Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Harbor freight has a sale on power inverters thay have 200 watt,400 watt,and 800 watts the 400 watts is on sale $19.95 that will handle a drill or a buffer ect ? does any body use inverters and how do thay work on a bike system. Thay work on cars. Will the 400 screw up my charging system. Or is the 200 best choice ,or none .the 200w is good for charging ipods phones ect. I just like to have a little more power ,just in case appreciate all replies:confused:

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
your stator only puts out 300w

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
The inverter converts 12v DC to 110 AC. Course we all knew that. Here is the kicker. At idle with no load, my 400W inverter draws a mere .25 amps from the battery. But at load, it draws up to 45 amps. Even the small ones that just plug into a cigarette lighter draw very little current when idle but at full load can draw up to 15 amps from your battery. Conversion from DC to AC is not efficient at all. My advice is to not use them for very long or you will be push starting your bike. :D

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
I used to use a 12 volt compressor to fill the airbids on the 1200 and 1500 Wings when setting up camp, but I used alligator clips to the battery terminals and always started the bike about halfway through filling. In hind sight, I should have had the bike(s) running at the get go, but never had an issue. I've had nothing but grief with 12v inverters on my truck & camper (dual battery and isolators), always blew fuses so I quit using them. Bike systems are way less muscular so I wouldn't go there now either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.