Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All: After much encouragement by some of you I have decided to buy a used GW. I'm looking at a 02 with 125k miles for $7200. I have not yet inspected it but it's supposed to be in mint condition nor do I have any riding experience on GWs but I have ridden a fair number of bikes. The high mileage concerns me but I cann't afford a pricy toy now. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Steve
Denver

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
I might be wrong, but that price seems a little high for that many miles. I realize it is an 1800, but a good 1500 with less miles sells for around $5,000.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
That does seem steep. Don't know the area, but I picked up my 2002 - 1800 for 9K with 41000 miles. The loan value was 10,500 i believe.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
I agree with the 2 previous posters regarding price and a less expensive 1500. But I would not be scared off by the mileage. If the bike has been maintained well it can easily go another 125K.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts

The time to buy a bike is when you see it and the price is agreeable to you. If you hesitate, that bike could very well be gone.

Welcome to the forum from Seattle.

I highly recommend the GWRRA groups (Goldwing Road Riders Association) to find folks who ride wings in your area.

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Steve, A couple thoughts if I may.

#1 - You are not shopping at the best time for you (The buyer). Right now you will spend more. To be honest you will get a much better deal late in year or winter.
#2 - I agree with everyone on the price. I would say if you could get the bike for 6500. you would be making a decent deal.
#3 - Although you say mint condition I would counter by asking in who's opinion? I know people sometimes think their bikes are nicer than they actually are. The only example I could judge by is one of our members JoeinCalif sold his 1800 some months ago. That bike I would have considered mint condition. If you search his threads he posted here & there are pictures of it to guage by.
#4 - In a way Larry's point is correct. I always sum it up saying "If the bike calls you " when you look at it then you most likely have a winner. The other side of that coin is Don't hurry there are plenty I mean plenty of used Wings out there. If you have to pass on this one just keep looking you will find one.

Good Luck on your search.
PS.
Make sure all the recalls were completed on the 2002 although I suspect with that kind of mileage they probably were.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If the owner has kept a maintenance log w/receipts, that would be a big plus!
No maintenance records-I'd walk and look elsewhere before buying one w/that kind of mileage!

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I think the 02's were free of the frame recall. That didnt start until 03. I have an 04 with 113K miles, good shape, I would not consider 6500 for it. If you dont get this one, there are more fish in the sea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts