Honda Goldwing Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,833 Posts
I didn't need my neighborhood to know when I came home at night, so I always appreciated the quietness of the Goldwing. Now I have a Corvette with an aftermarket exhaust and they know. LOL

·
Super Moderator
28,657 Posts
Hot Rodder!!!!!

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Two Wheel Wing

·
Super Moderator
9,833 Posts

·
Administrator
25,497 Posts
That's our pal Charlie...always walkin' on the "wild side" >:)

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts

But they do wear
custom ear plugs.

Reactions: Chopin

·
Registered
149 Posts
What you don't have in QUALITY (HD), you make up for in QUANTITY (noise).

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like wings rather on the quieter side, but all others a nice rich & throaty rumble. I've found loud exhausts, like being buffeted by wind, along with engine and general road noise lead to excessive fatigue setting in when you're burning some miles. At least that's worked with me, though take that with a grain of salt because I'm just getting back into riding after a twenty year break(burnout).
I'm going back on my trusty old GL1000 which is a far cry from what the vast majority of you folks ride, but she was my first highway love and I guess shall remain so until death us do part.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Love the sound of my Wing. As someone already mentioned "Sewing Machine". That said agree with everyone about if it is loud I am not following it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm just new to the whole goldwing thing but actually what has brought me from Harley to goldwing is the fact that I can still ride the bike and hear my music which is much more important to me than loud pipes. But I would like a little rumble in a goldwing if it's possible but I don't know which exhaust would provide that.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I'm just new to the whole goldwing thing but actually what has brought me from Harley to goldwing is the fact that I can still ride the bike and hear my music which is much more important to me than loud pipes. But I would like a little rumble in a goldwing if it's possible but I don't know which exhaust would provide that.
I put cobra exhaust on my 2012. Its not too loud on the hwy and has a nice rumble at idle I really like it.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I like the sound of my 2018 Tour. Quiet at low rpm, noticeable but not obnoxious at higher RPM. I had a BMW K1600GTL before this wing, pretty much the same sound levels except higher pitched. I read on the BMW forum: “If you want to see the world, buy a BMW; if you want the world to see you, buy a Harley.” Insert “Goldwing” instead of “BMW”. That sums up my feelings on loud pipes. Mostly people looking for attention.

·
Registered
202 Posts
These days I prefer as little noise as possible, but back in the day, at least one of my bikes was pretty obnoxious... IIRC, the HD's of the 60's vintage had a very well muffled but very pleasing exhaust note - I always liked those... These days, I prefer not to hear loud pipes - my hearing is bad enough already from various loud noises when I was young and stupid and used no hearing protection... I love not to hear my Wing and prefer to ride that way, but I do understand the throaty pipes, especially from the younger riders, but please - no ear splitting noises for this old guy!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
From childhood to about 30 years old i always had a tuned pipe of some type on just about anything i owned, i even cut open the pipes on my first gl1000 many moons ago, but today i think that anyone who changes they’re pipes to extra noisy are looking for attention, the “loud pipes saves lives thing“ is a joke . Its a “look at me” thing. Had some older fella with ridiculous pipes on an indian hurt everyones ears that was waiting on line for a hotdog at a roadside stand , just cause he thought it was cool. In my opinion, the only thing that sounds worse than a twin with loud pipes is a single cylinder. make mine a stealth machine with an electric exhaust dump on a handlebar switch that leads to a less restricted muffler! Where did all of the goldwing riders end up in the walking dead? They were all safe and living quietly up north! The loud pipe guys had their hands full

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
It doesn't matter really. V twins will always have loud pipes and do the constant throttle blipping. From the mechanical standpoint as soon as these guy remove the mufflers they take an already weak engine and remove much needed horsepower. The shortie pipes many are using are rated by speed shops as "untunable" as the gas flow is so poor the engines will actually begin misfiring due to poor air flow.

On one of the other forums there was a long tread running regarding best ear plugs and it went on and on regarding the fit and noise reduction etc. I stayed out of it but was thinking why? Just tone down the exhaust and enjoy passing through the countryside rather than invading it.

I like the quiet of the GL and enjoy the fact we can go all day and NOT be burned out and dizzy by the time we find a motel for the night. our friends who had louder pipes and earplugs were totally done by 5pm and called it a night so the wife and I went out and cruised the local attractions while they decompressed.

I guess this is also why we will not do group rides, We will go to a tractor pull instead :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had moderately loud pipes on a triumph and a Harley. Hearing has suffered. Now I want to hear a meadowlark as I pass by...can’t do that with loud pipes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Every time I have mounted pipes on to something I own I have regretted it and ended up taking them off. I tried pipes on my Honda del sol, a Harley soft tail, a Honda SuperHawk and, most recently, a Vespa GTS 300. In every case, I saw no appreciable increase in horsepower. Many times I lost low end torque. And, after a while, I couldn't stand listening to the sound. I notice Harley owners where I live ride with ear plugs. That solves part of the problem but you still annoy everyone else on the road. Better to just keep the stock pipes and spend your money on something else....

41 - 60 of 84 Posts