Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surprised that to see that a forum search of "preload" only found one post which didn't generate much response. I expected to see some significant discussions regarding preferred preload settings. When I asked the dealer service manager about preload he said he liked to ride stiff and set it at 12. I pushed it up to 17 yesterday while riding two-up but didn't notice a difference. What should I feel? I would love to see a discussion regarding how the preload affects a GL1800, what settings you use for what purposes and at what weights.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I'm with you on the pre-load. I'm not sure if I notice any difference. When by myself, I ride at 5 just to lower the bike but two up I set it at 18. Hope you get some answers.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I ride at 6 around town and pump it up to about 20 in the twisties, I only ride 1 up.

·
Super Moderator
9,857 Posts
I'm a 5 and 20 guy. 5 when alone and 20 with a co-rider. Usually have more stuff in trunks with 2 up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also use 6 for 1 up and 20 for 2 up. I max it out when I want to use the center stand, since it is easier to lift.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Preload

I'm a 5'11" 268lb male, and I ride 14 1 up and 23 2 up. I have 14000 miles with no scalloping on either tire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts