Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just done a head job on a 1983 gl1100 started just fine but at low idle is was popping. So i pulled it back apart adjusted the valves (intake.004 and exhaust.005) and it still pops at low idle on the right side could this be a stuck valve, carb, spark plug or what if it is a stuck valve how can i unstick it at high speeds it does'nt pop

Thanks Olliup

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEE HELPPPPPPPPPPPP

·
Premium Member
24,510 Posts
If you are a GWRRA member I'd suggest a note to Stu Oltman (Workbench).

·
Registered
837 Posts
Mis-Fire

Hey Olliup, If you are primarily seeing your problem at idle it sounds like you may have one of your cylinders on the right bank running a little lean (vacuum/air leak). The popping sound is when the exhaust valve of the lean cylinder opens. It's (unburned fuel/air) mixture is ignited when exposed to the hot exhaust from the other cylinder.

Just to be consistent, take a look at your spark plugs and if there is a difference in their color at the firing tip - swap them out with the other (good side) to see if the problem moves to another cylinder.

Also, a quick check for a vacuum leak would be to take a can of carb cleaner with the attached nozzle straw and spray lightly around the intake manifold of the right side to see if your engine RPM picks up. After a head removal - a minor vacuum leak can easily occur around the rubber boots....

Good Luck, Michael :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts