Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After installing the hitch, I took bike out for a ride and experienced bottoming over bumps..I adjusted the load to 25 and felt bike rise so ruled that out as a failure..Checked for leaks around front and rear shocks..none

Looked for evidence of rubbing/interference between hitch and bike and couldn't see any visible obstructions..

Everything else on bike functions normally..

Has anyone else installed this particular hitch? If so, any problems afterwards??

BTW, it's a 2008 w/ABS..

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

Took it into Honda dealer this am.. they're stumped also..

so have to drop it off Tuesday while they consult with Honda as to what the problem is..:confused:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I'm suprised the Dealer wants to "consult" w/Honda and will be amazed if any help comes of this!
Your signature shows you have a 2008 GW. Assuming this is the bike you have the problem with and I'm sorry to be the bearer of negative news, about all that will happen now is you will be told, maybe, something like:
Since you have installed a hitch any warranty claim for drive train/suspension defscts will not be honored. Or they may not say a word until you do have aproblem!
This is not a sure thing as some seem to get by with no problems at all, while others have the warranty voided because they have a hitch mounted!

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm suprised the Dealer wants to "consult" w/Honda and will be amazed if any help comes of this!
Your signature shows you have a 2008 GW. Assuming this is the bike you have the problem with and I'm sorry to be the bearer of negative news, about all that will happen now is you will be told, maybe, something like:
Since you have installed a hitch any warranty claim for drive train/suspension defscts will not be honored. Or they may not say a word until you do have aproblem!
This is not a sure thing as some seem to get by with no problems at all, while others have the warranty voided because they have a hitch mounted!
Boy, I sure as hell hope not..But I guess now it's a waiting game to see what develops as I have already taken it in this morning..
A lot guys have trailer hitches on their GW's and haven't read anything about their running into warranty problems with Honda to date unless I missed something..Got my fingers crossed for now and hoping for the best..Thought just never occurred to me re: warranty issues..
Thanks for thoughts, RC

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Please let us know what the dealer says. Very interested in the results! There are many discussions on the GL1800Riders web sight about warranty issues on Wings w/trailer hitches and also heel/toe shifters installed.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please let us know what the dealer says. Very interested in the results! There are many discussions on the GL1800Riders web sight about warranty issues on Wings w/trailer hitches and also heel/toe shifters installed.
OK..will do when I get the verdict/results..

·
Registered
13 Posts
After installing the hitch, I took bike out for a ride and experienced bottoming over bumps..I adjusted the load to 25 and felt bike rise so ruled that out as a failure..Checked for leaks around front and rear shocks..none

Looked for evidence of rubbing/interference between hitch and bike and couldn't see any visible obstructions..

Everything else on bike functions normally..

Has anyone else installed this particular hitch? If so, any problems afterwards??

BTW, it's a 2008 w/ABS..
Some hitch installations require you to remove the center stand spring. If you did remove it, and if you put it on backwards (can't tell easily just by sight because it looks fine backwards), the center stand will sit a few inches lower and bottom out on bumps. So, if you removed it, check that possibility out.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some hitch installations require you to remove the center stand spring. If you did remove it, and if you put it on backwards (can't tell easily just by sight because it looks fine backwards), the center stand will sit a few inches lower and bottom out on bumps. So, if you removed it, check that possibility out.
That wasn't the case..It was a straightforward installation. I took my time (3 days worth ) to do it..

BTW all, just got a call from the dealer (Carter Powersports, Las Vegas) saying that Honda has authorized a rear shock replacement.. Hope that's the cure..

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

Just thought I'd post an update on my situation..

Been waiting for one month now for a replacement rear shock that was supposedly shipped from Japan..Guess that's because GW production is there now..

GW's been with the dealer for the whole time for the warranty repair..Verry frustrating..Good riding wx right now in Vegas too..

Supposed to get the part in this Friday and maybe out to me by the end of the day..:rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts