Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I run 87 octane in my Wing and haven't had any problems, but a comment I noticed on another thread gave me pause regarding regular gas. I'm curious about what other owners run in their bikes.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
2007 Wing. Book says 87 octane so thats what I run. Purrs like a kitten. Tried 92 octane for a few tanks and didn't notice any difference from the 87. :)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
At $4.19 a gallon for super I settle for $3.69 for reg gas!

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
mid grade. do i notice a difference between mid grade and regular? yes

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I use regular because the book says that is what to use. I know on a car that the timing is what designates the octane and it will only burn what it is timed for. All of the octane above that is just wasted. In the old days we used to run a tank of permium through our cars to "clean" them up but with all of the additives added to the regular gas today ther is no need for that any more. So, I see no advantage to using a higher octane that the engine is tuned for.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
my '75 750 runs horrable on anything but premium gas and the '79 750k runs best with premium. been running mid grade in the 750f and cb450

·
Registered
24 Posts
what gas to use

I believe that the older higher compression bikes need the higher octane. I use premiun in my 82-1100 just becasue thats what the Mech i bought it from used.
I can't hear worth a _ anymore so if i switch to regular No pings No Problems . Right? ;-}...
LB

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
My Wing seems perfectly happy with 87 octane so thats what I run.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I run 87 all the time now, started with 92 since that's all I ever ran in my bikes before. the only advantage to the premium fuel is the preium doesn't go flat near as fast; regular can go sideways in as little as 3 weeks. I fill the tank with premium and ad stabilzer when I put her to bed for the winter, that's the only time.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The higher the octane- the slower it burns. Use premium in high com engines to reduce pinging. Wings are lower comp. and 87 octain is best. Why waste money on gas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I run 87 all the time now, started with 92 since that's all I ever ran in my bikes before. the only advantage to the premium fuel is the preium doesn't go flat near as fast; regular can go sideways in as little as 3 weeks. I fill the tank with premium and ad stabilzer when I put her to bed for the winter, that's the only time.
This works for me too.

Occasionally run some Seafoam to clean things up, otherwise regular works just fine.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I ran premium when I bought my Wing, then weined it off and went with 87. I see no difference in performance or mileage, but now have more money for gas... which equals longer rides. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
The need for premium fuel went away the same day the Harley went away, the Wing loves its 87 regular, now E10, soon to be E15.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I run 110 Sunoco race fuel and its worth about another 50 hp at least. At over $8 a gallon, it even makes my wobble disappear;) I run 89, no logical reason.

·
Super Moderator
11,800 Posts
It all tastes the same to me!

:)

I have tried all grades and there is no noticeable difference, so I run the 87.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts