Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is a factory connection in the trunk to wire up a power plug? I have a 2012 GL1800. Would like to be able to leave the cellphone in the trunk and charge it.
I'm using the power plug in the left fairing pocket to power my Garmin.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Welcome aboard Cowby. The socket that goes in the fairingshould work in tghe trunk. There is a pig-tail in the trunk on the '10 and prior, should still be there in the '12 as far as I know. Should be up under the removable trunk-lid panel I think, I know we have members that have 12v plugs in their trunks, hopefully on of the chimes in in this. Honda part # 08U55-MCA-301

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
There is probably a factory plug for the vanity mirror (option ) underneath the trunk lid panel. Otherwise, buy a generic 12v power outlet with cover cap from any auto store and wire it directly to the battery terminals with an in-line 15 amp fuse ( should be already included with the outlet ). Take the seat off and you'll see the route to the plastic wall that defines the trunk compartment.

·
Registered
344 Posts
As far as I know both Budoka and Chopin114 are correct. The reason you might not want to plug directly into the pigtail (assuming the '12 still have it) underneath the trunk lid is that it is probably only 3-5 amps like the pigtail in the left front pocket. If you wanted to plug something like a small air compressor into it you may fry the circuit. I monted one in the designated space in the trunk but ran straight to the battery and put a 15A fuse in the positive lead. I use the one in the left front for cell phone, etc.

I apologize for repeating what has already been said by Budoka and Chopin114 but just wanted you to understand why you might not want to use the plug & play pigtail that is already in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
As far as I know both Budoka and Chopin114 are correct. The reason you might not want to plug directly into the pigtail (assuming the '12 still have it) underneath the trunk lid is that it is probably only 3-5 amps like the pigtail in the left front pocket. If you wanted to plug something like a small air compressor into it you may fry the circuit. I mounted one in the designated space in the trunk but ran straight to the battery and put a 15A fuse in the positive lead. I use the one in the left front for cell phone, etc.

I apologize for repeating what has already been said by Budoka and Chopin114 but just wanted you to understand why you might not want to use the plug & play pigtail that is already in the trunk.
Yes sir, Ron. I have a 12v outlet in my trunk wired directly to the battery. It is " hot" all the time. I do use it to run my air compressor when needed. Charging a phone is one thing ; running a compressor is another. The versatility of wiring it directly to the battery with a 15 amp in-line fuse is the best option that allows for multiple functions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.