Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the GL1800 has a superb running engine as it is and there may not be much can be done to it to improve its performance without getting radical. I would like to see someone that has enough extra $$$$ do a blueprint and balance job with a ported and polished job. I believe you would notice a difference.

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
Kikker was your 77 black with blue and gold pin striping thats what I had I loved that bike it just never lost it's show room look.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kikker was your 77 black with blue and gold pin striping thats what I had I loved that bike it just never lost it's show room look.
Yeap it sure was. I kept the '77 until 2005. That's my 1994 GL1500SE in the background with a half cover on it. The '77 only had 33,000 miles on it when I sold it. I got tired of the wind and eating bugs.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
without some cams to take advantage of the ported heads you're not going to see much of an improvement in ho or tq. the balance job will make a smooth wing motor even smoother

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Without some cams to take advantage of the ported heads you're not going to see much of an improvement in ho or tq. the balance job will make a smooth wing motor even smoother
Oh I would have to disagree! Porting and polishing the right stock engine would noticeable. Of course it make a difference on which engine you’re doing it to. This would I think definitely apply to a Goldwing engine when the fuel flow is improved. I would bet the porting on a GL1800 engine is pretty close already.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
i think honda does a good job of porting right from the factory ( on most all of their bikes ) that why i don't think you would see much of an imporvement in hp or tq. now if your talking about say an old 350 chevy motor then i agree you'll see an improvement

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think honda does a good job of porting right from the factory ( on most all of their bikes ) that why i don't think you would see much of an imporvement in hp or tq. now if your talking about say an old 350 chevy motor then i agree you'll see an improvement
For all I know the intakes could be plastic. It is on my 2010 Ford F150.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Port and polish all you want gentlemen.....:rolleyes:

that is one fine looking machine....seriously a beauty

·
Registered
21 Posts
InI'm in the progress of building a high performance gl1500. I'm going to call it the blue haired husa killer lol. Sorry the stereo typical goldwing rider. I don't own a gold wing but I'm putting a gl1500 into my Japanese mini truck. I building a super light weight street and strip truck. I will be porting and polishing my heads but will not be able to give hp gains on just p&p work. I could see a 5-10 if you did a good job. I am also doing cams, bigger valves, valve springs, rockers. I'm going to be running a turbo so I need to to maximize my boost. Usually its not worth all the labor unless your already rebuilding your head.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
InI'm in the progress of building a high performance gl1500. I'm going to call it the blue haired husa killer lol. Sorry the stereo typical goldwing rider. I don't own a gold wing but I'm putting a gl1500 into my Japanese mini truck. I building a super light weight street and strip truck. I will be porting and polishing my heads but will not be able to give hp gains on just p&p work. I could see a 5-10 if you did a good job. I am also doing cams, bigger valves, valve springs, rockers. I'm going to be running a turbo so I need to to maximize my boost. Usually its not worth all the labor unless your already rebuilding your head.
You think the lower end will handle it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
As far as the rods or the crank? I am replacing the rods. If my machinist thinks the hp I'm planing on will be ok for the crank. we are going to leave it alone. I'm may stroke the crank if its the weak link ill beef it up and stroke it. If the crank will be ok ill just sleeve and big bore it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Stock bore high compression pistons :D

On another note, BAZZAZ is in the middle of a Goldwing R&D project for their Fuel controller system. Can't wait for them to finish it up. I have their units on both my VFR1200 and ST1300 - made a world of difference in terms of smoothness throughout the powerband. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.