Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every 1. Just signed up. Have a problem , have a 83 gold wing. 1100. Every time I hit bump. Radio goes out. I play fonzy from happy days Then starts playing again. How do I remove this piece of sh:t.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Where do you call home?? Sounds like some kind of short in the radio or bad connection. Someone with a 1100 will chime in here shortly with some real help. Ride safe and enjoy the site...

·
Registered
331 Posts
In order to help you, we need more information. "The radio goes out" doesn't tell us anything.

Does the power go out? NO lights, NO display, etc., or does the actual radio stay ON, and just the sound cuts out? When the radio goes out, do the other components still work? the intercom, or the CB, etc.?

I will assume you have the Hondaline fairing and the Type II radio system. If you have the other one, with the radio in a plastic housing just under the windshield, you can still use most of this advice.

There are several connectors involved with the radio system on that bike. Rather than take it out, you probably are better off removing the left fairing pocket and the fairing left turn signal light, finding the six or seven .. or 12 (?) cables that come out of the radio and the communications units (CB/intercom/radio/cassette player/headset etc.) and one at a time, unplug each connection, spray some contact cleaner into each end and reconnect them.

You can also remove the tank cover and get at those connectors. Judging from the age of the bike, this is probably a really good thing to do in general. Those connection are ... 27 YEARS old? Chances are you'll find a bit of corrosion in them! You might make it a weekend or week long project, depending on your mechanical skills. Simply strip the bike down a bit, and clean and reconnect every electrical connection you can find one at a time. Use the new electrical contact grease when you plug them back in so they will resist future corrosion. Don't forget the connection under the seat.

WARNING! Contact cleaner is FLAMMABLE so you MUST disconnect the battery when you use this spray. If you don't you risk a fluid connection between a hot and a ground and that could ignite the spray and ruin your whole day!

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Bubba 1st Welcome to the GWOF. We have some good people here & equally good discussion.

Here's a little different aproach if you need it & the other info doesn't solve your issues. Call these people, take out the radio & send it to them. They repair them. I would call them 1st.

http://www.sierra-mc.com/

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hello bubba,welcome to GWOF. is it a factory radio or aftermarket

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome Bubba. Is it a Honda/Clarion radio set? It should remove with the key if it is. The amplifier should be inside the fairing on the right front, and the tuner on the right side below the glove box. Pick yourself out an avatar too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts