Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was given a power accessory socket as part of my accessory packet when I got my new Wing, and while looking at the directions I noticed the one on the lower right of page two seems to be for 06's on... mine is a '10... and it is different than my 08u55-mca-101 which is the one I was given and which is illustrated on page two, upper right, for the "up to '05 model year." See it here in this link: http://www.goldwingdocs.com/Docs/Honda%20Goldwing%20GL1800%20OEM%20Power%20Socket%20Installation-66D7B.pdf

I don't see why I can't use the one I have... it just seems to be missing an extra fuse... or is the schematic wrong?

Any ideas? Oh, and I can't seem to find a 30mm hole saw and I am thinking of using a dremal tool.... any advise on that?

Thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Not sure about the power accessory, but I think drilling with a dremal and making a perfectly round hole may be somewhat difficult. But then again, maybe I just have shakey hands... Good luck and ride safe..

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The socket is the same but on the 01 to 05 you can take the pocket out without removing the trim piece, the pocket and lid are one piece. On the 06 and up you have to remove the trim piece from the fairing before you can remove the pocket, If you look at the pocket where the front and the right side meet it is curved, there is a spot marked there for the plug. On my 08 I connected the plug and left it under the pocket because I only used it to power my PGS and never had to plug anything eles in.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
30mm hole saw is about an 1 1/8 ", any home Depot will have it. Dermel, of course will work. Is this the plug you have ?
Looks like that except with a fuse. It is exactly like the illustration sued in the instructions - in the upper right on page two.

I have a 1 1/4 I think it is, and a test hole in cardboard showed it to be just a smidge big and take the plug all the way to the wall when inserted. I might use that though, It seemed at Lowes the hole saws were very expensive for what they were.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the pocket out Joe. I know that I have to cut the hole in the angle of the upper right of the pocket because of the comfort lever as well. Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure about the power accessory, but I think drilling with a dremal and making a perfectly round hole may be somewhat difficult. But then again, maybe I just have shakey hands... Good luck and ride safe..
Yea... I may rethink that two wheel... you are correct.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Do you plan on using the outlet for just 1 item and leaving it plugged in or are you going to be useing different things into it. You don't need to drill a ole if you don't want, you could always just lay the plug in the bottom of the pocket.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Had my socket installed by dealer when I got my 2010 Wing. I use it to charge my I-Pod, cell-phone and GPS, one-at-a-time of course.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got it done yesterday. Man, it took what seemed like forever to get that red plug in plugged in! There is just no room in there and the wiring harness just does not come out far enough to make it easier. I finally cut the boot up it's length so I could have better access to the plug... and even at that, it was an absolute $%^^%*!. When I finally made the connections I used electrical tape to secure it around the plugs.

Anyway, I plugged one of my ipods in and the charger was lit and the music was playing so everything is A-OK!

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Got it done yesterday. Man, it took what seemed like forever to get that red plug in plugged in! There is just no room in there and the wiring harness just does not come out far enough to make it easier. I finally cut the boot up it's length so I could have better access to the plug... and even at that, it was an absolute $%^^%*!. When I finally made the connections I used electrical tape to secure it around the plugs.

Anyway, I plugged one of my ipods in and the charger was lit and the music was playing so everything is A-OK!
I believed in you. The S.O.P. here is that a picture be posted if possible for the visual admiration of others.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Congrats on a job well done. Enjoy the music...

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
I have a three-way adaptor on mine and charge two cell phones and run the GPS all at once .

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
It's a thing of beauty how Honda gets everything so neatly tucked in those nooks and crannies...until you want to hook something else in there. My hands are much better suited to punching er, things, rather than playing electrical brain surgeon. Could be why my man cave has the odd ding in the walls.:D

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believed in you. The S.O.P. here is that a picture be posted if possible for the visual admiration of others.
Hey... just saw this... sorry for the delay; and thanks for the encouragement.

I will be home with the Wing tomorrow and I will try to get a pic up asap!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts