Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I m presently looking for a touring machine and have found an 86 GW Aspencade with 102,000 on it that needs a new front tire and has a "every now and then" drip from the rear dif. Other than that it's in pretty good shape, runs well, and everything works. The paint is alittle faded from age and it does have some aftermarket stuff, seat, backrest, pass armrests, saddlebag lid protectors, and a few other things. I can pick it up for $1,400, should I be worried about the miles?

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. If the engine runs and sounds good it should be fine. The Wings have been known to make 300,000 miles. On a 1200 the biggest concern is the stator/alternator.

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
1st off welcome to the GWOF. 2ndly Wings have very commonly achieved that mileage & then another 100k, so high mileage really has little bearing on a well maintained bike. 3rdly if that bike fits your budget & it is singing the "Ride me" song than I say go for it.

Finally talk to the owner most Wing guys keep pretty good maintenance records. Have a look at them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer took it on trade, so there is no records available. They dont want to hassle with it because its old and has high miles, so there just trying to sell it for what the gave him for trade.

Is that a good price?

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts
That's a reasonable price, for a bike with unknown history.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
You are getting some good advice from the above. I know of one 1200 that had over 300,000 when it was trade in. The Stator/ alternator was the weak point but I'd bet with 100,000 miles on it, that problem has been taken care of.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Welcome to the forum from down in Texas.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Since you are handy with a wrench you should be able to handle most maint on the Wing. A bike that old is hard to find someone who will work on it. Good luck and let us know what you decide...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks......we are heading out tomorrow EARLY in the morning to take a look, ride, and maybe buy. I'm taking the trailer since I know nothing about the bike and dont want any unknowns happening while going 90, I mean 65, on the highway for 300 miles while coming back home.

If we do pick it up, it will go through a massive inspection/cleaning, fluid change, and maybe cam belt, before I do any long distance on her.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
if you decide to buy it a cam belt change is a must

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Hint: Don't pull up in front of that dealership with that trailer on the back. Park along the backside someplace..... as they will think it is sold if they see that trailer and won't budge on the price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Agree with detdrbuzzard - if the cam belts haven't been changes, they are way over due. My 96' is coming up on 60K miles and I've got belts on the way. I've changed them on my 82', wasn't to bad of a project... hopefully it will be relatively smooth on the 96'. Good luck on your purchase!

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
mtnkwby, You sound like you know what is required to keep a bike in good shape, and you got some good feedback on your concerns. Goldwings are nearly bulletproof if maintained and treated with a little respect. Welcome and enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
check the stator plug also, it should not be melted

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What a POS! VERY disapointed in the dealership and there sales ethics. The "slightly" sun baked paint, turned out to be completly fried and peeling EVERYWHERE!!!! The wing was road hard and put up wet......alot. On top of that they wouldnt let me test ride it to boot. I lost it at the sales guys, walked out and went back home.....what a waste of a day and gas. I was also REALLY cramped on it, I think it had a "reach" seat on it for a shorter rider, I'm 6'1" and 250.

Still looking!

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Breathe Chuck Breathe. Sometimes what appears to be a too good to be true deal is exactly that. So now hit ebay, craiglists, cycletrader, etc. etc. etc. & keep searching. The right Wing is out there with your name on it. Do some research for yourself to learn what to look for on what years & don't worry about questions ask away & we'll try to help.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwinghistory.htm

·
Banned
3,192 Posts

Looking for a good bike for a good value is tough duty. Keep looking...... you will find the right bike. Given your size, I would seriously look at a 1500. The power, the cockpit.... the features. The available parts..... and no stator issue. I am not knocking the older wings. They are great. Just saying, there was a major change in the Wing when they produced the 1500.

I started shopping in May of last year and found mine in Oct. I looked at over 20 bikes before I found the one I wanted.

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts
I'm 6' and don't feel too cramped up on my 1200. So it must have some kind of odd seat. If they wouldn't even let you test ride it, I'd have stayed away from it anyway. I'm sorry you wasted your time with it.
It took me several months to find mine, but it was well worth the wait.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
I don't know if you are aware that the seat can be moved back or forward. This may have made it a good fit for you. Eric

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I started the search about 2 weeks ago, sometimes "deals" are not such a deal. I'm not worried about it, I have plenty of time on my hands and still have a bike to ride for now. I've scoured the CL for some local stuff and have up'd the $$$ that I will spend. I am going to take a look at a local 1500 tomorrow and see if I like it. I kinda like the 1200's looks better, more engine showing, than the 1500. I've found some local 1200's that look pretty good and are a decent price too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.