Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone might be able to give me an idea what's happening with my '08 GL1800 before I take it to the dealer. I hate to go in cold and tell them, "it aint right, please fix it." One never knows what will happen.

Here's the scenario. The last couple of times I've been out I've noticed a repeating slight bump or thump on the right side. It seems to be coming from underneath the bike like perhaps the exhaust. I don't so much hear it as feel it through my right foot. It is more pronounced with my feet on the highway pegs, but I also feel through the normal pegs.

Now here's the kicker. It only happens in 5th gear. Speed and accel/decel seems to be irrelevant. It's not regular, it happens randomly every few seconds to a minute. Overall performance seems fine, although gas mileage may be down. I haven't had a chance to check yet.

It almost seems like one cylinder misfiring or backfiring although there is no "bang" from the pipes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Randy

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Randy, looks like you have stumped the band... I have no idea what it could be except for something being loose causing an intermitant sound or vibration. Or another thought might be it's coming from the bikes suspension when you hit a tar strip or bump in the road. I sometimes have have a vibration or bump in my highway pegs but I just attributed it to the road. Whatever it is it does not seem to affect the bike or performance.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Randy, I've read your question a few times over trying to get through my head what 'might' be happening. If it was suspension related, it would happen in all gears (I think) same as a misfire in the engine or such. Pay attention to rpm and road surface when it happens and maybe that will shed some light. Since 1800's don't have a swingarm, it shouldn't be something trapped underneath in the suspension (my wife's car had a stone lodged in the a-arm of her car that did that once) so somehow I doubt that's what it is. I don't want to scare you, but I wonder if you have a faulty 5th gear in the tranny? That also doesn't ring true to me since you feel the thunk under your right foot, and the trans is on the left, but shock can and does travel into different parts of a machine. At the very least, I'd call your dealershhip service manager or their resident Wing guru and tell him what you told us, he may have an idea. If he doesn't your bike is still under warranty so anything untoward should be covered. Wish I could be more help.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the thoughts. I agree, it's a bit odd. This is my first GoldWing and only my second bike, so I may just be being a bit paranoid. Overall it runs great.

When I first noticed it I thought it might be weak springs on the side or center stand causing one or the other to bounce a bit on rough surfaces, but it happens equally on dead smooth roads, so no joy there. It could still be something loose though. I'll get her up on the jack and take a look.

For all the world it feels like a small burp coming through the exhaust, but who knows. My son-in-law works at the local dealer, he sold me the bike, so I'll let him take it for a ride and see what he thinks. He'll probably tell me it's nothing.

Regards,

Randy

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Even better Randy. Wings are so unearthly quiet that any noise seems amplified when you hear it, same for thunks and bangs, which is a good thing. Makes it easy to tell if there is indeed something wrong. Let the young lad ride it and see what he thinks, just make sure he brings it back LOL he's got your daughter, he doesn't need your Wing:D

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
GL-1800 alternators are another interesting sound generator. No matter what year the client's trikes were, each ones alternator sounded a bit different. Some tended to 'Sing' louder than others, others varied their pitch with the rpms and weren't as 'Vocal'.
Didn't mean to hijack the post with 'Singing Alternators', but some sounds are just part of the Goldwing. :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts