Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all- I've got a 1990 Standard. Just got it. First Goldwing. The carbs needed work. Got them out cleaned repaired and back in. Did some body panel repairs and cleaned it up underneath when all those fairings were off. Got it back together and it runs real sweet now. Only thing is the mileage is not what it could be. On the highway at about 65-70 mph it's getting about 31 MPG. I think/hope that it should get more like 40MPG or better. :confused: Any help or advice here. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Once you go over 3000RPM's you will see a drop in MPG's but you still should be getting about 35 MPG at that speed. Slow down to about 60 to 65 and you will see a big jump in MPG. Shift at around 2000 to 2500 RPM's. But there are still things to check, how about your plugs, and fuel filter, Is you choke all the way off? Does it have an after market BIG windshield? Markland made a windshield for the 1500 that a lot of people used, it is BIG and really protects you from the wind but cuts your MPG way down. If you need to replace your windshield think about getting a Tulsa, they slant back and can add a couple of miles per gallon. I put one on my 98SE when I had it and I really liked it,

·
Registered
183 Posts
Markland Windshield

Joe in Calif
I have a extra tall windshield, really tall may be Tulsa don't know.
No wind at all maybe a little tickle on my back.
I don't like the looks of the bike with it on and was thinking of changing it to a solar tint stock high with vent. In windy conditions it seems to make the bike handle a task. I may take a 1800 mile trip this next year. Do you think it would be a mistake to swap shields?
I thought that pushing all that shield would decrease milage.
See picture of bike in my icon.
Thanks, Carl334

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Kind of hard to tell what kind of shield it is, that is a small picture, does it slant back like the one on my 98SE? most shields will have a manufacturers name on it usually on the bottom at the lower part of the shield. does your shield curve in and then out again at the very top? If it a Markland shield it will reduce mileage but will keep the wind of your passenger. Bigger shields do a better job then stock ones. Do you ride 2 up? I would go with a stock height shield but I like looking over them not through them, with the stock one you can adjust them up & down. Can you post a bigger picture of the windshield?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just because you "think" you got the carbs cleaned you need to do it 3 more times. Plus your tuning, so check it. Spark plugs, good oil, the way you push it, rear end...

To get it perfect you have to dig down and go ape shit from the frame up. Since you are talking about the body tells me that you care more about the looks. You have 30 years of neglect that cleaning of carbs will not take care.

Maybe in la la land free stuff comes to life. I wish for it every day.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Body Panel repair

ScottWings54
How did you repair the body panels?
Thanks,
Carl334
Hi Carl-
The Body panels are all made of ABS. I used ABS glue from the hardware store, go to the plumbing section and find abs pipe stuff. Also tried JB Weld. I used fiberglass drywall tape. That comes in a roll and looks like screen mesh. Just laid the tape in while the glue was wet. Same when I used the JB Weld. Just sort of used the same techniques as fiberglass repairs only with these two materials
(seperately). They both worked great. There is a website that I found out about by going back thru old posts and threads in this owners forum. The product is called Plastifix(I think). They have alot of good info on ABS and other types of plastic repairs.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
carbs out of sync

·
Registered
13 Posts
...You have 30 years of neglect that cleaning of carbs will not take care.

(2009 minus 1990 does not equal 30. I saw no mention of neglect in his post.)

Scottwings54,

Put your bike on the centerstand and make sure you do not have excess brake drag, and check for bearing noise or wear. What pressure are you running your tires at?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts