Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand spanking new rear tire and found a nail directly in the middle of the tire after getting home. Thinking about using a plug, like I have used on my car tires and never had a problem.

OPINIONS.........

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've searched around for input on this subject and found conflicting opinions. Some say they have done a plug with no problems, but others are opposed to even contemplate using one. Today's MC tires are made well and the only prospects for a catastrophic failure that I could find was if you ran over something that just sliced the tire open or the tire bead separated from the rim due to very low air pressure. I'd really like to know/understand why folks are so opposed to a plug. Is it because the shops tell you it's bad and want to sell you another tire, even though they sell the road kits that have plugs and they even (some shops will) will repair a tire with either an inside patch or a plug. I'm finding it difficult to understand why a motorcycle tire, with the exception of the sidewall, is so vastly different from a car tire, that using a plug to fix it boarders on insanity to some.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rudy, appreciate the response, but we're still not dealing with a definitive issue, only conjecture. I'm trying to find any tangible evidence that a plug on a MC tire is dangerous. All that seems to be forthcoming is folks opinions on why they would not do it, but it's all speculative. I've reviewed where some riders have used a plug and have put many miles on the tire without incident, but have yet to encounter anyone who has used a plug and had problems. This is my quandary, only one side has any quasi tangible information.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
You are asking folks to give you a definitive answer to which there is none. I can't answer for you as to whether you should put your life in danger by using a tire that has been plugged, or that it's no problem so go ahead and ride on it because it will be fine. That's a decision only you can make..

The biggest risk is to the belts that cannot be seen. MC tires do much more flexing due to the way they are designed and have to handle cornering and therefore will have more of a tendency to delaminate that a car tire.

I personally; if I had a flat, would plug the tire and as soon as possible put a new one on. JMHO, you are entitled to yours. Whatever you do,,, ride safe..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Don't wish to seem rude with this response, but both yourself and Rudy, as well intentioned as it may be, are saying the same things.

"You are asking folks to give you a definitive answer to which there is none."

But there are definitive answers. Those that have used plugs have stated the positive. I'm asking if anybody has had a/any negative implications with a plug being used. Nobody has come forth except to speculate that it's unsafe in their opinion to use a plug, but yet and I again repeat myself, MC dealers/shops sell plug kits and some will repair a tire instead of replacement. I'm only getting one side of a situation and I'm looking for further information to attempt to balance a decision. I've been riding for over 50 years and in all that time I've had only one tire failure. It was a rear total blow out, many years ago, when tires were not what they are today. At 55mph the rear just went down to the rim and stayed straight. Was able to bring it to a stop without any problems, but I was going in a straight line at the time. If I was on a curve, most likely it would have been a much different story. I appreciate everyone's opinion, but I'm looking for anything factual that happened to anyone, not speculations because the industry has dictated it should be this way. When I see dealers selling the kits and doing repairs, I'm getting a mixed signal and kind of contradictory in my opinion.

I put this question up there in the same vane as folks putting a car tire on a bike. Some folks claim it's lunacy, but several folks have done it and they claim it's no big thing. They even go so far as to stipulate that the tire lasts 4 times as long as a MC tire. So whose right?.....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wow...pick a good subject why not!!
I have patched my M/C tires in the past, but only the rear, and not a big nail or hole. I got my new Goldwing home, and had run over a small brad, tiny, tiny, but it leaked down to 25lbs in about 4 days. I plugged it, used a small plug I cut from a large one. I made sure I had a lot of rubber cement on the plug, and plugged the small hole. That was at 80 miles, I now have 1004 with no more leak or bouncy ride from out of balance. I also have the tire pressure sensor on the wheel, so I get an early warning if it starts to leak again.
But you are right...you have to do what you think is right. There is not a one right answer for every situation.
Chris

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Disco, the reason dealers sell plug kits is to get you to a shop if it's only a small hole. I had a friend that would plug his tire if the puncture was in the middle, and ride it until it needs to be replaced, another friends put a a set of new tires on his Gold Wing, went to dinner and when he came out the rear was flat, he had picked up a nail, he put a plug in it and had another rear tire put on the next day. It's your life, if you want to take a chance than do it, but for me it's not worth the $250.00 to chance it.
My 02 Gold Wing was trouble free but I sold it because of the frame issue with them. I had the recall done so it should have been safe, but in the back of my mind the issue was still there. Many frames have cracked after the re weld was done. I now have an 08 and don't worry about the frame cracking.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Don't wish to seem rude with this response, but both yourself and Rudy, as well intentioned as it may be,....
I don't think you are being "rude", but my post is "well intended". Because I lack specific data/facts I'm giving you my opinion and that is..... I would never recommend to someone that they should do something that I myself would not do.. Nor would I want to live with the consequences of my bad advice.. Ride safe and enjoy the ride..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think you are being "rude", but my post is "well intended". Because I lack specific data/facts I'm giving you my opinion and that is..... I would never recommend to someone that they should do something that I myself would not do.. Nor would I want to live with the consequences of my bad advice.. Ride safe and enjoy the ride..

And I do thank you for your responses and opinions......:)

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
if it were me i would plug it to get home and buy a new tire. have you ever had to plug a tire disco?

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Plugs in m/c tyres are a bandaid, not a fix. Period. The manufacturers say so, dealerships say so, and the plug kit manufacturers say so, and for what it's worth I say so. A plug should get you home or to a shop but that's all they are intended for, the rest as mentioned multiple time above is up to you. It's like a helmet, if you have a ten dollar head, get a dime store lid.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've no experience with plugs in motorcycle tires but do have a fair amount of experience in other vehicles. Even in the late '60s when I was working in a gas station and repairing probably 10 flats a day, a plug was considered as a less than permanent repair. It was something you did to a tire which didn't have much life left and you didn't want to spend the extra .75 (back then) to have the tire broken down and a vulcanized patch installed.

The main reason I would never trust a plug in a motorcycle tire is the angles and different stresses applied to a motorcycle tire when compared to an automotive tire. I have a compact utility tractor that I use to maintain ground at my home and at our 40 acre patch. The front tires have gone through heck with locust and hedge trees and had several plugs in them. These are the good arrowhead shaped plugs that you put in with a gun, not the strips of rubber that find in most emergency kits. Last year while cutting the pasture, I made a turn and thought I had blown the radiator. Green fog everywhere. It turned out that a plug in the front tire had been pulled out as I made the turn. The green fog was from the fact that I also had a quart of Slime in each tire to seal smaller holes. Apparently, the lateral stresses applied during the turn were enough to flex the tire and the right time for the small amount of the plug sticking out between tire cleats to grab the ground and rip it out. This one example would keep me from ever trusting a plug as a permanent repair for a motorcycle tire.

One thing I've never quite understood is the aversion to having a cycle tire properly patched with a vulcanizing patch. I have patched multiple car tires and had those patches outlive the rest of the tire carcass. Maybe it's related to the cost of having a cycle tire removed and broken down if you don't or can't do it yourself. By the time you pay someone else to do it, the cost of the tire is probably less than the labor. :(

Hoss

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if it were me i would plug it to get home and buy a new tire. have you ever had to plug a tire disco?
Have plugged many car tires without any problems and have had those tires on the car for a number of years until they finally had to be replaced.

One thing I've never quite understood is the aversion to having a cycle tire properly patched with a vulcanizing patch. I have patched multiple car tires and had those patches outlive the rest of the tire carcass. Maybe it's related to the cost of having a cycle tire removed and broken down if you don't or can't do it yourself. By the time you pay someone else to do it, the cost of the tire is probably less than the labor.

Looking at the Dunlap web site, they state that even putting a tube in with a patch is not good, but they don't say why. Maybe I'm totally hard headed, but I just find it difficult to just take the word of an industry that sells and wants you to buy. At least CVHoss, you offered a viable insight into an experience you had with plugs. What was interesting is that those arrowhead/mushroom shaped plugs you mentioned were actually outlawed in California because they didn't work. There was nothing to glue or heat vulcanize the plug to the tire, they were held in place just by internal air pressure. That's a plug that has bad history and I most assuredly would not use it, but you can still buy those kits with those plugs on ebay and other sites. I totally realize that folks have an aversion to using plugs because the industry says so and they are well intentioned in their reply's, but as yet, with the exception to CVHoss's reply, there has not been one person that has offered any real applicable information that they used a plug on a MC tire and had negative results. That's all I'm looking for, some data that is not tainted by industry rhetoric and speculation, for folks have replied on other boards that they have plugged with no problems and have driven many miles and are still going strong. To be honest, CVHoss's reply with the account of a failed plug was actually not that valuable, because the tire in question had multiple defects and a bad plug to boot, but at least it offered some insight into the other side of the coin.

I realize that some of you guys may think I'm crazy to even entertain this line of thinking, but it's folks that have delved away from the status quo that have produced information for the general public's enlightenment.

·
Registered
87 Posts
.................What was interesting is that those arrowhead/mushroom shaped plugs you mentioned were actually outlawed in California because they didn't work. There was nothing to glue or heat vulcanize the plug to the tire, they were held in place just by internal air pressure. That's a plug that has bad history and I most assuredly would not use it, but you can still buy those kits with those plugs on ebay and other sites. ............
That's odd because I've never used that type of plug that I didn't use adhesive with it. I can't seem to link to a page at J.C. Whitney but if you go to their home page and do a search on this SKU number:

1JA 127276

you can see the kit I'm talking about. Text from their description is:

PROFESSIONAL DOUBLE-SEAL TUBELESS TIRE REPAIR GUN KIT

Professional caliber. Gun forces plug into hole and double-seals tire. Mushroom-headed plug expands to seal inside of tire, the body of plug seals tread. Includes gun with 2 nozzles, probe, fifty 5/16" plugs, fifteen 7/16" plugs, 8 oz. of nonflammable chemical cement and instructions. Also available (sold separately): additional plugs, vulcanizing plugs, vulcanizing cement and replacement nozzles
Hoss

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PROFESSIONAL DOUBLE-SEAL TUBELESS TIRE REPAIR GUN KIT

Professional caliber. Gun forces plug into hole and double-seals tire. Mushroom-headed plug expands to seal inside of tire, the body of plug seals tread. Includes gun with 2 nozzles, probe, fifty 5/16" plugs, fifteen 7/16" plugs, 8 oz. of nonflammable chemical cement and instructions. Also available (sold separately): additional plugs, vulcanizing plugs, vulcanizing cement and replacement nozzles

I guess they upgraded the product, but the information I got was on another site that stated that the older(?) plugs of that type were faulty and lawsuits resulted from them in California.

Reading the product info, vulcanizing plugs, vulcanizing cement sold separately.........You have to wonder why it's not included in the kit and just how good is the chemical cement that is included.

The subject offers some interest, just for the aspect of attempting to gather any practical applications, pro or con.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
OK, so do you need to plug your existing tyre, or just fishing for information for future benefit/use? If you need more "opinion" on the use of plugs, ask a MSF instructor. I'd bet money on what the answer will be. But then, it won't be factual so it may not hold any credibility for you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
............I guess they upgraded the product, but the information I got was on another site that stated that the older(?) plugs of that type were faulty and lawsuits resulted from them in California.................
I don't live in California but I wouldn't doubt anything they would do. I can say that when I was a teenager working in the gas station in the '60s (about 43 years ago), every plug I installed had adhesive used on it.

...........You have to wonder why it's not included in the kit and just how good is the chemical cement that is included.................
Re-read it again. It does come with the cement:
Includes gun with 2 nozzles, probe, fifty 5/16" plugs, fifteen 7/16" plugs, 8 oz. of nonflammable chemical cement and instructions.​

By saying:
Also available (sold separately): additional plugs, vulcanizing plugs, vulcanizing cement and replacement nozzles​
they're just letting you know that you can resupply the kit without having to pay for a new application gun or other accessories.

Hoss

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
About 3 years ago I was heading up to northern country (Haliburton). I got a screw in my back tire. I put a string style plug in my tire and road a bit to an auto repair not far away. I had him check the plug and he told me I did a good job. and I kept riding north. A ways away the plug popped out. This happened a second time on the same ride, so after plugging it again I decided to head home. I made it home and replaced the tire the next day.
About a year later a group of us went riding the twistys in Pa. The lead bike got a flat and I put in a mushroom style plug I bought at a bike show. This worked for some time. but when we were on a tar road with stones stuck on it the plug let go again. He decided to head back to Canada and replace the tire.
No doubt in my mind, I will plug a tire to get me where am going then replace the tire asap. Flying around the twistys I want the best odds to get me there safe.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
I have tried the string style plug about 12 months ago to get me home.I was working in Kalgoorlie Western Australia. I got a flat 60miles before the South Australian border.There are no services out here.The first plug got me about 400 miles. The second plug got me home about 550 miles where the tire was replaced.It was not a good feeling riding with a plug at high speeds and I think it is only an emergence fix to get you home.I have only had 3 flats on a motor bike, 2 on the rear, 1 on the front One on the rear caused a tank slapper.The other it just moved around a bit and I was not sure what had happend.The one on the front the bike just dont want to turn and was very hard to control.A nd that was on a straight road.I have only had the use of a plug for the last flat and I thought it was great for what it was intended to do ,get you home.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts