Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem with starting on my GL 1800 -2008 only around 30000 kms on the dial. Cleaned the starter button to no avail but it seems that if I just lean the bike a couple of degrees to the left, then It starts without fail!! Shall I call an exhausist!????
Anyone ever had this problem??
With thanks.
John in Australia ([email protected])

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
There is a devise called a " Bank Angle Sensor ", which in a tip over will turn off the bike. I'm grabbing for straws here too, but that is the first thing that came to mind when you said " lean the bike a couple of degrees " .

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
There is a devise called a " Bank Angle Sensor ", which in a tip over will turn off the bike. I'm grabbing for straws here too, but that is the first thing that came to mind when you said " lean the bike a couple of degrees " .
I will go with what Lee has said he's SMRT.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My GL 1800 is not possessed anylonger!!!

Thanks fellows for all the suggestions and William who obviously has not followed his own advice and discovered some obscure gizmos and secret gadgets the GL 1800 possessed.
I found the answer!!!!
Nothing to do with the bank angle sensor!! Oil grade or type. Connectors or switches!! I hope this saves a few engines.
All to do with oil level.
The starter will activate if oild level is correct, if the level is bellow the safe level it will automatically cut off. My level was down after a long trip to the center of Australia and a huge heat wave we just had.
So if I leaned my bike a couple of degrees the starter would connect and the bike could start. If the bike stayed dead vertical one could press the starter switch as much as one would to no avail!! So first thing: Check your oil level!! Thank you all!!

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
It is very easy to assume that a man has checked his oil level before, during and after a long trip, that is something the majority of guys wouldn't be concerned with upon troubleshooting because of their good maintenance habits. Maintenance is the key to a reliable machine!

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Thanks fellows for all the suggestions and William who obviously has not followed his own advice and discovered some obscure gizmos and secret gadgets the GL 1800 possessed.
I found the answer!!!!
Nothing to do with the bank angle sensor!! Oil grade or type. Connectors or switches!! I hope this saves a few engines.
All to do with oil level.
The starter will activate if oil level is correct, if the level is bellow the safe level it will automatically cut off. My level was down after a long trip to the center of Australia and a huge heat wave we just had.
So if I leaned my bike a couple of degrees the starter would connect and the bike could start. If the bike stayed dead vertical one could press the starter switch as much as one would to no avail!! So first thing: Check your oil level!! Thank you all!!
Thank you , bushman. Funny, my local riding buddy has recently been experiencing intermittent re-starting issues in the course of some rides. I'll pass this on to him .

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Simple fix to a simple problem, cheers for that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
not possessed anylonger.

:):):):)Perfection is an illusion, like perfect people! It's ok Santini you may cast the first stone!

BTW; A friend of mine also experienced the same problem on a Harley.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
:):):):)Perfection is an illusion, like perfect people! It's ok Santini you may cast the first stone!

BTW; A friend of mine also experienced the same problem on a Harley.
I wasn't casting any stones. I was only pointing-out the reason why most wing riders would overlook the oil level in your situation, because unlike myself the majority of these guys are meticulous about the care of their bikes and in doing so may never experience a problem related to fluid level.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not possessed anymore!!

Hi Chopin.
It was simple discovery. Could not work out with my starter button would not work. A friend had the same problem on a Harley tourer but I discovered that if I just leaned just a couple of degrees to the left I would press my start button and I had contact.
So it was a simple deduction, the starter had to be somehow connected to oil level. So now it's all good!! Thank you all for your suggestions.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Hi Chopin.
It was simple discovery. Could not work out with my starter button would not work. A friend had the same problem on a Harley tourer but I discovered that if I just leaned just a couple of degrees to the left I would press my start button and I had contact.
So it was a simple deduction, the starter had to be somehow connected to oil level. So now it's all good!! Thank you all for your suggestions.
One last question: When you tried the start button, and the bike would not start, did you hear any relay switching/ clicking activity, headlights dimming as they do on normal starts, or was there dead silence and nothing going on or changing with the electrics ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
not possessed anylonger!

No, everything was just normal, just the starter button would not start. Like if could have been a fuse, or dirty connector in the switch, nothing more nothing less. I just hope this little drama may save some engines down the road. Just keep on checking that oil!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.