Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybe?

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  JK McDonald 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, I just joined the forum I am looking at getting a 1989 GL1500, actually I am going to trade my bike a 2006 Boulevard C50T for the Goldwing if both of us agree after test riding and looking over each others bike this coming Sat.
I hav a few questions for those that know the Goldwing.
I checked the VIN. of his bike and it comes back as an Aspencade, but he says it's an SE, the picture looks like an SE but Im confused because what I have found is that the SE did not come out until 1990.
is it possible that the bike got the SE trim but still titled as a 89 aspencade?
also what should I look for when I check his bike out
Thanks in advance for all your help

#2 ·
Not sure about US models, but in 89 I'm pretty certain there was only one level of 1500 available for Canada. Just remember you're looking at a bike that's pushing 25 years old, so all rubber hoses and parts need to be checked. Service records would be a real bonus. Timing belts I would change, and check the tire sidewalls for dating even if the tread looks ok, they could be hard and brittle. Check all electrical functions and make sure the systems operate as they should (rider passenger i/c, CB if it has one, sound system, lights switches, reverse lever etc). Check the fork seals for weeping, same with removing the sidecovers and looking for coolant/oil leaks; general stuff you would look at on any used and somewhat older bike, it is a motorcycle still.:D

#3 ·
In 1989 there was only one level of GL1500 for the American market also, the SE didn't arrive until 1990. In 1989 the vin number will read; 1HFSC220KA****** for the non-California model and 1HFSC221KA****** for the California model.

This post has been deleted
#6 · (Edited)
Are you sure it is 2203 and not 223, in 1990 the SE models were SC223 and 224. However this still is confusing because the date code is for an 89, the 90 date code is LA

After checking my book I found that your bike is an GL1500 SC220 the 3 is the check digit K is your year and A is manufactured in Ohio.

#4 · (Edited)
Make sure that the vin# in the title matches the vin# on the bike.

I've heard of stories where a stolen bike that had no title was resold using a title from a wrecked bike of the same year or even a different year, without ever actually checking the vin# on the bike against the title no one would ever suspect.

If the bike is badged as an SE and has all of the options of an SE, it maybe an SE but would not be a 1989 model, it may just have a title for a 1989 Aspencade

#5 ·
Starting in 1990 the Aspencade could be ordered with all the same stuff that the SE had to offer, this was from Hondaline. My bike is a 1998 Aspencade and has all the equipment that a SE has except the lighted switch sets and SE paint job.

I don't understand why your Vin number has the SC2203 Check the vin number stamped on the frame see if they match or if they have been tampered with.

#8 ·
Mechanic's Lean -

Hey Keith, A word of caution - this bike may very well be clean with no issues but I'd investigate to make sure there aren't any discrepancies between the title, year, serial number and model very closely before any money changes hands. A few years ago a friend bought an 88 Goldwing that had been parked a while only to find out it had a serial number vs title issue. The purchased bike actually had an unresolved mechanic's lean against it as well as the tail end of a bank loan remaining in a nearby town. According to the seller, he had bought it as a project from a third party and was unaware of the switched title when he sold it to my friend. I think the orphaned bike that matched the title was found to have been wrecked and sitting in someone's back yard.

Once the police were involved the Goldwing was confiscated and my buddy was out his purchase price plus over $800 in shop fees to get it back road worthy. In the long run a small claims court awarded him the purchase cost but I don't think he ever got his money back from the seller.

Good Luck, Michael :)

#10 ·
Verification Can Be a Pain -

Hey Keith, The frame serial number is found stamped into the right side of the steering head or yoke. The VIN ID number is found on an aluminum plate attached to the upper right shoulder of the frame - under the center tank panels.

Goldwing owners are well known to update, modify and add options to suit their riding preference but of course the serial numbers will always still match the title. Although a pain to verify, it may be well worth the trouble to check that your numbers all match up.

Just my opinion, Michael

#13 · (Edited)
Sounds Great -

Hey Keith, Glad it all turned out good with your bike deal. Florida is a fantastic year around bikers paradise. We have taken a couple of runs down to the keys and have always had an enjoyable trip.

Just be a little cautious initially in your low speed parking lot maneuvers. The 1500 can be a little top heavy and really catch you off guard if not careful. I tipped mine over on to the engine guards while loaded with camping gear one time and just about permanently changed my voice standing it back up. The best method is to turn sideways with your butt up against the seat and use your legs (not your back) to level things up again.

Again welcome to the world of wings.....

Michael :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.