Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a hard to find luggage rack on my 1500 and to find a replacement with a matching foot print was not happening and so I opted to powder coat the time worn chrome plated one and the star washers.
Well, since the Wing is black I went with the gloss black. The luggage rack has seen its share of the elements and items tied to it with bungee cords and the rack still looks good.
If you find yourself in a situation like I did and there was no duplicate part available, just powder coat it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Dear lady: Is powder coating a job that anyone can do at home, or best left to a paint shop ? Can plastic be powder coated ?

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dear lady: Is powder coating a job that anyone can do at home, or best left to a paint shop ? Can plastic be powder coated ?
I had my done at a powder coating shop in New Port Richey, Florida.
They took the luggage rack and they removed all formations of rust, they sand or bead blasted the chrome and rust off, they treated it with a base coat, I know they did a lot of prep work on it prior to the final gloss black. It's a job best left to the pros.
Powder coating on plastic would be a no-no as the metal parts enter an oven where the coating is 'Baked on' to be tough and durable. Plastic parts would be best painted.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
I had my done at a powder coating shop in New Port Richey, Florida.
They took the luggage rack and they removed all formations of rust, they sand or bead blasted the chrome and rust off, they treated it with a base coat, I know they did a lot of prep work on it prior to the final gloss black. It's a job best left to the pros.
Powder coating on plastic would be a no-no as the metal parts enter an oven where the coating is 'Baked on' to be tough and durable. Plastic parts would be best painted.
If there is baking involved, of anything that has to do with cooking outside of a microwave or a George Foreman Grill, I have no business doing it. I like the rack painted to match the bike. Simple and elegant. Functional without having to call attention to itself.

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
it loks good trike lady. i would have gotten some new star washers so i could have a chrome and black look for those that would notice

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
If I'm not mistaken: when powder coating, an electrode is attached to the metal project,ie luggage rack, the spay gun and powder are charge with the opposite polarity as the project. When the powder is applied the opposite chargers cause it the powder to be attracted to the project evenly . It is then baked to make it hard and strong.

By the way Lady nice looking job.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went for the 'Stealth' look. In time as the parts begin to rust or just begin to look shabby, they be packed up and sent off to be powder coated, all will be in the Gloss Black.
During Bike Week I purchased new rims for the Voyager. I bought the seat from the guy here who had a Corbin seat, it has a touch of teal on it. I'm looking to have Wing Bling do a fancy custom paint job on the crinkle finish parts. Black with holographic glitter.
Thank you Ron.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Small jobs can be done at home with a kit from the Eastwood Company, and an old toaster oven will cure the parts. Larger items like tl's trunk rack are best let to the pro's unless you have a very understanding significant other (oven usage) and lots of experience.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Speaking of powder coating......I have been thinking of having the wheels on my GL1800 sand blasted and powdercoated or chromed. With 90,000 miles on them, it is hard to keep the aluminum bright and shiney, I ride too much, (not really) but I am tired of cleaning the wheels. Has anyone ever redone the OEM wheels?

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I know lots of guys that have had their sport bike wheels powder coated. Great way to get some extra bling without the cost of billet or $$$ custom wheels.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Trike lady I really like the way it looks. Your Plan B made a heck of a nice Plan A!

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Speaking of powder coating......I have been thinking of having the wheels on my GL1800 sand blasted and powdercoated or chromed. With 90,000 miles on them, it is hard to keep the aluminum bright and shiney, I ride too much, (not really) but I am tired of cleaning the wheels. Has anyone ever redone the OEM wheels?
This summer " Rapier " will be having having his wheels chromed somewhere in Texas as he makes his way across the USA. The rear rim sure takes a beating from the brake dust. No matter what you do to the rims, the back one will still need a washing. Nothing is impervious to that metallic brake dust. Honda did well to keep that rear rim well hidden beneath the saddle bags. Design an airflow channel to keep the dust moving back there and then you have solved something.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Powder coating wheels on 1800

I had the wheels (and other items) powder coated on my 1800. As lond as you DONT have the tire pressure monitoring system you should be ok... and not that expensive.
Im trying to attach a photo of my bike... hope it come out.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had the wheels (and other items) powder coated on my 1800. As lond as you DONT have the tire pressure monitoring system you should be ok... and not that expensive.
Im trying to attach a photo of my bike... hope it come out.
Thank you for the pic and the info. I appreciate the feed back.:)

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Trike lady I really like the way it looks. Your Plan B made a heck of a nice Plan A!
Thank you. I am very happy with the new look. I liked a lot of the new racks for the 1500 and since they wouldn't fit, Plan B was the winner. Harley's aren't the only ones with powder coated black parts, even Wing owners can have that look. I would suggest powder coating to anyone who has a part that cannot be replaced.

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
fastlinecoatings

You have a PM in your inbox. Thank You

·
Registered
60 Posts
sfeather......your bike looks awesome! I think Honda should have made an 1800 just like that. All three of my bikes are going to get the black wheel treatment. I think it looks much better than the aluminum wheel look. Even polished aluminum. Great job with your bike. I could go for some more pictures of it, if you get a chance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts