Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in my finally stages of purchasing a new 2010 ABS Goldwing from a dealer, and he's trying to sell me the pre-paid maintenance program. Do you all think it's worth the money or could I save money by just paying when the times come to have it done? Also, do you think it will cover tires? I do not have any skills what so ever to do the basic oil change.:eek: In the past, I have always taken my motorcycle to the shop so I can blame them when they screw it up. :(

From the dealer:
Also, we do have a pre-paid maintenance program ($1,800 for 3 years) which covers all scheduled maintenance per the owners manual. This is a great program for high mileage riders such as yourself.

·
Registered
449 Posts
From the dealer:
Also, we do have a pre-paid maintenance program ($1,800 for 3 years) which covers all scheduled maintenance per the owners manual. This is a great program for high mileage riders such as yourself.
I bought the maintenance program but it was alot cheaper then that!
It covers one front and one rear tire during the term. Oil changes every 3,000 miles and all other scheduled maintance as it comes due under Honda Guidelines. By the middle of august that will be 4 services already for me in the first year. It's going to pay off for me.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
programs

Most likely this program was thought up by the dealer and this dealer told you "it is good all over the USA"...and its only $1800 and the deal ends tomorrow. Hey and I have a set of slightly used encyclopedias which if your kids memorize they will pass their finals w flying colors. Fact is the deal is good no where because if u buy it and this dealer does the work, the work will be done by the lot boy practicing up to be a real mechanic and no other dealers in the USA will touch it. Dealers stay up nights thinking this stuff up.

Its a Wing, if it breaks, its covered by warrany and won't cost you anything. You can buy a lot of oil changes for 1800$.

I do support the extended waranty.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
1. I was where you are many years ago.
2. I was determined not to pay the "Stealers" exorbitant prices for simple maintenance items.
3. Instead of becoming the latest "scam" victim of your stealer-Purchase a service manual for you bike instead of the rip-off service contract.
4. Buy a Pit Bull lift
5. As service intervals come up-read your manual and have the satisfaction of performing these items yourself. It's fun and it will save you a ton of money.
Note: Have the stealer tell you exactly what will be done if you buy this contract. I would be interested in knowing if it is unlimited mileage? If you ride a lot, that's more oil changes, etc.
About the only real service is oil/filter changes, changing coolant and changing brake/clutch fluids and those are not often enough to spend $1800 for a service contract.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If you do 25,000 miles a year it might be worth it, but most of the time it's a waste of money. There is really nothing to do except oil changes, each 2 years you should change the fluids and at 24,000 miles the air filter needs to be changed. there is a valve check at 36,000 miles. The first oil change, according to the owners manual is 4,000 miles and than every 8,000 miles after that, I doubt if you can get them to change the oil every 3,000 because the schedule maintenance is 8,000. What happens if you don't like their service dept? your stuck with them because of the agreement you bought. How far in advance will you have to make an appt. to have it serviced?
You can learn to do the oil changes yourself, it only takes 10 minutes, If there is an accessory shop around you they can do it a lot cheaper than the dealer. I doubt that tires would be covered, and most of these things are only good at the dealer you got it from. Where in So. Calif are you? There are number of good Gold Wing shops around, Wing Stuff in Lake Forest, JBJ in Santa Ana, Highland Cycle in Highland,

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Oil change

I am about unmechanical. But, my dealer (whom I have a good rapport ) charges $60.00 for an oil change and filter. Believe this, I did learn to do it myself and it isn't hard. Actually its kind of fun.

On the service agreement, back when, one of the "gotta have it" schemes was 3 battery replacements. Sure, that is 4 bad batterys; as if that will ever happen. The battery game was just a ploy in writing to serve as window dressing for the so called agreement.

Basically the service contract is a high cost insurance policy over a short term covering situations that will not exist. It is genuis - FOR THEM ! :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
This is very much like the 600 mile service that some 'stealers' (I love that title!) have invented. There is no Honda contract that they have their dealers sell to the end customer, it's an "in-shop" thing only and like mentioned, is good only at your dealership, no-one elses. I'd be leary about the inclusion of tyres as well. Like tfdeputydawg mentioned, if you feel the need to spend extra money, get the service manual, it's worth every penny and it shows in black and white what the HONDA RECOMMENDED service intervals are and what steps should be taken during those intervals e.g. inspect/replace/adjust whatever. Just the knowledge of your bike that you can gain in the manual is great peace of mind. One other thing, never sell short your owners' manual, you'd be amazed at what's in there!
There could be a dealer or two get red in the face when I say Honda has no service contract program, but they don't. Shame on you if you try and sell that BS to your valuable customer. If it is an honest "you swear to stand behind and uphold the full extent on your dealership's honour and reputation" then full marks for providing solid service to your client. But this isn't the day of telegraph and pony express. Woe be tied the unscrupulous charlatan that gets caught with his hand in the customers' pocket. Places like forums (like this one) and people like Joe, tf, billcarr, marcsvette and all the others that speak out (and Honda dealers like me with shops operating for nearly 40 years) will gladly blow the lid off these things.
In the end it's your decision easy, judge well.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all, and that's why I love this forum. It has tons of information for me to make a well thought out decision. With this new found information, I will not get the pre-paid maintenance but get the owner manual.

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Thank you all, and that's why I love this forum. It has tons of information for me to make a well thought out decision. With this new found information, I will not get the pre-paid maintenance but get the owner manual.
Smart move. I think most on the forum would agree with your decision. Ride safe and congrats on your new Wing....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Two Wheel Wing,
But I don't have my great machine yet, but I should have it by the middle of next week. The dealer has to order one for me from the factory or another dealership, but the deal is made. Just waiting for my baby to arrive so I can ride.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[. Where in So. Calif are you? There are number of good Gold Wing shops around, Wing Stuff in Lake Forest, JBJ in Santa Ana, Highland Cycle in Highland,[/QUOTE]

I'm in Oceanside, CA area near the USMC base.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Enjoy and be careful easy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not sure how much you ride, but as someone else said, unless you ride 25,000+ miles a year, it probably isn't worth the money.

If you can, download a service manual online. They can usually be found quite cheap. That's what I do. And if I print it out, and it gets covered in oil/fluids, burnt, and unreadable (as shop manuals usually do), I can just print out another one.

Look at how easy you think things like an oil change, spark plug change, tire change, and other basic maintenance would be. If you feel it's beyond your comfort level, take it to the dealer. No point in flubbing it up yourself. But unless you ride a LOT, it's not going to cost you $1800 in 3 years.

Now, I'm not sure how easy Goldwings are to work on. My dad does basic stuff on his, without much issue. He does take it in for tire changes, as I guess the rear tire can be a bear, and I doubt he does motor work, like valve clearance checks (not sure how often those are done on a wing).

Honestly, you'll probably spend more in accessories and upgrades over the life of the bike, than you will on maintenance. And if the cost of maintenance keeps you from owning a motorcycle, you may need to re-visit your financial situation. :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Easyrider....I agree with everyones comments unless the deal is a great deal....When I bought my 2010 the dealer specific maintenance program was offered to me at a price of $1600....I told the dealer that I would pay $800....I bought it for $800 as part of the bike sale....(negotiated after the price of the bike) my program is 3 years unlimited miles includes a set of tires, all recommended maintence, includes a fall winterization (oil change) and Spring tune up (oil change & adjustments - not many to do) for three years...but it also includes two air filter changes and from what I have been told the air filter on the 2010's cost about $450 each since most of the bike has to be broken down to change the air filter...I thought for $800 it was worth it....I would not have bought it for the original $1600...

Yes buy the service manual...mine just arrived last night.....it big and heavy....but just crusing through it...it appears thorough.

Safe Ride

P.S. Honda does have a bumper to bumper warrenty program that extends the original warrenty from 3 years to 6 years....I am thinking about doing that on the bike....flipping the quarter:D

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The owners manual comes with a new bike. We're talking about getting the SERVICE MANUAL

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
What dealer are you getting it from? Where in southern California are you?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
P.S. Honda does have a bumper to bumper warrenty program that extends the original warrenty from 3 years to 6 years....I am thinking about doing that on the bike....flipping the quarter:D
On a Wing it's a 4year extended warranty. You have until the end of the 3yr warranty to purchase it.
You should watch this sight http://gl1800riders.com/forums/ for a sale that Hal(board sponser) of http://www.directlineparts.com/store.asp?str=4 has, usually around holidays and buy it from him.
Also, it is not bumper to bumper, the audio system is among various items not covered on the extended warranty.
Your local dealer should have a copy for you to read about the coverage.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Honda OEM oil: $4.99 qt
Honda OEM oil filter: 8.99 ea

Like the "Dawg" says... spend your money on the extended warranty and do the simple maintenance yourself. I recently bought my extended warranty from Direct Line Parts for $449 during their 4th of July sale. Also bought the Honda OEM manual on CD ROM.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
extended warranty

I bought the extended waranty a couple months before the original warranty expired. I paid 600$ and it is for 4 years. I have made money on this deal. It was worth the cost plus some. Some things are not covered as well as the original warranty, some electrical isn't covered, etc. Unfortunately mine runs out in spetember :(.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts