Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a new (used) goldwing and the rear tire had a plug in the middle os the tread. Should I be concerned about this.
Also...what about the wobble at 40 mph...Do I need to by a stabilizer or have new bearings installed???
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
If it is the right type of plug you might not have to worry, but a new tire would be cheap safety insurance. If the bike is an 1800, you have the typical wobble. Anything from a new front tire to stem bearings have been known to correct it.

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
I'm running a plug in my rear tire. Does it concern me: yes and no. It heightens my awareness and checking of tire pressure a bit more than before the plug was installed. When I'm on the move I forget about it. I am, however, riding on a run-on-flat car tire which gives me a little peace of mind that should it deflate I can still get to somewhere down the road. As for the infamous " wobble ", are we talking about the wobble with no hands on the bars ? I am hands off the bars wobble free at the moment compared to my many previous miles. Empirically , for the moment, I attribute the wobble to tires and their wear pattern.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Seattle.

My Formosa car tire was $87 shipped to my door. I now have 16,000 miles on it. Good to go for another 15,000 miles. If my car tire had a flat, I would plug it and ride it for the other 15,000 miles. If I had a motorcycle tire, I would replace it with a car tire.

I am not suggesting that you put a car tire on your bike. I am saying what I would do in your situation. I will never go back to a motorcycle tire on my Wing.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Install RideOn in both tires and ride it!(Double benefit-it also balances the tires) Check the web sight. Make sure you understand how this product works and the area of protection it provides to the tires. Been using it for years w/no ill effects.
Wobble: Some do-many more don't. Rake/trail influences this as well as torque on the head bearings.
If you are experiencing the wobble only when you remove you hands-then don't do that! I am not sure the brand of tire has anything to do with this phenomena or not.
Proper psi might? I have run 42psi since bike was new and have never experienced the wobble. I am now triked and tapered bearings came with the rake kit. Still no wobble.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
I would replace the tire,saw a plug blow out of a mc tire one time.

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
I would do a new rear tire and the ride on stuff is great used it for years and yes no do not take yours hands off at 35 to 50 mph after that it can always be fun.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I would not ride with a plug unless it is to have another tire put on. I used ride-on-tire sealant once. In the front of my Concours, It rode smooth with absolutely no wheel weight but did nothing to increase the life of the tire. It is not suppose to harm the wheels but some have said it does corrode them after a period of time. If you have a TPMS in the wheel DO NOT USE IT. As for the front end wobble, new tires will help but putting tapered bearing in will fix the problem.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Gotta go with the change the tire suggestions. Good tires are cheap insurance.
Don't know about the wobble, have your local Honda Store look at it.

·
Banned
1 Posts
I have a small problem at times with my 1500 Goldwing with 128,000 miles going into 1st gear, at times it will drop in just fine and other times there will be a grinding noise, the other gears are as smooth as silk. Has anyone alse ran into this problem, that does not happen all the time, I'm using a Valvoline motorcycle oil with clutch protection in it like it says on the can! Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
As I average over 1,000 miles per week, I always purchase road hazard on all of my street bikes, just google it and you will find several providers....If it does not have a nail in it put one it....tire and labor or then free...it has paid for itself in one year....As I ride mostly out of town on backroads....I would never put a plug into a tire unless I was trying to get to a place to purchase a new one....I would never ride another bike with a car tire on it...I am a very aggresive rider, and car tires just do not have enough rubber on the road to suit my needs....
Tire and roadhazard normall cost 4-600.00 dollars for 4-5 years and if you plan on riding it is great...I hate having to purchase new tires every 3 months on 3 street bikes

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Tire and roadhazard normall cost 4-600.00 dollars for 4-5 years and if you plan on riding it is great...I hate having to purchase new tires every 3 months on 3 street bikes
Are you kidding? Buy your tires from Cycle Gear and have them mounted by them and the road hazard guarantee per tire is $25 period. :eek:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Not that anyone really asked ... my two cents

"NO PLUGS OR PATCHES!!" :eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
741 Posts
I would never ride another bike with a car tire on it...I am a very aggresive rider, and car tires just do not have enough rubber on the road to suit my needs...
A CT has more rubber on the road that a MT, even at full lean. I am an aggressive rider and there is nothing bad I can honestly say about the CT, especially when it comes to aggressive riding (have you seen my videos of Goldwings at the Racetrack, Laguna Seca and Buttonwillow?). You cannot push a tire harder than that without hitting hard parts and totalling your Wing. Both front and rear tires get hot enough to melt the tread. Advan goobers.jpg

As far as tires with plugs in them, go with your own comfort level. I ride with plugs in my tires until they need changing and never had an incident. If you do not know the history of the tire, i would say replace it because it may have been driven flat, which would compromise the tire carcass, weakening it.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Tire techs and manufacturers will often recommend to NOT ride a bike with plugs in the tires. They will also often NOT recommend a c/t either. What's a body to do? It's a bike, use vigilance.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
The only time I would ride on a plug (and have) is to get me home, or a shop to get a new tire on the bike. When I'm doing the twisties I don't want to think about a plug.

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
The only time I would ride on a plug (and have) is to get me home, or a shop to get a new tire on the bike. When I'm doing the twisties I don't want to think about a plug.
You're right Badrider. It's the thought that counts. When you're riding on a plugged tire you have to focus on not thinking. No problem for me as I'm a natural at it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts