Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my mechanic put a plug in my rear tire because it was not only flat but it also had a nail in it. He said I can either get it fixed at no cost to you or you can spend the $300.00 and buy a new one; I chose the former option. I mostly ride ten miles round trip to and from work. Other than that I will take an occasional hour long or so trip to the lake or beach.

Where am I going wrong? Any other opinions or suggestions? By the way, I gave him $13.00 for the plug job and another ten bucks for replacing my right, front marker light.

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
I've heard that a plug in a bike tire should only be a temporary fix. I suppose if you are just doing local riding and keep an eye on the tire pressure you'd be OK. But if you are doing high speed riding, I personally would replace it.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Good tires are Cheap Insurance. Learned the HARD way.

·
Registered
752 Posts
A small nail in your tire made a small hole. A tire plug and the tools used to install it made the hole much bigger. A better repair would have been to patch the tire from inside. However I would have done the same thing except I would replace my tire as soon as I could afford it.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
I have done the plug and I thanked GOD for every day I got home and it did last untill it was time to replace the tire, but it is your call like lKEN said Good tires are Cheap Insurance. Like you said its close to home, to do a trip I would buy new.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Picked up a screw in my rear on my 1800 Bridgestone. Plugged it and drove it another 6 thousand miles before replacing. Had no problem at all. I didn't use the plug though, I used the strings. It's like everything else though, your gonna get 100 opinions. I'd just drive it and keep an eye on things.:)

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
1. Mushroom head plug
or
2. Patch inside
or
RideOn,(not for TPMS) pull the nail and keep riding
Only concern would be if that nail just happened to cut a cord!

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I'll plug or batch a car tire and drive it until it needs replacing, but I don't go that route with a motorcycle. I plug only long enough to get me where I can replace it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts