Honda Goldwing Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes there was a fix at this point. Techdude2000 from GL1800 forums (who is know as the GL1800 DR) said that the wiring and C25 connector could be the blame. He said it’s common that the C25 connector over time causes problems. Because the wing was constantly stalling and had 1 over heating issues because the fans didn’t kick on, made him believe it was an electrical problem. After examining, cleaning, disconnecting/reconnecting the C25 connector, checking for loose wires and the entire harness, I must have triggered something. I let it idle for 1 hr and took 2 20 mile trips with it and had zero problems and the fans kicked on when they needed too. I recently took a trip that was over 7 hours, over 350 miles with my fiancé, in 85 degree weather, with stop and go traffic, and the wing had no problems. So at this point it is fixed. It surely would have shown it’s ugly face after all that. Techdude said if it comes back that the problem is obvious, it’s the sensor loop down the engine or the C25 connector will need to be “re-done”. So to answer your question she is up and running, whether I fixed it permanently or by “accident”. :)
Hey DB & Techdude I'm just wondering if this is the issue i'm having with my 2004 1800 Goldwing when I take the bike for ride and get it warmed up the temperature gauge rises almost to the H when I stop or idling and then when I take off to ride the gauge would come back down to normal and stay normal till I stop again and this all started happening after I had gotten stuck in stop and go traffic for over a hour that's when this 1st started happening and now it does it every time I ride the bike. The fans do come on but it still stays in the high range when idling till I take off from the stop any suggestions appreciated

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey DB & Techdude I'm just wondering if this is the issue i'm having with my 2004 1800 Goldwing when I take the bike for ride and get it warmed up the temperature gauge rises almost to the H when I stop or idling and then when I take off to ride the gauge would come back down to normal and stay normal till I stop again and this all started happening after I had gotten stuck in stop and go traffic for over a hour that's when this 1st started happening and now it does it every time I ride the bike. The fans do come on but it still stays in the high range when idling till I take off from the stop any suggestions appreciated
This sounds like a coolant issue. When the fans come on, the temp should go down, since it’s not there’s a flow issue, possibly a stuck thermostat. Are the fans blowing out the front from both sides?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Techdude thanks for responding sorry I didn't get back right away, fans do turn on I guess I could check the thermostat are those known for going bad as this all happened last year I just took bike out today and fans came on and bike didn't get up to total hot so I'm going to have to ride it a bit more and pay attention what its doing

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thermostats don’t go bad very often, but with your symptoms, if the coolant level is correct and the recovery tank has the correct level in it, then that only leaves a blockage or the thermostat. When was the coolant changed last and has it ever had the system and cap pressure tested?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The coolant was changed 2 years ago levels are all correct but never had the system or cap pressure tested. I guess I could change out coolant again to see if this helps

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ok, so if you let it just sit and idle the temp keeps going up? I would flush and change the coolant, it’s due anyway at 24 months and see what it does. Make sure the cross connect between the left and right sides is clear along with the drain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok, so if you let it just sit and idle the temp keeps going up? I would flush and change the coolant, it’s due anyway at 24 months and see what it does. Make sure the cross connect between the left and right sides is clear along with the drain.
Hey Tech dude sorry I haven't responded I've been really busy with work and not even time to look at the bike when I finally get a chance I'll try changing the coolant out and see if this fixes my issue. Thanks

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hey Dog - Just to eliminate a possible issue - Have you tried resetting your ECM computer ? Start your bike giving it no throttle, let it run until the fans come on then trun off the engine. When you are riding, if there is no "FI Light" to help you with some self diagnostics and the problem persists, the next option may well be to have the dealer run a diagnostic sweep of your bike. On the newer models just about everything (including fan control logic) goes into and out of the computer. There have been a few 1800 GW's with a similar reported intermitment stalling problem that turned out to be the ECM.

Hopefully it turns out to be something simple.

Good Luck - Michael

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Tech dude sorry I haven't responded I've been really busy with work and not even time to look at the bike when I finally get a chance I'll try changing the coolant out and see if this fixes my issue. Thanks
Hey Tech dude just changed out the coolant and flushed the system out twice with distilled water and white vinegar the coolant was a little darker but drained out easily also took the coolant reservoir off and drained that all out and then refilled up coolant and took bike for a ride and still temp gauge going up to the top of the hot level not sure what to try next. did notice fans didn't come on until 1 notch away from the top of the hot gauge.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey Tech dude just changed out the coolant and flushed the system out twice with distilled water and white vinegar the coolant was a little darker but drained out easily also took the coolant reservoir off and drained that all out and then refilled up coolant and took bike for a ride and still temp gauge going up to the top of the hot level not sure what to try next. did notice fans didn't come on until 1 notch away from the top of the hot gauge.
That’s not good. I think you have a flow issue. It’s either plugged up radiators or it’s a faulty thermostat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That’s not good. I think you have a flow issue. It’s either plugged up radiators or it’s a faulty thermostat.
I don't think its a plugged up issue as it took just as much antifreeze as I got out so now I'm thinking thermostat as fans don't come on till already over heating

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't think its a plugged up issue as it took just as much antifreeze as I got out so now I'm thinking thermostat as fans don't come on till already over heating
Yea, that could be a different issue as well. The temp gauge is driven by a sensor in the top of the left head and the signal ground for it is one of those potential issues that will make the fans turn on late. It going into the red is bad no matter what the fans are doing. At speed the fans don’t have any affect on the system and it shouldn’t go into the red at all or even much past half way if you are cruising on the highway. My gut tells me it’s the thermostat, but it’s so much fun to change I feel the pain for you to change it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hey Dog - There are a couple of recalls pertaining to 2001 - 2017 GW's stalling, over heating and having fan issues. If your coolant levels have been verified, fresh coolant, radiator cap is good, etc.... and the suggestion to reset the ECM didn't improve anything - since the computer is responsible to ground the fan relay below 15 - 20 mph and sees a rise in engine temp, perhaps a faulty or late ECM trigger point is part of the over heating problem (?).

As a low budget fix - have you thought about wiring in an ON/OFF toggle switch to allow a manual over ride control of the fan relay. This would provide you the ability to turn the fans on early as the temp gauge begins to climb.

I have a riding buddy who has a 2007 GW with the same overheating at low speed and stalling symptoms as your bike. With no codes and after the dealer failed to resolve his problems over multiple visits - we finally installed a manual fan over-ride switch that has at least helped with the over heating issue. The commical part is that the district rep told him Honda was looking into each owner's complaint and his only advice was to "Bring it into the dealer to be checked out" - again.

We've replaced the temp sending unit, eliminated C25, inspected most every other connector in the bike's harness and so far have yet to find any other electrical wiring issue.

Good Luck - Michael

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey Dog - There are a couple of recalls pertaining to 2001 - 2017 GW's stalling, over heating and having fan issues. If your coolant levels have been verified, fresh coolant, radiator cap is good, etc.... and the suggestion to reset the ECM didn't improve anything - since the computer is responsible to ground the fan relay below 15 - 20 mph and sees a rise in engine temp, perhaps a faulty or late ECM trigger point is part of the over heating problem (?).

As a low budget fix - have you thought about wiring in an ON/OFF toggle switch to allow a manual over ride control of the fan relay. This would provide you the ability to turn the fans on early as the temp gauge begins to climb.

I have a riding buddy who has a 2007 GW with the same overheating at low speed and stalling symptoms as your bike. With no codes and after the dealer failed to resolve his problems over multiple visits - we finally installed a manual fan over-ride switch that has at least helped with the over heating issue. The commical part is that the district rep told him Honda was looking into each owner's complaint and his only advice was to "Bring it into the dealer to be checked out" - again.

We've replaced the temp sending unit, eliminated C25, inspected most every other connector in the bike's harness and so far have yet to find any other electrical wiring issue.

Good Luck - Michael
This sounds like a bad crimp in the ECM’s sensor ground loop. It’s buried under the air box and can cause all sorts of issues with the engine running right. It’s a metal barrel crimp that is part of the signal ground for the ECM and the main engine sensors on their green/red wires.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts