Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've a '95 Aspy 36K miles. One of my front shock seal is out. This winter I will have seals replaced on both shocks.
I have purchased the seal replacement kits and also Progessive springs.
Question: You fellow members that have Progessive spring replacements will you please give me yeas or cons as I am having a hard time making up my mind. Please also note if you think that two up might influence your comment.
Thanks, Carl

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Carl, I had Progressive spings installed three years ago, made a totaly different bike ouy of the old girl. The way the bike handles now is amazing, more like a sport bike the way it corners and takes the twisties. I will say the ride is firmer, doesn't "float" like before.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
They are a big change over stock as far as cornering goes, if you ride freeway or anywhere where there is a long straight road with a lot of tar snakes you will feel them, over all it is worth it.

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
+3 Carl They are worth every penny. The boys have advised you well.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Put them on my 93 ten years ago, worth every penny. Yes the front end is a little harsher but the improved handling is worth it.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Did any of you replace the springs yourself? If so, how did you keep the spring from popping out and how did you get the cap back on since the spring is pushing hard against you? I am considering changing to progressive springs and doing it myself. Just not sure about the "loaded spring".

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
It's been a while since I had mine done but if I recall right. My friend used what I call a speed wrench with a socket to fit the the big nut on the top of the fork tube to remove the spring. Not sure of the size socket I'm thinking about a number 20. The speed wrench looks like one of the old brace and bit handles. A big round knob on the top end with an off set crank handle with a socket on the end. He released the air in the tube using the schrader valve.
Then got up on the bike standing on the rider floor board. First he broke the nut loose with a 1/2 drive ratchet wrench ( note only loose.)
Then with the speed wrench against his chest he leaned down on the top end and started backing the big nut off, using his body weight to keep the spring compressed and from flying out of the tube. After the springs were out, he removed the tubes from the bike and rebuild them.
Then reversed the process to compress the spring and get the cap nut back on. Be careful not to cross thread that cap. I've seen venders do this at rallies also.
I think Sears still has those old speed wrenches.
Hope this helps.
From the Northwest corner
Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts