Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping you guys can help me? When starting my bike the clock constantly resets back to 1:00. Not only that but the odometer goes back to zero and i lose the settings for the suspension? I have no idea what the problem is and i'm wondering if this is a problem with Goldwings or something rare? Any ideas on what the problem could be will be welcomed...

·
Registered
65 Posts
You left out some details, year and model would be nice! I am by NO means a GW expert, but from years of experience with cars and hot rods, let me say that it sounds like a voltage issue. It could be that battery voltage drops low enough cranking to lose memory, but I would guess it is more likely that where ever the power is tapped for these items is the issue. Meaning that there is a voltage drop due to other draws from the same line, or similar issue. Is the bike all original??? or have there been "repairs" done in the past. Try using jumper cables from a running car and see if the same thing happens. A running car should assure that battery voltage is not an issue. If it still gives you trouble, break out the wiring diagrams and make sure things are wired the way they should be. Check connections, these are places for resistance, and resistance will cause voltage drop.
hope this helps.
tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom. The bike is an 03. There have been things added to the bike such as lights and other things. The battery is only a year old. Last year it only happened every so often but i've riden it a few times so far this season and now it's doing it everytime i crank up..

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would be looking for where the power is tapped for the lights, and other add ons. I just bought an 85 wing, and have been going over some of the previous "repairs." A previous owner had put on louder horns, REAL loud horns, (I DO like that!). they ran a wire from the battery to supply +12v. I decided I wanted something a little cleaner than this "extra" wire run from the battery. So I tapped into the parking lights. When I hit the horn, the lights dimmed and the horn was NOT loud at all. I restored the wire to the battery, just routing it in a more professional manner, (was just shoved up under the edge of the faux tank!). I also remember from the SOHC forum, they suggested running a wire directly from the battery to a relay for the head light. This would supply +12v directly from the battery to avoid voltage drop from the ignition switch.
Keep us posted. It will wind up being something easy, what may not be easy is finding it!
Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

Thanks Tom, that should be a good place to start. I'll keep ya posted. This is my first Wing. There is so much to take off to look for the wiring. :confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bad ground or relay. But, there is a good chance it is your ignition switch. The clock, etc. needs very little voltage to retain memory. If you were going down to zero (which is about what it would take to clear the memory) your bike wouldn't turn over. IMHO, all accessories should be wired to the battery using a relay that is switched on with the ignition.

Oh, I should add: On VTX's it is very common for this to happen when a connector under the tank is loose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bad ground or relay. QUOTE]

Thanks for the input Bell. If it was a bad ground then wouldn't the lights etc not work at all? A buddy i work with that works on bikes suggested that it could be the starter motor? He says he's seen this happen before. This kinda makes sense because at times when trying to crank up it'll hesitate almost like either the starter is bad or like the battery is weak. I'll let off the ignition swith and hit it again and she'll crank right up but reseting the clock, odometer and ride height settings.
At this point i'm taking all suggestions. Thanks for the info guys..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Someone else with wing specific ifo will hopefully chime in. But, if that is happening then it points even more to a bad ground or relay. IMHO here is what I would check:
Battery terminals, clean and inspect
or
Battery, could have an intermittent broken cell
or
Bad ground to frame of bike
or
Bad + connection to starter or somewhere in between.
or
Bad connector going to the gauges.
or
starter solenoid

In that order.

I would bet on the bad ground either at or very near the battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Starter solinoids

You're the 4th person to mention this Bells. I was talking with my mechanic and that's what he thought it might be? He mentioned that he'd spoken with 2 other mechanic friends of his and he said that this was the first thing they mentioned as well. I think we might be on to something here. As soon as the time permits we're gonna undress her and check all connections as well as look into changing the starter solinoids.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.