Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here, so I hope this hasn't been answered a hundred times already.

I've been riding for years, mostly sport and dual sport bikes. Currently ride a Suzuki DL1000 Vstrom, and ride it as often, and as far away, as time permits. Love its versatility, and have modded the heck out of it so it does pretty much everything I want it to.

I would, however, like to have a smoother bike for two-up long hauls, but don't want to cough up much at this point, particularly not $15K+ for a latest generation Goldwing. I do all my own wrenching, and can do pretty much anything on my bikes. I'm tempted to pick up an older Wing (there's an '86 near me with less than 30K miles on it), but am wondering whether I'd be getting into a maintenance money pit. I'd definitely want to install a cruise control, but don't know if that's possible (installed a nice vacuum-actuated one on my Vstrom). A new, or reworked, seat might be also be a necessity, in light of some tailbone and back issues. Lastly, having talked with the current owner, and given the low miles on this '86, I don't believe the stator, rectifier, timing belt, or just about anything else has been replaced.

I'd really appreciate any advice, either way, that you all might give me on this decision? Thanks much.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello cbennett, welcome to GWOF. sounds like you keep your vstorm properly maintained so keeping up with maintainance on the wing should be no problem for you. i have a1200 and 1500wing but i've been riding the 1200 wing for the past few days. its always a joy to ride it and its been pretty much trouble free. if you are happy with the wing you are looking at then get it otherwise look around at whats out there. i just saw an'89 for $4000 the other day

·
Registered
5 Posts
just bought one

I just bought an '86 Goldwing Aspencade SEi, it has 41k miles on it, and I hope i made the right decision. It sounds like if i just keep up on maintenance it should last a very long time?

p.s. any idea on how to change the rear top turn signal bulb?

Metal99

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
cbennett5199, 1st Welcome to the GWOF. Now addressing your question. The 1200 was/is a great bike but it had a issue with the Stator. There are lots of solutions but if you look at one that should be a question to ask. Do a search here for "stator" & you should get plenty to read. Unfortunately also 1200 parts & such are getting a little scarce. If you can swing a couple extra bucks to get yourself into a 1500 it probably would be a benefit.

My bottomline recommendation would be to do loads of research, you already have something to ride so there should be no rush. Also right now is not necessarily the best time to buy. Wait a little into the winter season & you should be able to save some cash.

Remember ask Lots of Questions we really don't mind & many of us fill our need to help. It also passes good time so we don't always end up discussing dribble.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cbennett5199, 1st Welcome to the GWOF. Now addressing your question. The 1200 was/is a great bike but it had a issue with the Stator. There are lots of solutions but if you look at one that should be a question to ask. Do a search here for "stator" & you should get plenty to read. Unfortunately also 1200 parts & such are getting a little scarce. If you can swing a couple extra bucks to get yourself into a 1500 it probably would be a benefit.
I've heard about this issue, and think your suggestion re: parts availability is a good one. That issue gets me a bit nervous, particularly if I'm out in the middle of nowhere and I need a ____ to get the bike rolling again.

Thanks for the input, and to Larry, I'll definitely check out gwrra.org.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
by keeping the plug for the stator and rectifier clean you'll avoid any problems without soldering. i've had my 1200 wing since '07 and never took thetime to solder the wires so i just clean the dirt off with brake parts cleanre and then put dielectric grease on them

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The 1200s were and still are a solid bike. The 1500 is just more so. Either way you go will be a great ride. Advice like detdrbuzzard and a couple of the others above is very sound. Add an avatar and a sig if you want.

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
Being an out of towner so as to speek. But so far I have brought.
1/ A new exhaust.
2/ New belts
3/New stator
4/New starter
5/New clutch plates and seal
6/New front fork seals[rechromed forks]
7/New mirors
I'm not saying that the 1200 wing aren't getting hard to find parts, but so far I have got everything that I have needed. A lot of parts have come from the USA. I intend to clock up some big miles fast and if all works out in a couple of years take a big splash in up grading. As far as I'm conserned, don't be too scared of an old 1200. Welcome to the site. Eric

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
since buying my 1200 wing tires and timing belts have been the big ticket items, oh iso grips and driver backrest. everything else has just been cosmetic

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm one of the ones that didn't do much research when I purchased my 84 Aspy. It was beautiful, showroom condition and with only 9800 miles on it. I did'nt know about the problems with the connectors. At 25000 I fried the stator in the middle of nowhere. I did the poorboy conversion and put a GM racing alternator on it. I also had to rebuild the clutch cylinder and front caliper. No problems so far finding parts. It is a great ride, have taken it from San Antonio to Calif a couple of times, one of those by way of Seattle. I have upgraded to a 98 1500A a couple weeks ago. That's another story for a different thread. Even with the minor problems (except for the stator, that I consider major), I do not regret buying the 1200 and enjoy riding it very much alone, or 2 up, it's all good. I think if you do as others mentioned concerning the 3 yellow wires and the plugs for the rect. you could probably avoid problems like I had with the stator. Enjoy the forum, enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Follow up and decision made on this one

Just to follow up on this thread, I test drove the '86 1200 that I was interested in. It only had 28K miles on it, the body plastics were great, and was mostly in really good condition.

The owner listed it as "mint": It was not mint. It had no radio (just an empty space), rust in some places as a result of being covered outside, leaking fork seal, leaking front brake caliper, slow starter turns on start-up, and a few other things. My guess was that, if I got the bike, I'd discover more stuff that needed work as I took things apart. The motor sounded, felt, and looked strong and clean.

Major problem: I'm 6-4, and the seat sits too low to me. My knees where above my thighs, which is not the way I like to ride. Those ergos just don't feel controlled enough to me, and makes me too scrunched up. Given these ergos, along with my desire to not have a "project bike" (though I'm OK with doing some stuff in the beginning), I decided to move on. I'll keep looking at Wings, since they're so nicely set up for two-up riding. I'll also be taking serious looks at some BMWs (both RT and LT bikes). I'm in no rush, but I guess just afflicted with the desire to look for good deals on bikes that I might like to add to my family.

Thanks again to all of you who responded to my questions. Really appreciated your insight, and am very impressed with this forum!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts