Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little history first. On 1 May if this year i had an accident with my wing. forgot to pick up my kickstand and it ran me into a ditch, broke my pelvic in two places and did some damage to the bike. e.g. windshield, both mirrows and the top of the rear trunk. I repaired the obvious damages during my recovery. So, yesterday two of my buddies showed up from Virginia and wanted to go for a ride. i had not been on the bike in four months and decided to go with them. WELL, first thing i discovered was the left handlebar was forward about three inches, it also looked like the forks were tweeked a little. The next thing i discovered was that i had NO rear brakes, even tho the resivor was full. anyways, we finished the ride with no problems and this morning i loaded the bike on a trailer and hauled it to the bike shop and explained all the problems i was having. I guess it could have been worst.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Leeintn10 I feel your pain. Being in 5 motorcycle crashes myself, I know were you are coming from. Although I have never left a kickstand down. I have been hit from behind 4 times and broadsided once. Crushed my right foot in the broadside and crushed my left foot and lower leg in one of the rear ends when my wing motor guard came down on top of me as the bike and myself slid down the road. All 860 lbs of bike laid on my foot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
damn man - breakin the pelvic bone takes a major hit! mine gl1800 won't run with the stand down!?! what's up with yours? shop'll fix her up for ya though. good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ref kickstand

Reg, my wing is an 85 limited edition, it does not have the kickstand switch on it. It won't let you start it in gear, but you can override that by pulling in the clutch lever. Just to add a little more about the accident, i lay in the ditch for an hour before a young lady finally drove up the mountain and i could wave her down. She came over and shut the bike off for me (electric was still on the the bike was not running). then she went back down the mountain to the ranger station and told them about the accident. shortly after she left a couple came up the mountain and stayed with me until the ems personnel showed up and hauled me away. I did not remember anything about the accident, just woke up laying next to the bike.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a quick update on the bike. I got it back today, forks are back in position, handlebars and straight again and the rear brake is also working. I also had him put on two new tires while he was at it. Rode it back from the shop, about a 30 mile trip and it rode great, now i just have to scuff up the tires a little more and i will be ready to hit the road.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just a quick update on the bike. I got it back today, forks are back in position, handlebars and straight again and the rear brake is also working. I also had him put on two new tires while he was at it. Rode it back from the shop, about a 30 mile trip and it rode great, now i just have to scuff up the tires a little more and i will be ready to hit the road.

Helmet on head. check
Riding gloves. check
key in ignition. check
Kickstand up. check
clutch in. check
enjoy the wide

1 - 6 of 6 Posts