Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I've been riding a long time, (60 yrs young) all solo, never larger than 750cc, mostly road or dual purpose. Current ride is 2009 BMW F650GS, just finished 2500 mile ride from Rochester NY to PEI, Nova Scotia and surrounding states.
The wife is tired of me going alone and wants to go with me now, so tomorrow, I will or will not buy a GoldWing, as there are a few nice deals on some 2009's around.
This bike is 900 lbs, and intimidates me a little, truth be known.
I know it's reliable and would be the best choice for a reliable, very comfortable tourer, especially for the passenger. I will keep the Beemer for around town short trips.
Can you guys tell me what to expect on control at low speeds, 180 deg turns , parking, etc? I know the bike would be smooth and easy at normal speeds, it's the low speed techniques I'm concerned with.
Being perfectly honest, I know there is personal feelings between GoldWing users and BMW users, but my other choice was the 1200 RT or similar, which made me feel more comfortable with control issues, being substantially lighter but enjoying a similar reputation for reliability. (not comfort)

Any other advice would be helpful. I don't want to get into the GW/BMW issue please.

Thanks,
RK

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
First, let me welcome you to the forum. Glad you found us. Your right the Wing is big and heavy, but don't let it's size or weight scare you. The key to riding any 2 wheeler is balance and technique. You said you were a long time rider, well the skills you have for riding a smaller bike will translate to a bigger bike. You need to know the capabilities of what you are riding and adjust to it. If weight is a concern, you might be interested in knowing that there are videos of short petite women lifting up a fallen Wing, so the size of the person is not the key, its the technique.

The Wing is what I believe to be the finest touring bike available but I'm sure BMW or Harley riders would say the same thing. My suggestion is to try one and see if you like it. If you do they buy it and enjoy riding with your wife on some great trips.

Enjoy and ride safe..

·
Super Moderator
28,444 Posts
Hardshell,

Welcome the the forum. As my fellow Keystone State rider said It is about technique. What I might add is Myself & others have messed up and dropped them. They can be picked up easily, that's not to say you want to do this regular.

Now to answer some of your direct questions. I will say I try to park in a way that allows easy exit. I do use reverse occasionally, some guys don't but to each his own. Taking low speed, off camber, cutback turns, onto a road that has gravel at it's intersection will have your heart in your throat. I can vouch for this because I did one today. However if you look through the turn all should be well. Two Wheel brings up a good point. Try one & see if you like it.
Just a side thought I was always under the impression that BMWs were not that much lighter.

One final thing is I will say is that my 1500 is not as nimble as an 1800.The 1800 has a lower center of gravity thus making it less top heavy.

Good luck on your search which ever way you buy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got two dealers to see tomorrow so we'll see what happens...
The BMW is over 100 lbs lighter than the GW.

Thanks,
Robert

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
I've got two dealers to see tomorrow so we'll see what happens...
The BMW is over 100 lbs lighter than the GW.

Thanks,
Robert
Weight becomes less of an issue based on the bikes distribution of the weight. I rode a BMW and found that it had a much higher center of gravity and was top heavy compared to the Wing. It also was too tall for me. I'm may be vertically challanged at 5'9" but I'm probably close to normal. Just my observation.. Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
692 Posts
... Howdy ... Anytime I Ride A New To Me Bike I Will Find A Parking Lot Or Place To Practice Low Speed Stuff - Off Camber - Hills - Starting/ Stopping ... Wings As With Most Road Bikes Do Not Like Gravel And Dirt Roads ... Happy Trails ...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys,
Well, I'm an official Winger.
Bought a beautiful one this morning with GPS, XM Radio, ABS, and so many buttons I will have to read the manual at least twice to figure them all out. Titanium color. It's an absolutely awesome looking bike.
The rear backup thingy is cool also, and the seat is better than my lazy boy. The wife is excited. If mommas happy, everybody's happy;)

I'm having the rear 90 deg valve stem removed and replaced with a standard black rubber one so I can use Dyna Beads with a filtered valve core.

Thats about it, so thanks to you all for your input. I liked this better than the BMW LT anyhow, but will still hang on to my F650GS for quick trips to the store and office, etc.

Regards,
Robert

·
Super Moderator
28,444 Posts
Robert,

Good for you! Welcome to the W.W.W. (Wide World of Wingdom).

You are correct I do everything possible to make wife comfortable. It makes for much more enjoyable riding.

You will not be sorry I'm sure with both your purchase or decision to keep your Bimmer. I to am a second bike owner for the exact reasons you stated. By the way the wife won't even sit on the Nighthawk.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your input, I'm sure we'll be talking again at some other time.

This morning we get the wife fitted out with clothing and helmet, and I think I'm changing mine from a full face to either a flip-up or the open style with the new face shield features, like the new HJC I saw yesterday. The full face I know will be too hot in the summer behind all that fairing and windshield.

It's probably not proper to extend this thread in the introductory section, so I better knock it off before someone chews me out :eek:

Thanks,
Robert

1 - 10 of 10 Posts