Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gas?

6K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  Cantankerous 
#1 · (Edited)
I run 87 octane in my Wing and haven't had any problems, but a comment I noticed on another thread gave me pause regarding regular gas. I'm curious about what other owners run in their bikes.

#7 ·
I use regular because the book says that is what to use. I know on a car that the timing is what designates the octane and it will only burn what it is timed for. All of the octane above that is just wasted. In the old days we used to run a tank of permium through our cars to "clean" them up but with all of the additives added to the regular gas today ther is no need for that any more. So, I see no advantage to using a higher octane that the engine is tuned for.

#8 ·
my '75 750 runs horrable on anything but premium gas and the '79 750k runs best with premium. been running mid grade in the 750f and cb450

#9 ·
what gas to use

I believe that the older higher compression bikes need the higher octane. I use premiun in my 82-1100 just becasue thats what the Mech i bought it from used.
I can't hear worth a _ anymore so if i switch to regular No pings No Problems . Right? ;-}...
LB

#10 ·
My Wing seems perfectly happy with 87 octane so thats what I run.

#19 · (Edited)
It all tastes the same to me!

:)

I have tried all grades and there is no noticeable difference, so I run the 87.

#21 ·
I run 87 in Oklahoma. The question I have is Ethanol or non-ethanol. I cant tell any differerence with those. (E-10)

While riding in Colorado, I did use 86. It ran fine, I couldnt tell any difference except I seemed to get a little better mileage..

#22 ·
I run regular most of the time in my 1800 (08) and run premium on some occasions.
I do the same in my 1990 (1500) se and do get better performace & mileage but not enough to justify the additional cost.
I try to use name brands because the additives in most name brands provide better engine performance and prevents E-10 problems to some degree.
I recommend doing some research at the fuel web sites to reach an educated conclusion for gasoline sold in your particular area. Fuels are different in many areas of the country.
Also from season to season. Techron is a very good additive.

#23 ·
I use mostly regular and throw in some Seafoam fuel treatment every other month because of the high ethanol content, some brands have increased ethanol levels to 15 percent or more! If any of you live in a rural area near a Southern States that sells fuels, ours has certified REAL gasoline with no ethanol, it just costs a little more, but it is a noticeable difference especially when cold starting. bigjim455---84 Aspencade; 1990 Yamaha Vmax; 1978 Suzuki GS 1000; 1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000.

#27 ·
If I said it here, I would probably be booted from the forum!

:mad::mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.