Honda Goldwing Forum banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Goldwing in Red (the fastest color)
1,700 Posts
Used to own a Vulcan with Vance and Hines pipes made my head hurt and I was ashamed of the sound, the popping, and the backfires. Bought my wing from a dealer friend that deals mostly in HD, when he started the wing for the first time all he had to say was it sounded like a small block V-8. He had to hunt for almost a year to get me my wing but told me that I could have any year model and color of HD in a day. Seems that HD owners like the noise to make up for the lack of power, handling, and ride comfort.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My Road King has aftermarket pipes...but they're not really louder, just a deeper rumbling than stock. It's good for what it is. Nothing satisfies the need to ride a Harley better than a Harley.

But, when I'm on my Wing, I'm always entertained by the ability to hear the tires on the pavement. I just don't hear that on my HD. It's a different experience. Both fun for what they are.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've had one bike with straight pipes. Thought it sounded great, when I bought it.
Ten minutes down the road, I was questioning. After my first highway run, I'd had enough. Shortest bike ownership I've ever had (about an hour). I got another with standard pipes, and was much happier. Having said that, the loud one only went as far as my wife (only rides occasionally, and for short runs), who loved it until she got on a Burgman 650, and then it was gone!

I certainly don't believe they save lives, and if you don't re-tune to accommodate the different breathing, they don't exactly add power, but each to their own.
I don't like to be behind them any more than I do "tricked out" diesel trucks spewing black clouds, neither is my idea of fun, but fortunately I have a Wing, so don't have to be behind for long.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Actually most straight pipes detract power even is retuned, in general those shorty open pipes are deemed as untunable. As far as electrics, I the one I had was the most fun bike I ever owned. I will be getting another

·
Registered
249 Posts
Noise wears out quickly 'over the road'....for bar-hopping bikers its probably a good conversation piece.

Reactions: 823Jim and NREMTP

·
Registered
1993 GL1500--1993 Electra Glide--2002 Custom sporty--xr Honda 50 pitbike
25 Posts
When I was young and dumb I didn't think anything of it. Seems like louder the better. Even with cigarette butts for ear plugs they were loud. Now,I appreciate the mellow rumble of a bike. Oh don't get me wrong. I do have one of those loud and obnoxious bikes and what a blast it is to ride .Of course with better ear plugs
Stay Safe
Keep your knees in the breeze

·
Registered
61 Posts
Experience says loud pipes scare the Bighorn sheep away. The tourists at Valley of Fire that day wished I never showed up.

Reactions: fossil92

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm not a fan of really loud pipes like my idiot neighbor on his fat boy. A little rumble, is fine but don't want to go overboard.

If loud pipes save lives, just think what actually learning how to ride would do...

·
Registered
2020 Goldwing Base - Dark w/ Red
29 Posts
Not a fan and find them annoying, especially the really loud ones. Yet I respect anyone's right to have them and if it makes them feel safer by thinking it helps to alert others to your presence then so be it...to each their own...

·
Registered
153 Posts
To each their own, but personally I like the smooth and reasonably quiet song of my 1800. One of my sons has a Fat Boy with drag pipes and it is awfully loud, but I am still willing to ride with him. My other son has a '97 Valkyrie with a really sweet 6 into 6 exhaust, and despite being a little on the louder side, it is nothing like his brother's Fat Boy.

I like to hear the stereo and the intercom, so no loud pipes for me, thanks.

·
Registered
2021 dct tour
128 Posts
I was the kid that put the playing cArds in his spokes with my mom's clothes pins so my bicycle would make lots of noise as I was coming down the road not much has changed really ..this is a gold wing forum so this is a loaded question ,here of course people are gonna like things a little quiet for the most part but I also like muscle cars and the nastier they sound and the more noise they make Give it to me ...my goldwing I like how it purrs

·
Registered
50 Posts
I admit that I like the sound of a good exhaust, bike or cage, but to sound good does not mean loud.

I currently have a Honda Phantom that I drilled a 9/16” hole in the baffle plug. It got just a touch louder but the tone was so much better. I did not notice any difference in performance or fuel mileage. So apparently the engine was not affected negatively. Until I put the windshield on the bike the wind was still louder.

I have tinnitus, too many concerts, gunfire, and loud work environments, so I have a real distaste for loud noises. The next bike will most likely be a GW,,,looking forward to the quiet and less vibration.

While we’re talking about bikes and noise I will throw in the riders that feel the need to have their stereo’s so loud they can be heard a mile away, to me it is the same as the loud pipes!!! Overly loud stereo’s from cages are unwelcome as well, I don’t discriminate.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 DCT TOUR
16 Posts
I guess I’m the oddball here. Traded my 13 F6B in June for a 21 tour. The 6B had torqueloops and tourquemasters on it and when hitting it , it sounded like a Porsche , awesome sound but totally quiet at speed. Only barked when you twist the grip. Soooooo, on the 21 I replaced stock with flow through mufflers from 2 guys racing. They fit in the original muffler covers so stock look which I like. It bumped the sound 20%ish , again in the throttle only but no difference at speed. So best of both worlds.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts