Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shocked to find that a 2009 Goldwing, which I will be purchasing in about a month, does not have one single power outlet/cigarette lighter. I am dumbfounded over this. Even the primitive harley ultra has one. So where on the motorcycle do you guys have them installed. I am going to have the dealer do it so I need a good location for one, maybe two. Also, how difficult is it to install? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
There is a knock out spot in the left pocket of the fairing for a 12v hookup. The unit goes in the upper right hand corner of the pocket. I had mine installed by the dealer when I purchased the bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I installed one last night

I installed a power outlet last night on my '09. Took about 15 minutes. You have to drill a 30mm hole in the pocket. I used a 1 inch hole saw and a file to enlarge it a little until the outlet fit. The bike has a plug-in ready for the outlet. So drill the hole, plug it in and you're done. Obviously you have to have the Hondaline outlet part to plug directly in the socket.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Extra power feeds

There are also auxilliary terminals behind the left side cover. you would have to hard-wire them in and route the extensions where you want them to be, but a little time and effort will get you all the outlets you can use. Pay attention to the rated outputs of the terminals and the accessories you plug in though.

·
Registered
692 Posts
... HOWDY ... PITT ... AS BUDO SAID ... I BOUGHT A AFTERMARKET POWER PLUG HARD WIRED IT IN AND CAN RUN (1 at a time) MOTORCYCLE BATTS. HAVE LIMITED AMPS. MY MARINE RADIO - GPS - ect. ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pictures

Might I bother you guys for a cpl pics of where you put your power outlet. That would be great. Thanks. 16 days and a wake up!!!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
There is a hot wire also in the trunk, under the trunk top liner.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey. I have a GL1500. I want to power a Garmin Nuvi GPS. It doesn't take a lot of power. The Nuvi can be charged from a PC, and the max a PC can supply is .5a at 5V, which is probably 200ma at 12V bike supply. So I don't have any concerns about wiring size, etc. However, I do have concerns to find a convenient source of 12V power.
Just opened the left pocket and didn't find any unattached power wires. I did find a wire to the left side amber light.
There appears to be a ground screw (with a green ground wire attached) near the CB.
I wonder if I can tap into the side light socket? Without butchering it, probably the best way is with another socket. Anyone know where/how to get one of those connectors? Both male and female sides, so I can insert a connector with attachment to the GPS power wire.

Mark.

·
Registered
692 Posts
... Aux Power ...

Hey. I have a GL1500. I want to power a Garmin Nuvi GPS. It doesn't take a lot of power. The Nuvi can be charged from a PC, and the max a PC can supply is .5a at 5V, which is probably 200ma at 12V bike supply. So I don't have any concerns about wiring size, etc. However, I do have concerns to find a convenient source of 12V power.
Just opened the left pocket and didn't find any unattached power wires. I did find a wire to the left side amber light.
There appears to be a ground screw (with a green ground wire attached) near the CB.
I wonder if I can tap into the side light socket? Without butchering it, probably the best way is with another socket. Anyone know where/how to get one of those connectors? Both male and female sides, so I can insert a connector with attachment to the GPS power wire.

Mark.
... HOWDY ... MARK ... I BOUGHT A SINGLE AUX. PLUG AND HARD WIRED IT TO THE BATT. ... TOOK ABOUT 10 MINS. AND WORKS GREAT ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ronzilla, you are certainly more of a mechanic and talented than I am. Your 10 minutes can be my full day or longer....
How did you route the power to the battery? What tupperware parts did you have to take off to get there and how did you route that wire? I'm going from the left handlebar, where the clutch is, to the battery?!?
Or is it better to go from that left pocket right to the battery and wire in a cig lighter socket? I happen to have a marine-grade waterproof one in hand. (I have a boat). I assume it should be fused....

·
Registered
692 Posts
Ronzilla, you are certainly more of a mechanic and talented than I am. Your 10 minutes can be my full day or longer....
How did you route the power to the battery? What tupperware parts did you have to take off to get there and how did you route that wire? I'm going from the left handlebar, where the clutch is, to the battery?!?
Or is it better to go from that left pocket right to the battery and wire in a cig lighter socket? I happen to have a marine-grade waterproof one in hand. (I have a boat). I assume it should be fused....
... HOWDY SAILOR ... YES FUSED AND A MARINE PLUG ... GOOD IDEA ... I STRAIGHTEND OUT A CLOTHES HANGER AND WIGGLED IT UP THRU THE LEFT SIDE OF THE FAUX GAS TANK ... I PLACED THE PLUG INSIDE THE LEFT FAIRING POCKET THEN TAPED THE WIRES TO THE HANGER AND WIGGLED IT BACK OUT ... CUT THE WIRES TO LENGTH ATTACHED EYE CONECTORS AND SHRINK TUBING ... DATS IT ... HAPPY TRAILS ... P.S. REMOVED NO TUPPERWARE ...

·
Registered
39 Posts
OK. I'm slow, but....
I found the 5a accessory terminal, just top of the fuse block on the left side of the bike behind a removable panel. This is apparently switched and fused. I can easily run a wire from there to my marine cig lighter socket, mounted in the left side pocket. Then I can either a) use a cig lighter Nuvi power cord from left pocket to Nuvi on left handlebar, or b) additionally hard wire a Nuvi 12V-5V adapter wire to the back of the cig lighter socket. Advantage of a) is ease of installation. Advantage of b) is that I can have something in the cig lighter AND the Nuvi running at the same time.

Far out. Got a plan, now just need all the bits and pieces (wire, connectors, drill.....). Everything will be marine grade, so splashed water or corrosion will not be a problem. Even the cig lighter socket has a cap to keep stray metal from shorting it out.

Thanks!

Mark.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just installed two power outlets and, in looking at the issue, here's what I found:

The fairing pocket adapter a few people have mentioned is a nice simple way to power an audio device since that is the same pocket the aux audio cable goes into. The power to that terminal switches off with the ignition, so whatever you have in there will turn off when you turn the motorcycle off at stops.

Installing a power outlet in the trunk requires a little care. There are components in the trunk above the trunk lid you install the power adapter into, so positioning is very important. I have an extra hole in my trunk lid now because I was a little off with where I drilled the hole. So just take care to allow for the space taken up by the other components in the trunk. The other trick is that there are two terminals in the trunk lid. One is there so you can put a brake light in the trunk, thus it's only powered when you use the brakes. The other is a hot lead that is always hot even with the ignition off, so if you plug anything in there you'll want to unplug it when you stop.

A third option is that you can install a powerlet adapter on the panel that covers the fuse block. There are terminals on the fuse block you can attach the power adapter to. I may do this at some point in the future to use for plugging in heated liners for winter riding.

So, depending on what you plan to use the power for, there are three options I know of and how they work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an 09 and installed the plug today. Once you remove the pocket, you should see a small circle with a small indention in the center to show where to drill. As you are looking down into the pocket, it is in the front right corner.The only problem is finding a 30mm hole saw. The 1 1/4" is 32mm and the 1 1/8" is 29mm. I used a 29mm and file to make it a little larger and it worked great. There is an additional plug available next to the MP3 plug and the Hondaline just plugs in fine. It can easily be accomplished in less than 30 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
i did like ronzilla on both wings

1 - 15 of 15 Posts