Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pole time Oh No!

6K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  LarryinSeattle 
#1 ·
So blk93wing told me I have about 3000 miles left on my tires yesterday. So here goes Oh boy here the worms coming up?
What do you you run for tires. Manufacture, size, tread? Why? Area, cold hot weather? I want the best, on 2 tires it has to be safe in all situations, hot,cold rain etc. Call me anal but 4 wheels is way safer than 2.

#3 ·
Oh well its our safety here. I need to know what everyone thinks. So PM me with you thoughts. Riding a bike isn't a game its real chalenge and complete focus. Tires should be the last worry on your mind. SO lets ged er dun here.

Andy
Darksider #3136
Mich Primacy Alpin PA ZP
Bridgestone G709[/QUOTE]

#4 ·
There a a number of m/t's out there that have good reports from users. Tires by Bridgestone, Dunlop, Metzler and others are available. Some folks run c/t's on their bikes. I'm not familiar with what brands they use, but some will give their input shortly.

A rule of thumb is the cheapest is not always the best deal. So do some reading and research and I'm sure you will end up with the right tire for you and your wing..

#5 ·
I run Dunlop Elite 3's......for now

#8 ·
Oh Boy !!!! A Tire thread........Some one please pass the popcorn with extra butter.......

#11 ·
Doug, the subject of tires is possibly one of the most spirited and lively next to loud exhaust systems saving lives. Lots of opinions abound based on riders experience as there are many die hard m/t riders and others who like the longevity and ride quality of a c/t. Many of us who run a c/t have them listed in our signature. There's allot of archived threads on tires that you can read which is what I did on this forum and several other GW forums before I made my choice. If you're interested in any of the specific tires that some of us list in our signature please PM us for more details.

#14 ·
This really isn't that big of a deal. The guys that run them love them. Some people choose not to run them.

Vanilla/Chocolate
Butter/Margarine
Apple/Orange

Should I keep going?????

It's only a big deal when someone wants to start trouble that's all.;)

#15 ·
Excellent point Bill. In actuality, they're all good. To my knowledge there's no bad or defective tires one may choose. Perhaps the greater risk regarding tires is not brand or type however how we care for them. Tire pressure appears to be #1 as maintaining proper pressure is imperative for longevity and safety. Tires with too high a pressure tend to wear out faster, have a rougher ride and don't grip as well in corners. Too low a pressure results in soft handling and over heats resulting in failure. Running tires that are too old which is a common mistake when one buys a pre-owned bike can also be problematic for failure due to dry rot. And riding on tires that are past the wear bars and cord may be showing can also be dangerous. So in essence, I think tire care may be more important than which tire we choose. I don't think there's necessarily bad choices as they're all good Doug. Once you get past that Doug then you can start looking for the kind of features you like in tires based on the kind of riding you do. Do you want cheap/economical? Looking for the greatest longevity? How sticky are the tires for superb corner handling? What is the payload you're carrying on the bike with rider/passenger and other gear? Do you prefer to stay with OEM? Lot's of choices, but all good ones.

#16 ·
Always ran Dunlops up to the new 1800 which came with the stones. No real complaints about the stones, just changed them with 12,160 on them. Had to go back and try the Dunlops on this bike, have no idea on how they will do on the 1800, just no how they did on the earlier bikes, good milage. One reason I choose the Dunlops is load capacity, the wing is heavy, I'm no stick nor is the SO and I pull a trailer.

#18 ·
My wing came with Metzlers, fisrt set got about 8,000 miles, second set about 7,000. They stuck like glue but just didn't give the mileage. Went to E3's, several sets, wore better than the Metzlers, but just didn't get that warm fuzzy feeling on the handling. Trying out the Avon Venom's right now. 8,000 miles on them right now, still looking real good on tread depth and sidewall condition. Getting a better feeling on these, seem to stick pretty good, but have not gotten into any real rain yet, you know when I say real rain, right? A good gully washer knid of rain. The rear tire feels a little beefier than the others I've had. Price wise, everyone seems to be a few dollars. The way I see it, if I don't like the ones I have on, I'll buy something else next year as I don't usually get more than one season from them anyway. 10,000 miles is quite a bit of 'pleasure riding'.

#19 ·
Well after a lot of research and thinking about my riding style I decided on Dunlap E3's The tires that are on now are Dunlaps that have 18000 miles on them with 2000 to 3000 left on them but real old. They ride great smooth with great cornering. I'm sure the new E3's will fit the bill FOR me. I got a price of 516.00 removed installed balanced out the door. Is that a good price?

#20 ·
Whew!!!....$516.00...That sounds normal for E3's. I forgot how much those bad boys cost. I think I paid $250ish for my rear tire.

#24 ·
kc8cta, was that for Avons or E3s? Last place I got tires, $20 ea to mount and $12 to balance plus lead. I did the R&R on the wheels. I walked out for $430 after tax but did but a couple other things like brake pads also.

$516 with R&R, mount and balance doesn't look too bad for E3's, they are only about $20-25 ea more than the Avons.

#26 · (Edited)
Finally able to get the tires this Saturday morning. My Mom who lives with us has been sick and in the hospital so I just couldn't get there. So Saturday is the day. 516 and change for Dunlap E3's out the door mounted balanced and ready to go. I figured the tires we have are 10 to 12 years old. We've put on 500 + miles on then with ever mile a worry for me. My reason for the urgency for new tires on the bike came from driving my motor home on old tires having a front blowout and nearly loosing it and maybe our lives. 6 tires down to 2= not going to take a chance. Next a side car so mom can go with us, really nice to have your 2 very bestest friends along on a hot summer ride plus mom wants too!. I want a 2 seat Champion with the air conditioning unit. Later on that one.
I got the new tires today- great tires so pair! I have to ware them in a little but they feel wonderfully.Later on how they do.:D

#28 ·
I'm still running the OEM D250 Dunlops on my '09. going to Bridgestone 709s in two weeks. I'd 'consider' an alternative for the rear maybe, but not sure where I'd find a shop to mount it, and I have lots of tire time ahead of me so I'm still a conventional dood.

#29 · (Edited)
Do not, I repeat, do not buy the Stinkos.

http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8595

Above is my review on the Shinko tire. I got 6500 out of one on the front. It still has some tread left but is cupping and so it is done.

At $75 shipped to my door.... doesn't seem like all that long ago I put that tire on. Time for a new tire and that experiment to end. Not sure what I will put on the front, but it will probably be a bias ply.

I am now running a Dunlop Wintersport Run Flat on the back. I am running that tire at 45 psi. This tire has increased my mileage to 68 kpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.