Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a wire you can clip on the GL 1800 to allow you to adjust the rear shock without putting the bike in neutral. Does anybody know how to locate that wire? I would hate to clip the wrong wire.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
I don't know where the wire is, but I was wondering why you want to clip it. Doesn't seem like a big thing to have the bike in neutral to adjust the suspension. Oh, also, welcome to the forum from Pa. Enjoy the forum and Ride safe..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
To respond to Two Wheel Wing, I ride often and year round. The preload is the thing I forget about when taking my wife. I then try to remember to adjust it at the next light or stop sign only to forget again. Also at times while riding in the mountains it is nice to change a point or two without pulling over and coming to a complete stop. Doing it on the run is so much simpler.
To respond to Police. I am guessing you bought your 03 used and the wire has been clipped. Honda sets their bikes up so that they have to be in neutral and stopped in order to change the preload setting.

·
Registered
263 Posts
We all know why Honda sets them up this way,right? How about some sort of reminder on or near the bike so it's checked before a ride with or without the passenger?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess we don't agree on the "why Honda does it" part. I feel it is strictly to keep Honda from getting sued. I don't figure I will crash from pusing a button any more than using my turn signal.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes,jbgoldwing,we are in total agreement as to why they do it that way. There's times i wish i could reset on my 1500 too. I'm sure you are capable,as i ,of doing this while moving.However,i'm sure we both know there are LOTS of folks out there that should not. Hence,Mother Honda's CYA design. Ride often and Safe.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am new to my GW since last fall. I only have about 1000 miles on it but am not really sure what the pre-load does. I know it should be increased if carrying a passenger but why would you want to change it while riding?? Does it affect the handling or ride smoothness?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hello Snuffy,Yes to both questions. Let's say you are heading into the mountains,you are still on relatively flat roads,then as you get close to the twisties you need to stiffen things up a bit so you are ready to get into them.For the able,experienced rider,would be most convenient to do so without stopping. Honda doesn't allow it for liability issues.To see what the system can do for you,go to a bumpy road in your area,try different pressures and see what it feels,handles like.(not too fast)Ride often and Safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts