Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2002 goldwing 1800. my problem is i am getting noise out of both of my right speakers, it sounds like a cracked speaker. it happens with the radio as well as my mp3 player. it also comes through my right speaker in my helmet. what do you think is the problem, and where can i get it fixed.

Thanks
David

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Welcome to the site JSW850. I'd contact Sierra Electronics and see what they say. Could be a couple possibilities but they should know.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Is this problem intermitant? If so I would suspect a cold solder joint.
It could be a problem with a shorted speaker before shipping the radio off for an expensive repair switch speakers and see if the problem is still present. Or check the resistance across the speaker teminals with the radio wires disconnected.
Many times in electronics mounted on a motorcycle the vibrations take their toll on solder connections on the circuit board along with solder bath type connections the joint will fail normally intermitant at first then the resistance changes on that circuit and normally a resistor can change in value as well causing noise in the circuit or a bad capacitor any number of thigs could have gone wrong. So really the average person can only make sure the problem is not caused by outside problems blown speakers rf interfearance, check your battery connections and all grounds on the bike. Check recent work pinched wires etc . Keep it simple at first check anything basic even if it is on an unrelated circuit. Check the battery and charging system. Don't get caught up on it is only happening on one side.
Turn off your cell phone and other wireless devises around the bike also test to see if the bike has to be running to make this noise. Well that should be more than enough to get you started. If you find out that it is the radio and you want to attempt.a repair your self first.
If you have some basic tools DVOM a Fine point temp controlled soldering iron and a few other tools you might get lucky and fix it yourself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts