500 and it stops much better now. I have some more cosmetic issues to contend with and then it needs Seafoam, fresh gas and to be ridden.

Nah; tried that on a brake line last year:eek: didn,t work so good:rolleyes::D

No, you need to use electrical tape on brake lines. :D

·
Premium Member
17,042 Posts
Got the brakes thoroughly bled on the 1500 and it stops much better now. I have some more cosmetic issues to contend with and then it needs Seafoam, fresh gas and to be ridden.

No, you need to use electrical tape on brake lines. :D
Aaaah see I didn't know that:rolleyes:
Those Timeing Belts I took off. Had 121,000 miles and were 12 years old and other then the numbers on the outside of the belts being faded, and a little dusty they looked as good as the new ones. No cracks or frayed cords, they has streched just a tad. But looked like they'd have gone another 100K.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I attacked the upper tupperware today. found out that I lost two screws holding the meter housing in the dash causing the banging noise up there. Pulled and checked the air filter while most of that stuff had to come off. Meanwhile my saddlebag light kit lens broke apart. Needed to replace them anyway, but was hoping to hold off until rally time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts