Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Poor (OK, OK, cheap) man's easy-out.

While not quite McGyver level ingenuity, I'll pass this along for others who may have use of it sometime.

Despite all due care, I snapped a valve cover bolt replacing Bobo's covers after a valve adjustment. Fairly small bolt, about 3/16ths inch. Drilled a hole in it to hopefully extract it with an easy-out that I'd have to locate and buy. For the heck of it, I put a T-20 TORX screwdriver in the vice and carefully cleaned up and sharpened the splines with a very small triangular file (yes, Val, one you supplied! Thanks!) I knew the bolt metal wasn't hardened from the way it cut while drilling it.

Anyhoo, used a small hammer to tap the sharpened T-20 into the drilled hole and then continued tapping while applying counterclockwise torque on the screwdriver. Took some force but Voila! the little bugger is extracted. Cost? 10 minutes of time. Result? Priceless!:D

I just hope "priceless" isn't the market value of the replacement valve cover bolt!:eek::(

·
Administrator
15,387 Posts
I don't know, that sounds pretty McGyver like to me. Way to go I'll remember that trick.

·
Administrator
29,073 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,539 Posts
Well done Tatanka. I'd have been hooped for sure, my bolt extractors are pretty much shot. Of course someone on the bit (no pun intended) would likely have replaced them already with some better ones:eek:

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, you learn something everyday! I never knew that right-handed and left-handed people had to use different drill bits. Huh!;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.