Honda Goldwing Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
No thanks. I don't mind nice throaty sound, but not the overbearing sound of some them out there. I do like the nice purrr of the wing.
To stay visible, I make sure I can see the cagers mirrors and as an instructor once told me, wave to every kid in a car. They usually let mom and dad know that the man on a motorcycle just waived to me, making mom or dad aware of me. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I guess I'll get back onto getting my old GL going sometime this fall because I do miss the quiet & smoothness on the road. As of right now the old Norton Roadster is what got restored first and therefore is what is put to the road. Definitely not the smoothest, but it is quick & nimble enough with loads of power. The exhaust is not too annoying providing the throttle isn't treated like it was 40 years ago when I stored it away, but cruising under 70 it doesn't wear on me too much...I guess. A lot of that can be attributed to all of the years of riding without a helmet too because my hearing isn't the best anymore.
Reading this again has hopefully gotten my motivation rolling again to finish up the GL 1000 before engine noise, wind, & exhaust finish off my hearing. Only have tires, carbs, & brakes left to do and it's roadworthy.
Be safe. Don't be deaf.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
We just got back from our cross country trip and rode through the hills on the last leg. The noise was deafening as 99% of the bike have megaphones installed. I see it as just part of the fashion thing but local resident must really hate being outdoors during the rallys. It's nice to be above the law I guess :)

I wonder how many hours you ears ring after a long ride? I don't think I could do 500 mile days with loud pipes, I could not stand that much coolness :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just joined this forum this morning and found this thread. I don't have a Wing yet, but am looking in earnest, to encourage my wife to ride longer trips with me. Years ago, after a white panel van moved on over and almost put me into a freeway center guardrail, I put louder pipes on mu Vulcan. It never happened again. Was it the pipes? I don't know for sure. I like a good throaty rumble.....very satisfying you know. But, through the years, I've always been impressed by, and respected, the way people on Goldwings could accelerate sharply without all the fuss. Something very cool about that.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
I had that problem years ago with a cement truck. I put a set of air horns on the crash bars of my CB750. Fortunately the Wing has a loud and authoritative horn.

Reactions: dsurley

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
A little simple physics says the sound is coming out behind you as you ride away from it........
so the only ones that hear the pipes in time to see you first are the ones coming up from behind.
If you are meeting someone.... you are passed are at least beside them before they hear you.

I have opted for the bright florescent blind you yellow green for a jacket and helmet

·
Registered
273 Posts
loud pipes are really good for going deaf...after all, who 'd want to listen to the world anyways?

Reactions: dsurley

·
Registered
908 Posts
Used to own a Vulcan with Vance and Hines pipes made my head hurt and I was ashamed of the sound, the popping, and the backfires. Bought my wing from a dealer friend that deals mostly in HD, when he started the wing for the first time all he had to say was it sounded like a small block V-8. He had to hunt for almost a year to get me my wing but told me that I could have any year model and color of HD in a day. Seems that HD owners like the noise to make up for the lack of power, handling, and ride comfort.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My Road King has aftermarket pipes...but they're not really louder, just a deeper rumbling than stock. It's good for what it is. Nothing satisfies the need to ride a Harley better than a Harley.

But, when I'm on my Wing, I'm always entertained by the ability to hear the tires on the pavement. I just don't hear that on my HD. It's a different experience. Both fun for what they are.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Love em both. That’s why I have a Harley and Goldwing. Scarlett, my 2010 Heritage Classic looks and sounds great. She’s my little bad ass. Belle, my 2018 Goldwing DCT Tour is my beautiful classy babe. Shhh, don’t tell my wife about the other two women.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've had one bike with straight pipes. Thought it sounded great, when I bought it.
Ten minutes down the road, I was questioning. After my first highway run, I'd had enough. Shortest bike ownership I've ever had (about an hour). I got another with standard pipes, and was much happier. Having said that, the loud one only went as far as my wife (only rides occasionally, and for short runs), who loved it until she got on a Burgman 650, and then it was gone!

I certainly don't believe they save lives, and if you don't re-tune to accommodate the different breathing, they don't exactly add power, but each to their own.
I don't like to be behind them any more than I do "tricked out" diesel trucks spewing black clouds, neither is my idea of fun, but fortunately I have a Wing, so don't have to be behind for long.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Once we start being passed by electric bikes it’ll make more sense to a lot
I know tinnitus is incurable
I know when you’re counting fuel stops not Kay’s- all you need is the back wheel to rotate and the loud pipe just shut up for a bit please for God’s sake. Still love a bike with some ballsy personality, throaty induction howl, that spins heads not just turns them - but only if I’m riding it.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Actually most straight pipes detract power even is retuned, in general those shorty open pipes are deemed as untunable. As far as electrics, I the one I had was the most fun bike I ever owned. I will be getting another

·
Registered
18 Posts
When I quietly get out of bed, get prepped to ride, and fly out of the garage as quiet as a bird, my Love Dove still remains happily asleep dreaming about more things for the "Honey Do" list.
Silence is Awesome.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Noise wears out quickly 'over the road'....for bar-hopping bikers its probably a good conversation piece.

Reactions: 823Jim and NREMTP

·
Registered
1993 GL1500--1993 Electra Glide--2002 Custom sporty--xr Honda 50 pitbike
25 Posts
When I was young and dumb I didn't think anything of it. Seems like louder the better. Even with cigarette butts for ear plugs they were loud. Now,I appreciate the mellow rumble of a bike. Oh don't get me wrong. I do have one of those loud and obnoxious bikes and what a blast it is to ride .Of course with better ear plugs
Stay Safe
Keep your knees in the breeze

·
Registered
47 Posts
Experience says loud pipes scare the Bighorn sheep away. The tourists at Valley of Fire that day wished I never showed up.

Reactions: fossil92
61 - 80 of 84 Posts