Honda Goldwing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lower Wing Products lowering bracket

Just bought and installed the 1.25 inch lowering bracket for my 2014 wing. My first impression was that this bracket was very well made. After removing the factory bracket that fact was even more apparent. Much stronger made than the original. Installation was a breeze and I can't even imagine why they would suggest removal of the rear wheel as it was not even remotely necessary. I also added the side stand shim and the drive off center stand.

First noticeable difference was the center stand. With little to no effort the bike rose onto the stand easily. I didn't even have to lift with the passenger handhold although it was still necessary to use for balance.

The second thing I noticed was that for the first time EVER I was able to back out of the garage without feeling like the bike was going to tip over. Even turning the front wheel to it's full extent and backing, it felt extremely stable. At this point I was already thrilled.

Same with stopping. When I stopped normally I was very uncomfortable as the bike wanted to try to wiggle and tip if my feet weren't placed perfectly. After the kit? Nothing. No wiggles and 100% confidence. My two worst concerns about the bike were totally negated.

On the highway it is still a wing, no better ride anywhere. I was a bit concerned about bumps and turns as I have heard about scraping and bottoming out. Now I am 270 lbs so no lightweight at all. I have the preload set to 16. I was taking hairpin turns as fast as I ever wish to take them and was not close to side scraping. I drove all over the county and even through the Foley Beach Express Fast lane with speed bumps. I never bottomed out on the road or on the bumps. So far everything is a 100% positive.

I have not ridden two up and I have not yet lowered the front forks so I cannot comment on that, but as of this time the Lower Wing Products bracket is the best money I have ever spent on a bike considering the results. I will add to this post if I ever ride two up, or if I lower the front forks.

I am 5' 8" with a 27 inch inseam. I can put both feet flat now IF I stand up and. LOL My heels are still about 1 inch from the ground while sitting, but the bike now does not try to tip so I am all good. It is impossible for me to describe the added stability of the bike at a stop. Just take my word for it. :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Pakit Rak

There have been several threads about hitch racks and after a lengthy ride of 47 days, varying weather and road conditions and temperatures ranging from 30f-100f, I highly recommend this product. Easy to install and when removed, the Velcro reflector covers the hole. While adding 17 more lbs. of storage, it was also easy to take off and put back on, and the cover fit tight enough to keep it stable, even at accelerated speeds. Having ridden several dirt roads on this ride, I was surprised at how easy it was to clean the bag afterwards, using a stiff brush, which did the trick. Looks like new.

http://www.pakitrak.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=6

·
Super Moderator
28,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hozan JIS set

We have mostly all heard of JIS screwdrivers by now. In preparation for the June/July Cody to Canada trip, there were a few things I wanted to do to the trike to prepare for the run. I decided to break down and buy a set. Found these on Amazon and at $31. + shipping seemed cheap enough to take a chance.

Here's a review:

Although the quality of the tools seem a bit chintzy (think Harbor Freight), they are rugged enough even to handle a few mallet taps to set them into a tough embedded screw.

Guys I will say that having now used a JIS screwdriver that these will be in the bank pouch onboard the trike from here on out. So if you would like to see them 1st hand, when you see me on the trike ask me to look at them. They were worth every penny and it's amazing the difference in the feel while trying to remove a Phillips style screw using a JIS.

http://www.amazon.com/Hozan-JIS-5-JIS-Screwdriver-Gen/dp/B003F63WI8/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1429433814&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=houzan+jis

Overall Rating
:BigHand:

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Super Moderator
28,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Change to a 1500

There has been many a conversation about the shifting and transmission of a 1500. Some folks switch to a synthetic fluid (ie Amsoil, or Mobil 1). Where others sort of get used to it and somehow we manage. I happen to have been in the latter category. That was until I was doing preparations for the new riding season.

Enter the Auxiliary Shifter Pivot. I know that at least one member here but may even be a few more have done this mod and I assume are happy.

1st off I checked my stock set up and just as indicated there is a good amount of play. If you think of it this way. The shifting shaft is exposed about 4 inches long and moves on an arc. It is sealed and held in place as I said almost 4" towards the housing. This fact alone is most of the issue.

The cost although upon initial assessment seems high $125. I can tell you that it is a quality piece of machined product. The part is very simple to install, you are provided with great instructions, and doesn't take long. Even checking several fitments and action. You do need to trim out the back of the heat shield to put it back on, so I guess that's the worst part of the install.

Upon finishing my final fluid change preparing for the season I decided to take the trike for a ride to check how things are. Almost immediately I realized that the 1st gear 1500 clunk is gone. I actually put the bike back in neutral to shift it again just to be sure.

Running a few miles I was amazed at the difference these little 2 blocks of aluminum make in the shifting of the bike. I am very happy to have this product and I am also fine with the purchase price.

In closing 1500 Guys believe me this is an item that you should have and once you do I'm sure you won't let it go. Many items for our machines are over $100. Some of the stuff is only cosmetic and it's that price or more. This is a very functional piece and worth every penny. Below is a link, there is a video on it.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_shifter_pivot/158744/200181

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Super Moderator
28,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
There have been a few of us over years that have lost side panels. Myself on my previous 1500 and know my pal Big Ken lost one on his 1800 too.

I purchased the Deluxe Kit because I thought heck two on each panel should be better.

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/panelkeeper_deluxe_kit/86/92739

If I was to do it again I would buy only the Second Base Kit which only gives you one per panel. Two does seem a bit overkill.

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/secondbase_kit/86/92811

Now having said that I can tell you this is a very nicely made product with good material preparation items enclosed as well as very extensive (almost too much info) instructions. If you follow the details you can not go wrong. The panel keepers adhere and you will not move them.

Missing panels from blowing off will be a thing of the past. The worse that can happen is the panel will bang around until you get stopped.

Another fine purchase made for this riding season. Again fellas I would just get the Second Base Kit if I needed to buy them again.

·
Premium Member
16,905 Posts
I'd like to check out your screw driver set and have a peel at the shifter thingy.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I too have installed the shifter pivot and like fossil says it is like night and day. Two of my riding buddies here have also installed this once they took mine for a spin. This and new progressive shocks and springs have made this bike with 100k miles feel "better" than new.

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Dynaplug mini air compressor(google it)
I just purchased this online from Amazon.com they had the best price. $79.00 for the Pro model. I bought it for the compact size and how well it works on YouTube videos.

Time will only tell how well it will work, but for size , I think it was a good buy. And will be with me going to Cody.

Update
14 June 15
use it today to air up the trailer tires, work like a peach and fast with a very accurate gauge built into it

·
Registered
369 Posts
brake light flasher

I recently purchased a brake light flasher unit. I heard about it from another forum and decided to purchase one. Here is the link to where i bought it. www.3rdbrakeflasher.com.
The flasher control unit is a micro processor that is smaller than a postage stamp and only costs $20 and best of all the company is right here in the USA. It took about a week or so to arrive, prompt service, that's a good thing.
Hooking it up was very easy. You cut the positive wire that goes to the brake light, Connect the units yellow wire to the wire going to the brake light, then connect the unit red wire to the wire that goes to the bikes harness and connect the units black wire to any good ground. I attached an image showing what I just discribed.
I put a thin piece of foam under the unit and taped the unit to the plastic fender under the seat.
The flasher has 36 different flashing modes. There are 2 white wires on the unit, to change the flasher sequence all you do is touch the 2 white wires together briefly while the brake is applied. I chose the mode that just flashes the brake light 6 times each time I apply the brake. The 37th mode turns the control unit off and your brake lights work normally.
I would highly recommend this unit to any one that wants a flashing brake light.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,220 Posts
Think I might try that brake light flasher, Bill.

Well, I can now review a few products.

1. Yuasa YTX24HL battery, from Cyclemax. The stock battery on my '95 GL1500 Aspy is a YTX24HL-BS I guess. That's what was in there. This is an upgrade to that with 350 cold cranking amps. The difference is noticeable; spins the starter like it's powered by a jet engine! Not bad at $128 including $20 shipping charge (really Cyclemax?) and was simply a wise move given my upcoming trip which includes many miles riding alone and in remote parts of the West.:serious:

2. Progressive 416 air shocks. Replaced the OEM 1 air shock+1 standard shock set-up with these. Easy to install and well made. The ride is SUBLIME!:smile2: So much so that I'm thinking of STIFFENING UP the suspension with more air in the tires and forks/rear air shocks. I'm afraid I'll fall asleep on the dam thing the way it's set up now!:surprise:

3. Austone Taxi rear tire. Now I know what others who have gone to the "Darkside" (going from a motorcycle tire to a car tire on the rear wheel) meant when they said they had a "planted" feeling back there. Just feels like a very good, wide motorcycle tire. With 3oz. of Dyna Beads in that tire it actually does feel like I'm running on a rail back there. Thanks for the recommendation, WARWGN/Dustin on this tire and the Progressives!:smile2:

4. Michelin Commander II front tire. Running it with 2oz. of Dyna Beads in it. I took my lead on this tire from Eric the Australian Hoon; always a dangerous move! And, my Mate didn't steer me wrong. The grip is outstanding, even when dealing with sand and gravel. It's supposed to rain here tomorrow and I'm heading out in it just to see how the tire handles that situation. My guess is that it will be perfect. Thanks Mate!:chopper:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have one of those Veskimo Cooling Vests too. Rode last year from NC to Louisiana. Before I got through Birmingham, it was 95. Before I got to Hattisburg, it was over 100. I used an insulated wind breaker with nicely tightened sleeves, and only stopped once to reload the ice chest. It worked great. I almost collapsed the year before trying to do that ride and then it was only 101 degrees on I-12 in Louisiana. This trip it was 107 according to the bike. This product gets a thumbs up form me for sure.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I will jump in here as a newbie....

The butler cup.

Cons: It Leaks Everywhere if you like to fill it up. Luckily it was just water.
The lid popped off while I was riding.

Pros: The handle fits over the arm of the holder adding a prevention factor to bouncing the cup out of the holder.

My styroofoam cup from Circle K fits perfect in the butler cup. I like to use it that way better.

I got it for free already installed on my bike.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Cool idea and I think Terry might be all over it. Just way too much stuff for me. My cup holder and phone holder already annoy me.

·
Registered
596 Posts
This is my new Bilt (CycleGear) jacket. Got all the protective armor plus warm (zip out quilted liner) and waterproof!
How do you like this jacket after wearing it for a while?
Cycle Gear has them on sale for $79.99 and I was thinking about getting a couple for the wife and I.

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Centramiatic wheels balancers
Juts got mine while im in Maggie Valley, and wont have time to fit them before i have an ocean flight, will test them on the trip in NOV to the M&G

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Tully's Coffee Dark Roast Decaf
I have essential tremor (hereditary) so I have become sensitive to caffeine after being a 3 pot a day drinker for all of my adult life. The Tully coffees decaf or original are exceptional. I hope all of you get to experience them.
Bob

21 - 40 of 61 Posts