Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thanks for looking. I have an '82 gl1100. It has a knocking sound only when starting out (if not enough gas is given) or in too high of a gear for the speed. Higher RPMs, cruising and idle is fine. I have read info on the net and I think it is a fuel or carb sync issue. Is that a good assumption?:confused:

·
Super Moderator
15,370 Posts
you are just lugging the motor, older wings like to be reved. my 1200 wing likes 2200rpm and up

·
Registered
479 Posts
... HOWDY ... IF IT IS MORE OF A PING THAN A KNOCK IT'S THE GAS YOU'RE USING ... DR.DET.BUZZARD IS CORRECT ... MY 85 1200 DOESN'T LIKE LOW RPM's ... AND I DOUBT IF A CARB. CAN MAKE A KNOCKING NOISE ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Super Moderator
15,370 Posts
most people don't realize that their carbs need a sync, performane suffers but i've never heard a knock from out of sync carbs except maybe after a rebuild

·
Super Moderator
15,370 Posts
... William ... Sorry About Reversing Your Title ... It's An Old Timers Thing ... Det.dr.buzzard ... Thats Better ... Happy Trails ...
i promise you that i didn't take iot the wrong way ronzilla. maybe he got a tank of bad gas, i got a tank of bad gas when i first got my 1200, it was sooo bad i thought i needed a tuneup.

·
Super Moderator
15,370 Posts
but if you have bad gas in the tank like i did it won't idle right either. as more fresh gas got mix and run through the engine i got my 900 - 1000 rpm idle back all the knocking and all the hesitation went away and if you can find some seafoam put half a can with a tank of gas, it will help clear things up

·
Super Moderator
15,370 Posts
Does the clutch need tightening or is it about to fail? it also makes this noise in neutral at low RPM.

Just tested the stator. getting 53, 50 and 2.6 ac. So..I have a bad stator. I know this effects the charging system. Does it also effect the spark in the plugs?
yes it will as the spark will be weak and gets worse with higher rpm's

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.